Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Force New IP Through DHCP

CrimpOn
Guru

How to Force New IP Through DHCP

One of my IP cameras got a new IP address during the upgrade to V1.12.0.18,  I had carefully assigned IP's to my cameras using the eb interface: Advanced->Setup->LAN Setup.  When this device with an unexpected 191.168.1.17 IP address suddenly appeared, I went back to LAN Setup and entered it again: 192.168.1.56.  A couple of days have gone by, and I see by the log file that the Orbi has continued to issue the 1.17 IP address to the camera.

Does the Orbi not look at the static IP table when a device requests a "renewal"?   i.e. when the device says, "I'm using 1.17 and want to keep it," the Orbi says, "Fine deal.  I'm supposed to give you 1.56, but if you want 1.17, go ahead."

There is no way to reboot the camera short of taking it down and removing the batteries.  Is there any way to get the Orbi to force this IP address to change, short of rebooting the Orbi and interrupting the 50-odd connections that are currently set up?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to Force New IP Through DHCP

I was trying to type "WEB" interface, and cannot find a way to edit a post.  Sorry

Message 2 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello CrimpOn

Might not be a way to do this with rebooting can you assign it .17 and change any port forwarding you have to the .17 could be the easiest way.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

I actually rebooted the camera, and it got the SAME IP again.  I'm not an expert on DHCP, but my GUESS is that inside the DHCP request, the device says, "I'm using this IP, is it OK to keep using it?" and the router just says, "sure, go ahead" without checking its internal reservation table.  Actually, that doesn't seem possible, since the device has rebooted and it should remember only that it is configured to use DHCP to get an IP address.  Feels to me more like the Orbi says, "Hey, I remember you.  You were using this IP, so keep on doing that", and doesn't bother to check the reservation table.

I solved the problem by assigning that IP to another device and restarted THAT device.  Everything was a bit crazy for a few minutes, and then both that device and the camera got the IP's I wanted them to have.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7