Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How many Satellites can an Orbi RBR40 suport

SeniorLouie
Aspirant

How many Satellites can an Orbi RBR40 suport

I find myself in need to have another sattlites to cover my outdoor security cameras and I wanted to verify if the Orbi RBR40 can support more than 3 sattelites. I have seen on the Web that some say it can support up to six but before I go out and buy another one I want to make sure that is true. Also do I have to stick to the RBR20 or can I use any of the Orbi sattelites to add the coverage? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How many Satellites can an Orbi RBR40 suport

Yes, people have indeed reported six or more satellites.  Any model of the "original Orbi" product line will work (RBS50, RBS40, RBS20, RBW30, RBS50Y)  But NOT the RBS10 (the cheapest and most readily available).  And NOT the Orbi Pro or Orbi AX models.

From what I have read, there is a technique to adding satellites after the first three:  Temporarily power off one of the satellites, which will free up space in the "Add a satellite" web page to add another one.  After it is sync'd, then power the original satellite back on.  To add number five, power off two.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, people have indeed reported six or more satellites.  Any model of the "original Orbi" product line will work (RBS50, RBS40, RBS20, RBW30, RBS50Y)  But NOT the RBS10 (the cheapest and most readily available).  And NOT the Orbi Pro or Orbi AX models.

From what I have read, there is a technique to adding satellites after the first three:  Temporarily power off one of the satellites, which will free up space in the "Add a satellite" web page to add another one.  After it is sync'd, then power the original satellite back on.  To add number five, power off two.

Message 2 of 6
SeniorLouie
Aspirant

thank you for your quick response - so the RBR40 is also a qualified product for adding an additional sattelite? Just rying to ensure since you did not list it specifically.

Thank you

Message 3 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@SeniorLouie wrote:

I find myself in need to have another sattlites to cover my outdoor security cameras and I wanted to verify if the Orbi RBR40 can support more than 3 sattelites. I have seen on the Web that some say it can support up to six but before I go out and buy another one I want to make sure that is true. Also do I have to stick to the RBR20 or can I use any of the Orbi sattelites to add the coverage? Thank you for any help you can provide.

The most we have done is 6 with no issues. However they were configured in a spoke and wheel setup with Daisy Chaining off.

Never tried long distance using Daisy Chaining.

Message 4 of 6
SeniorLouie
Aspirant

Wanted to say a final thank you to all of you who helped me out. Got the Orbi RBS40V today and it was a piece of cake to sync and update the firmware. Alexia voice was also easy to setup. Stumbled the first time I tried to sync because I forgot to unplug one of the Sattilites first. Once I did that worked like a charm.

Message 5 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

Glad to hear it. The RBS40V is a very nice satellite, just as powerful as the RBS40 but with the extra.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7