Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How many satelites does a RBK50 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System support?

sillyusername
Follower

How many satelites does a RBK50 — Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System support?

I am considering the Orbi RBK50 for my home. It is a large home spread out over a single storey, with a lot of brick and glass. 
The fibre has been terminated by the ISP in the worst place possible for this home, but i cannot change that as I am renting. 
So, i need wifi to extend about 50m from where the router will be connected in 3 different directions, through glass ranch slider doors and windows. 

I see the RBK50 pack is 1 router and 1 satelite. Can i add additional satelites? If so, how many? 
I currently have a Google WiFi kit but it complains when you try hook up additional satelites b/c they are too far from the main router (implying that it's not a true mesh, else it could just piggyback off the other mesh points?). 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
aani75
Apprentice

I added 6 satellites and working fine for me. I have 5000 sq ft on 3 stories covered by 2 satellite on each floor and RBK50 in the center of the Basement.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I have a 5000sq ft hone, two story. Have the Orib base at one end and just one satellite at the other end at about 40 feet in between. Great coverage and performances. 

30 feet is recommended in between base and satellite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials.

Add what you see fit or what the system seems to lack in if you have a wide area to cover.

Daisy Chain is NG piggy back feature for satellites. 

Message 3 of 10
DickDuke
Apprentice

The RBK53 should do it. RBR50 router plus 2 satellites. Latest firmware supports daisy chaining, so you should have no problem covering up to about 100 linear feet. Maybe  as much as 10000 square feet.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 4 of 10
SMM_CO
Aspirant

I have a 3 unit setup of RBK50 (Router, 2 satelites). Need to add two more.  

Why is the Orbi system limited to 3 satelites? 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

NG seems to think that a router plus two is good for most general large house holds. In most cases is it. 

The router alone can cover up to 1500 sq ft. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Other posters have mentioned adding 3 more satellites on to there existing systems...

@SMM_CO wrote:

I have a 3 unit setup of RBK50 (Router, 2 satelites). Need to add two more.  

Why is the Orbi system limited to 3 satelites? 

Message 6 of 10
SMM_CO
Aspirant

The size of the house is 8,200 sq ft. I have a couple of smart devices that are beyond the sq ftg of the house on the other side of a large garage. Plus Verizon and AT&T have terrible coverage at the address so WiFi enabled calls drop in the garage.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya thats pretty large for a home and probably needs 1 or two more satellites. You can add them were needed. Orbi makes this possible. 

Have you checking into using microcells for your cell phones? I have one for ATT. Get bad signal where I'm at. Microcell helps for my phones here at the house. 

Message 8 of 10
SMM_CO
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions.  

Do you have to set up the satelites to daisy-chain or will they do that on their own?  Alternatively, I can connect the node furthest from the router (a new 3rd satelite) via ethernet.  Not sure if I have to do anything special to have a mixed back channel (two satelites wireless & one wired).  Perhaps you have some thoughts on this? 

I tried Verizon's version of the micro tower.  It worked ok.  Once Verizon enabled cell coverage via the internet, I unplugged the micro tower and used my orbi network for wireless calling.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to set up satellites for Daisy chain. Placement is key and they should be placed in a linear line starting out from the router and going outwards all in line to make use of the Daisy Chain feature. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7