Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How t ofind out the total bandwidth of my wireless backhaul?

alokeprasad
Mentor

How t ofind out the total bandwidth of my wireless backhaul?

Using Ver 2.5.2.4

How do I find out the total bandwidth suppotrd by the connecetion benween the RBR and RBS?  The status is shown in the router (web interface) as "good".

If I find the capacity of the connection as XX Mb/s, then I can estimate the # of streaming devices and their bandwidth that can be connected to the RBS.  It won'r exactly be additive, but would be a good approximation.

Bonus question: I have only one RBS1.  But if I had more, RBS2, RBS3, in a daisychain to my 1st RBS, then would the bandwidth of all devices connected to all of my RBS1, RBS2, RBS3 be subject tto the bottleneck of the connection capacity between RBR and RBS1?

(cable modem)<-> RBR<->RBS1<->RBS2<->RBS3

That seems like an undesirable topology.  Star layout (or wired backhauls to the RBR) would be better, if the physical layout supports it.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

How do I find out the total bandwidth suppotrd by the connecetion benween the RBR and RBS?  The status is shown in the router (web interface) as "good".

Bonus question: I have only one RBS1.  But if I had more, RBS2, RBS3, in a daisychain to my 1st RBS, then would the bandwidth of all devices connected to all of my RBS1, RBS2, RBS3 be subject tto the bottleneck of the connection capacity between RBR and RBS1?

Yes, of course that "last link" will be the bottleneck.  A "star" arrangement clearly offers the most througput, but may not be practical given the layout of the building.

Orbi reports the "transmission rate" of the backhaul link in response to a telnet command.

• On the Orbi "debug" page, Enable telnet on the router.
    Browse to http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm
    Login with the web site admin credentials ("admin" and password)
    Check the box "Enable telnet" toward the bottom of the screen
  • Open a telnet client and connect to the Orbi router by IP address (often 192.168.1.1)
    Windows has a built in telnet client that can be enabled from the "Programs and Features" control panel.
    (It is under "Activate Features" on the left menu.)
    There are many telnet applications for Windows, Apple, Linux, etc. (Even tablets). I personally use PuTTY because it allows me to have all my different telnet hosts defined in advance and can save a log of the session automatically.
  • Type this command: satelliteinfo wifi

I have two satellites (star).  This is what the command shows for my Orbi:

root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
{
"mac address" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:xx:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-68",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
},
{
"mac address" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
"bridge mac" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul rssi" : "-59",
"backhaul macaddress" : "",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "866",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "650",
}

This reports the "transmit" and "receive" rates (at this moment) between each satellite and the router.  I have no idea why they are different.  As my internet speed is 200mbs, the Orbi is clearly capable of streaming more than I can get from the internet.

Whether this information is useful is a matter of conjecture. WiFi has a lot of overhead and is a "one talk at a time" medium.  If all the traffic is in one direction, it might be possible to move a lot across the backhaul.  If a lot of data is going "up the pipe", then the amount of data that can come "down" is reduced.

Hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

Yes, of course that "last link" will be the bottleneck.  A "star" arrangement clearly offers the most througput, but may not be practical given the layout of the building.

Orbi reports the "transmission rate" of the backhaul link in response to a telnet command.

• Open a telnet client and connect to the Orbi router by IP address (often 192.168.1.1)
    Windows has a built in telnet client that can be enabled from the "Programs and Features" control panel.
    There are many telnet applications for Windows, Apple, Linux, etc. (Even tablets). I personally use PuTTY because it allows me to have all my different telnet hosts defined in advance and can save a log of the session automatically.

{
},
{
}

This reports the "transmit" and "receive" rates (at this moment) between each satellite and the router.  I have no idea why they are different.  As my internet speed is 200mbs, the Orbi is clearly capable of streaming more than I can get from the internet.

Whether this information is useful is a matter of conjecture. WiFi has a lot of overhead and is a "one talk at a time" medium.  If all the traffic is in one direction, it might be possible to move a lot across the backhaul.  If a lot of data is going "up the pipe", then the amount of data that can come "down" is reduced.

Hope this is helpful.

Message 2 of 7
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: How to find out the total bandwidth of my wireless backhaul?

Thx!

I'm getting (MAC addresses munged):

{
"mac address" : "xxx",
"bridge mac" : "xxx",
"backhaul macaddress" : "xxx",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "1300",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "1300",
"backhaul parentmac" : "xxx"
}

Pretty good!!  Smiley Happy

Is that the theoretical maximum?

Aloke

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

Is that the theoretical maximum?

Yes. That is indeed the theoretical maximum backhaul link rate. The units must not be very very far apart, or not much building material in the path between them.

Message 4 of 7
alokeprasad
Mentor

They are ~ 40 ft apart on the same floor, with 4 walls between them .

This is a typical wood frame house: so the walls are drywall across 2x4's.

I'll check again in a few days after the Orbi's have had some more time to settle down and gather connection info.

But, I am having good speeds (limited by my 400 Mb/s ISP connection) when testing my fixed and mobile devices.  I am also using Powerline PLP2000 (had them from before) to offload some streaming traffic.

Thx for the description on the Telnet connection..

Aloke

Message 5 of 7
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@alokeprasad wrote:

{
},
{
}

Hope this is helpful.

Is this the same as the web interface's Advanced Home -> Internet Port -> Show Statistics info?

That has a row for "WLAN Backhaul" with status as "1733 M", presumably Mb/s

Aloke

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

pe this is helpful.

Is this the same as the web interface's Advanced Home -> Internet Port -> Show Statistics info?

That has a row for "WLAN Backhaul" with status as "1733 M", presumably Mb/s

Yes, my "Show Statistics" does report 1733 which is definitely different than the satelliteinfo.  My feeling is that the 1733 is reporting the "maximum possible", just as the 1000/ful is reporting the maximum possible connection rate (gigabit).  The actual rate (in my case is less).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7