Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How many device connection at one time on orbi RBK53 plus 2 satellites

xiaolin
Aspirant

How many device connection at one time on orbi RBK53 plus 2 satellites

How many device  ( wireless ) connection at one time  does  RBK 53 ( with 2 Satellites ) support  ?  I seached on line, there are difference answers .

1 below  link said it can support 50-60 server  , but docusment does not say which model  he use.

https://kb.netgear.com/31097/How-many-devices-can-my-Orbi-system-support

2. below link said Netgear orbi can ony support 20 , orbi pro can support 40 .

https://justclickappliances.com/netgear-orbi-vs-orbi-pro-differences-explained/

i will use these at Church wifi connection.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How many device connection at one time on orbi RBK53 plus 2 satellites

"Number of devices" is different than number of devices with good performance.  Orbi can assign IP addresses to at most 254 devices via DHCP.  By tinkering with the subnet mask, devices with fixed IP's can add to that total.

You mention a church WiFi.  If the intention is to have a congregation of several hundred all connect to WiFi at the same time, that's not feasible.  If you want under 250 at one time and they are not doing very much" (i.e. not streaming video), then Orbi can handle the connections if your internet feed can.

Orbi is intended for residential (not commercial) use.  There are community members who have more than 100 devices connected to an Orbi.  People routinely mention more than 30-40 devices.  I am not aware of any community member who has reported more than 200.

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@xiaolin wrote:

How many device  ( wireless ) connection at one time  does  RBK 53 ( with 2 Satellites ) support  ? ........

There are a number of aspects that you need to consider here:

1. Orbi -in Router Mode- can give IP addresses to maximum of 254 devices as mentioned by @CrimpOn 
  2. Those devices will create a number of sessions depending on the apps and services these devices are running. The limit is in the number of NAT sessions towards Internet. One device can request multiple sessions. Orbi can support up to 65536 sessions.
  3. Those sessions are kept up even if not used by the device until a timeout is reached. The tcp sessions (e.g. SSH, FTP, telnet, sending & receiving email,.....) have default timeout of 2 hours and the udp sessions (e.g. Media streaming, most games, local broadcast mechanisms,....) have a default value of 2 minutes. So sessions will just accumulate if the users don't "kill" them.
  4. The speed and quality of service that will be given to each device does not depend much on number of attached devices but on the bandwidth that each devices uses from the total bandwidth that you have from the ISP. So if many devices are running HD videos then the other devices will have difficulty to use internet although that all these devices have IP addresses and are assigned tcp/udp sessions.
  5. Based on the above, it's important to check with the ISP the capability of the internet modem in terms of maximum thoughput, number of sessions and session timeouts.
Message 3 of 5
xiaolin
Aspirant

Ekhalil and CrimpOn ,

Thank you both , it is very clear now.

thanks.xiaolin

Message 4 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@xiaolin wrote: