Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How "transparent" is AP switching supposed to be?

webminster
Luminary

How "transparent" is AP switching supposed to be?

Orbi router and satellite pair, running 2.1.2.18.  Subject says it all... Noticed on Samsung S5 and my brand new LG V30 running Nougat.   Seems like as I wander I get switched between satellite and router, with associated disconnect/reconnect on phone.  Is that the norm, a hard switchover with reconnection?

I've some issues with clients wandering betwen the two units anyway.   I do not have beamforming or MUMIMO options enabled, and have the transmit power at 100%.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
PyroDog
Apprentice

As far as I know the switchover should happen seamlessly. I have experienced a plethora of problems with my Orbi system but never hard disconnects when roaming. Have you tried wnadering with other devices to see if the same thing happens?

Message 2 of 9
budy
Luminary

I don't seem to have any issue with roaming between my router and my satellite. Actually, there are a number of RFCs regarding roaming of wireless clients and I chose the Orbi system, since they supported all of the current RFCs. However, it also depends on the wifi stack on the client, if it supports the newer protocol additions. So, I can't speak for any Android client, but all of my iOS clients do roam around very well and I never noticed any hiccups.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 9
PyroDog
Apprentice

Do you have Fast Roaming enabled under Advanced Wireless Settings?

Message 4 of 9
webminster
Luminary

No, fast roaming not enabled.  And thanks for replies so far.

My old S5 did a lot better than this new V30 (Android 7.x).   I didn't have too many issues with the S5, but this new V30 is pretty constantly disconnecting, moving between 2.4 and 5 GHz,  and swapping APs.   Considering returning it and going for the Samsung S8 as a comparison (and desperation) - not that I want another Samsung phone...

Message 5 of 9
SouthernUtahBoy
Aspirant

I also have an LG V30, and as I roam the house, and even sometimes when I am just sitting on my couch, my V30 will suddenly disconnect, and then reconnect. Highly annoying because sometimes I am casting from my phone to my chromecast connected to my AV receiver, and it interupts the connection. I also don't like it because I don't have an unlimted data plan, and worry about it running my data down faster than it normally would. I don't know what to think, I have not tried contacting Netgear support yet. I think even if I call Netgear, they will point the finger at LG and say it's my phone's fault, and if I call my wireless carrier, or LG, they will point the finger at Netgear and say it's my router. Not sure if it's worth spending hours and hours on the phone trying to diagnose it. Starting to have buyers remorse with this Orbi system because I feel like I shouldn't be having this problem. I also don't have any of those extra options enabled such as beamforming, MIMO, fast switching, because so far from what I have read, everyone says it might make it worse. Just wondering if anyone actually has the fast switching enabled, and if it helped solve any roaming issues? Also, is there a way to FORCE a cell phone to stay connected to the router and not ever transfer to the satellite (which would kinda suck, but would be worth it to solve the problem)? I also heard that some people solved their roaming issues with the ORBI system by connecting to 2.4 GHz only, and not using 5 GHz at all on the device that's having the issue. Not sure how to set that up or try that out either.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is your Orbi using?

How far are you away from the router or satellite with this device?

Try enableing Beamforming and Fast Roaming and see if anything differs. If your devcies supports MIMO, then you can enabled this as well. You'll have to check with the devices Mfr to see what it supports.

Try using manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channels on 5Ghz.

@SouthernUtahBoy wrote:

I also have an LG V30, and as I roam the house, and even sometimes when I am just sitting on my couch, my V30 will suddenly disconnect, and then reconnect. Highly annoying because sometimes I am casting from my phone to my chromecast connected to my AV receiver, and it interupts the connection. I also don't like it because I don't have an unlimted data plan, and worry about it running my data down faster than it normally would. I don't know what to think, I have not tried contacting Netgear support yet. I think even if I call Netgear, they will point the finger at LG and say it's my phone's fault, and if I call my wireless carrier, or LG, they will point the finger at Netgear and say it's my router. Not sure if it's worth spending hours and hours on the phone trying to diagnose it. Starting to have buyers remorse with this Orbi system because I feel like I shouldn't be having this problem. I also don't have any of those extra options enabled such as beamforming, MIMO, fast switching, because so far from what I have read, everyone says it might make it worse. Just wondering if anyone actually has the fast switching enabled, and if it helped solve any roaming issues? Also, is there a way to FORCE a cell phone to stay connected to the router and not ever transfer to the satellite (which would kinda suck, but would be worth it to solve the problem)? I also heard that some people solved their roaming issues with the ORBI system by connecting to 2.4 GHz only, and not using 5 GHz at all on the device that's having the issue. Not sure how to set that up or try that out either.

Message 7 of 9
webminster
Luminary

When I posted that question way back when, I'd just gotten the V30.  Shortly after, I decided as much as I generally liked it, it had some fundamental problems.   Took is back and replaced it with an S8.  No Samsung fan, but it worked better on wifi (and a other things).

Message 8 of 9
budy
Luminary

The problem is, that you would have to know on which AP the device has actually been logged in - and be quite quick to check that, when you're noticing connection resets. You can tell  that by looking at the BSSID, if that's visible on your phone. If not, there are probably some tools available to check on that.

Than compile a list and check if the phone really roams between the APs or if it's maybe just switching from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and back. I have seen that on my iPhone X happen from time to time, though never when the device had an "active" connection, but rather when it came back from sleep.

The thing is, that the established connections shouldn't be affected in any case, since your device is actually not leaving the network domain and is should only take milliseconds before the ARP caches of APs update and forward the packets to/from your device accordingly. This is the purpose of a mesh wlan and the seamless handover - however, real-time protocols like VoIP and audio streaming are likely to be most affected by a roaming event.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7