Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How’s orbi now vs 4 months ago?

nizmoz
Apprentice

How’s orbi now vs 4 months ago?

I had orbi since it was released, and got rid of it 4 months ago for EERO.  I was fed up with Orbi buggy firmware and my Apple devices being disconnected all the time.  

So, EERO has been good in some cases and bad in others.  They don’t support my 6183 modem so I had to put an ASUS Router between them.  They also have issues where devices get stuck on 2.4 ghz and not 5ghz.  Also roaming issues, and wifi calling issues.  

I had Gen 1 of EERO, and took it back last weekend and got GEN 2, and same issues.  I also do not see any speed increase between them.  

I am tempted to try Orbi again, but want to see if those issues were fixed?

Message 1 of 7
nizmoz
Apprentice

37 views and no comments?  lol

Message 2 of 7
loomis1975
Luminary

Unsettled.  When you have a bunch of general members on a range of beta firmware and public released firmware, kinda of have to say its a bit up in the air at the moment.

From my experience it is a better situation firmware-wise from Feb-March, but I cannot say that your issues have been completely resolved.

Message 3 of 7
charlie190
Guide

I just installed the beta firmware and re-enabled MU MIMO and beamforming. I've noticed the performance increase significantly, and we'll see if my Apple products still drop off.

I'm encouraged that the firmware is getting updated on a regular basis, and I've also noticed fewer drops in the last few months.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 7

@nizmoz wrote:

I am tempted to try Orbi again, but want to see if those issues were fixed?

the issue is there are 2 distinct camps here , those like me that have had perfect working orbi's since day 1 and then those with seemingly many issues , i cant say why mine works perfectly on any device any where in the house with no drop out etc etc but there it is

if you want to try it again just buy from a place that has a good refund policy

Message 5 of 7
timch
Luminary

My take on this question is that I roiginally wa shaving problems in intermittantly losing iPad and iPhone connections throughout my house.  Problems were particularly bad on the margins of reception.  Upon receiving a beta firmware, the iOS issues disappeared and perhaps more interestingly I saw a marked inprovement in recpetion quality and speed at the marginal areas of reception (I live in a 5 storey brick terraced town house in London which is a pretty difficult Wifi environment).  What is partularly encouraging is that in the one remaining marginal reception area I get no iOS  issues.  I have also clearly demonstarted to myself that teh router sat backhaul is robust and fast.  

Conclusions. 1. the beta formware has given me a step change in performance and removed my problems.

2. the support from Netgear has been excellent with follow up messages from the support team checking that I am content.

3. now it works the ability to wirelessly stream UHD video throughout the house, and seamlessly hold a VOIP conversation as I wander round is just what I wanted and the performance now exceeds my expectations.

Message 6 of 7
nizmoz
Apprentice

Looks like I will stay with EERO as they were able to resolve some of my issues recently.  Netgear seems to still have not fixed the major issues with the Orbi system since I owned it.  And now that EERO has surpassed Orbi, I will stick with them. Especially when their promises are always taken care of where Netgear never does.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7