Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Change IP Address on a RBR20 Orbi Router?

WilliamSharpe11
Aspirant

How to Change IP Address on a RBR20 Orbi Router?

Hi, I'm wondering if there's any way to reset my IP Address through my Orbi RBR20 Router

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@WilliamSharpe11 wrote:

Hi, I'm wondering if there's any way to reset my IP Address through my Orbi RBR20 Router

The question is ambiguous.  "my IP address" could refer to:

• The IP address of the LAN side of the Orbi router itself.
  • The IP address of a particular device that is connected to the Orbi.

It would help to know what you hope to accomplish by making this change.

Message 2 of 6
WilliamSharpe11
Aspirant

Hi, I think I'm refering to the LAN IP Address - if thats the public IP address that shows up when you search "Whats my ip?" All the devices in my house share this same public IP address from my Orbi RBR20 Router, and I'm wondering if theres a way to change this IP.

@CrimpOn wrote:

@WilliamSharpe11 wrote:

The question is ambiguous.  "my IP address" could refer to:

• The IP address of the LAN side of the Orbi router itself.
  • The IP address of a particular device that is connected to the Orbi.

It would help to know what you hope to accomplish by making this change.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@WilliamSharpe11 wrote:

Hi, I think I'm refering to the LAN IP Address - if thats the public IP address that shows up when you search "Whats my ip?" All the devices in my house share this same public IP address from my Orbi RBR20 Router, and I'm wondering if theres a way to change this IP.

Alas, the Public IP is assigned by the Internet Service Provider (ISP). Most ISP's assign "dynamic" IP addresses to subscribers, which may change from time-to-time. (Unless they pay extra for a "static" IP.  Businesses often do this.)

There is nothing the subscriber can do to change this.

Residential routers use Network Address Translation (NAT) to identify each of the individual devices that are "behind" the router so that connections made through the router to internet resources are specifi to the device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation 

Message 4 of 6
WilliamSharpe11
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@WilliamSharpe11 wrote:

Alas, the Public IP is assigned by the Internet Service Provider (ISP). Most ISP's assign "dynamic" IP addresses to subscribers, which may change from time-to-time. (Unless they pay extra for a "static" IP.  Businesses often do this.)

There is nothing the subscriber can do to change this.

Residential routers use Network Address Translation (NAT) to identify each of the individual devices that are "behind" the router so that connections made through the router to internet resources are specifi to the device.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation 

Well, I actually called my ISP (spectrum) and they told me there was no way they could change it. They said the only way I could change my public IP address is though my router, blah blah blah (I've been through this cycle of calling my ISP, netgear, etc. about 6 times)

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@WilliamSharpe11 wrote:

Well, I actually called my ISP (spectrum) and they told me there was no way they could change it. They said the only way I could change my public IP address is though my router, blah blah blah (I've been through this cycle of calling my ISP, netgear, etc. about 6 times)

What a dismal experience, sorry.  I, also, have Spectrum and have found that there are "gems" in technical support and (other folks).

Trust me, there is nothing the subscriber can do to change their public IP.  Can you change your street address?  Say, "I don't want to be 123 Main Street anymore.  I want to be 456 Elm Street.  Please have my mail redirected."

I am trying to understand the problem.  All of our devices connect to the internet using this one public IP address, and NAT keeps all the connections separate. My computer talks to email and web sites, while my smart plugs talk to (whoever), and my TV talks to Roku, etc. It all works.

What is not working?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7