Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How many feet can a Back Hauled Satellite be located from Router?

JCORBI
Tutor

How many feet can a Back Hauled Satellite be located from Router?

I have "poor" connection indicated in Admin and in the app it has a yellow dot. My garage is about 50 feet from the house but by the time it goes through the house and garage Ethernet cable from router to sat is about 100 feet. I thought I had researched this and was confident I found the right product. I do not believe the product page even lists how long you can do a back haul. Now I'm told by support that you should only go 30 to 60 feet! WA??? Can anyone confirm THAT is the truth 30 to 60 feet is all you get on an ethernet back haul? I'm on Firmware 2.5.1.8, and will go to 2.5.1.16. But I can't imagine that is going to improve it. Assuming that does not do it, Any ideas? I guess I could relocate the router in the house about 30 feet closer to the garage (if I had to, hassle).

Thanks.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How many feet can a Back Hauled Satellite be located from Router?

Wireless backhaul yes, 30 to upwards of 60 some have posted having there RBS connected to the RBR. 

Wire ethernet connected only depends on the length of the cable so if you have 100Ft between the RBR and the remote location, the RBS will work ethernet connected. 

Its recommended to first connect the RBS to the RBR while in the same room. Wirelessly, then wired temporarily. You might do a IP address reservation on the RBR for the RBS so you can keep track of there IP addresses. Once this is done. Turn OFF the RBS and place and connect the RBS in the remote location with the ethernet cable there which the other end should be connected to the back of the RBR. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Wireless backhaul yes, 30 to upwards of 60 some have posted having there RBS connected to the RBR. 

Wire ethernet connected only depends on the length of the cable so if you have 100Ft between the RBR and the remote location, the RBS will work ethernet connected. 

Its recommended to first connect the RBS to the RBR while in the same room. Wirelessly, then wired temporarily. You might do a IP address reservation on the RBR for the RBS so you can keep track of there IP addresses. Once this is done. Turn OFF the RBS and place and connect the RBS in the remote location with the ethernet cable there which the other end should be connected to the back of the RBR. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38is correct that ethernet backhaul can be as far as the ethernet cable is rated for.  To achieve a full 1GB ethernet backhaul, it would need to be no longer than 100m (328 ft.) 

https://serverfault.com/questions/390680/max-distance-for-cat5e-in-1000mbps-1-gigabit 

This is actually 90m. of "jack to jack" cable plus 3m of patch cable on each end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable 

Message 3 of 7
JCORBI
Tutor

The cable is cat 5e, 350 MHz. I am running it unit to unit with no patch cables. So the support person was reading the *WIRELESS* distance (30 to 60 ft.), even though I was clear about it being a hard wired ethernet back haul? So if I'm only a third of the max it's odd I'm having issues. At least your advise is I should be fine if set up right. I will update the firmware (have to bring the sat in beside to do it anyway) but not sure I can do the IP thing mentioned above. I am no network guy. I'm scared. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Firmware release level has no relevance to this issue.  Every firmware version for the past year (or more) has supported ethernet backhaul.

Make certain that it works using a ethernet patch cable when the router and satellite are in the same room, then relocate the satellite.

Message 5 of 7
JCORBI
Tutor

Success!!! I was about to report I updated things and relocated to garage and ended up with a purple dot on the Sat. But after at least 5 minutes it popped up green! I think it being so long between updates and being turned off and on through power failures etc. it just got a glitch in properly comunicating. Needed a fresh install, as sometimes you have to do. Thanks so much to both of you (I will try and give you both a solve), I was really getting worried when Netgear Support (themselves) said my ETHERNET connected Sat needed to be 30 to 60 feet away. Obviousely you have the correct info. I'm back baby! Also learned instead of buying support (for 3 months) I should have come here to get some friendly advice. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

I would update the CAT5e to CAT6 or later at some point. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7