Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to add second Orbi satellite (RBS50) in a Daisy chain topology

DEJohns
Aspirant

How to add second Orbi satellite (RBS50) in a Daisy chain topology

I recently installed an Orbi router as an Access Point (AP) within an existing FiOS network. I also changed the SSID in the Orbi to my existing one. Along with the Orbi router I also installed a single satellite, an RBS50. Note: I purchased the Orbi as a package that had 1 router and 2 satellites.

After having the single Orbi router and satellite installed, I updated the firmware on both Orbi units to version 2.0.0.74. The setup I just described is working fine. However, I have a 3 story house and my router is located in the basement and the first satellite is located on the first floor. My intent is to place the second satellite on the second floor. I need a mesh topology and this version of firmwre supports a daisy chain setup.

The question is: how do I install the second RBS50 so that it is daisy chained off the first? I tried syncing the router and the second satellite and that did not work. It would seem logical to me to sync the first satellite with the second, but that's speculation on my part.

I plan on reseting the 2nd satellite to it's factory settings before the install, which brings up my second question: will the 2nd satellite work without having to attempt another fireware update to v2.0.0.74 since that device was not on the system when the first update was performed? Hopefully, that would be the case since I really need to update the firmware to v2.1.1.16 to fix the bug with how the Orbi reports out attached devices.

Any advice and guidance you might provide would be appreciated.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
brenth
Star

Sync the second RBS50 with the RBR50.  Then, with daisy-chain enabled in the RBR50, the second RBS50 should automatically connect to the first RBS50 if it's closer than the RBR50.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
brenth
Star

Sync the second RBS50 with the RBR50.  Then, with daisy-chain enabled in the RBR50, the second RBS50 should automatically connect to the first RBS50 if it's closer than the RBR50.

Message 2 of 4
DEJohns
Aspirant

Thank you for your guidance. I took your advice and synced the 2nd RBS50 to the RBR50.

This left me with one satellite at V2.0.0.74 and another at V1.8.0.6. So I found the URL for V2.1.1.16 and substituted that version ID for V2.0.0.74 in the URL; and it took me to the zip file for that fireware level. I then downloaded and extracted the files and obtained the firmware image file. After that I went directly to the IP address of my 2nd satelite and  uploaded and updated the firmware to V2.0.0.74.

I cannot tell if the topology is star or daisy chain...and I don't care! My major need was REACH. I have an office on the 3rd floor of my house that contains a desktop and printer that I needed to reach. I can now reach those deices and I've eliminated an extender. I now have one SSID covering my entire 3-story home.

My next task will be updating all these devices to firmaware level V2.1.1.16 because of some buggy behavior I see with how connected devices are reported.

On a side note: It would be nice if one could choose the topogy they want (star or daisy chain), or failing that, at least have some explicit reporting telling you which topology is in effect.

Message 3 of 4
brenth
Star

Not sure whether it's only in the newer firmware versions, but on the Attached Devices page, it will show what each sattelite is connected to in the "Connected Orbi" column.  If your satellites all show connected to the router, you're running in star mode.  If one satellite shows as being connected to one of the other satellites, it would be daisy chain.

In the advanced wireless settings, you have the option of disabling daisy chain mode which would force both satellites to connect directly to the main router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7