Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to add second Orbi satellite (RBS50) in a Daisy chain topology

Radfinkbeiner
Follower

How to add second Orbi satellite (RBS50) in a Daisy chain topology

I recently attempted to set up my Orbi network that includes 2 satellites and am having trouble getting the 2nd satellite to daisy chain to the first.

I am in a rectangular 4000+ square foot home with Xfinity modem located at one end of the rectangle. I successfully configured the Orbi router next to the modem and the 1st satellite in the middle of my home. However, when I tried to connect the second satellite (opposite end of the house from the router) it only connects with the router and NOT the first satellite, which is much closer. The room that I want the second satellite is too far for a good connection to the router.

What I have tried:
1. Made sure daisy chain topology mode was active.
2. Switch Daisy Chain topology mode off then on again.
3. Pushed synch button on both satellites at the same time.
4. Attempted to add the satellite through the app.
5. Attempted to add the satellite via a web browser on a computer.
6. I placed both satellites next to each other.
7. Swapped the position of the satellites.

None of the above things have worked!!
I am using router mode instead of AP mode (not sure if that makes a difference).
Please advise.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Can you please make a wifi radio scan to see which channels are being used by the router and satellites to broadcast the hidden backhaul networks.

You should see 1 hidden network per node, so a total of 3 hidden networks in your case. Please check the channel numbers being used by the nodes.

The issue can be that the used channels has high interference from the surrounding or that the nodes are interfering with each other. We can try to change the used channel on the router so the nodes use different channels and test.

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Having Daisy Chain on does not force satellites to use Daisy Chain if the router signal is better.  It only allows them to connect to a satellite if the satellite has a stronger signal.  When adding the second satellite, it was located close to the first satellite rather than close to the router, correct?

There have been claims that the Orbi's "Daisy Chain" selection is "backward", i.e. "on" means "off".  Personally, I think this is ridiculous, but people who claim this are entirely serious.  It would be a quick test to remove the second satellite, set Daisy Chain to "off", have the second satellite in the same room as the first, and attempt to add it again.  I am most comfortable with the Orbi web interface, so that would be my choice.

Router or AP mode should have no effect on adding satellites.

This is probably a two story house?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-add-second-Orbi-satellite-RBS50-in-a-Daisy-chain-topolo...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/quot-Reverse-quot-Daisy-Chain-issue-any-update/m-p/1653439
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Slow-Wired-WAN-after-2-2-1-210-Upgrade/m-p/1667058/...

@Radfinkbeiner wrote:
I recently attempted to set up my Orbi network that includes 2 satellites and am having trouble getting the 2nd satellite to daisy chain to the first.

I am in a rectangular 4000+ square foot home with Xfinity modem located at one end of the rectangle. I successfully configured the Orbi router next to the modem and the 1st satellite in the middle of my home. However, when I tried to connect the second satellite (opposite end of the house from the router) it only connects with the router and NOT the first satellite, which is much closer. The room that I want the second satellite is too far for a good connection to the router.

What I have tried:
1. Made sure daisy chain topology mode was active.
2. Switch Daisy Chain topology mode off then on again.
3. Pushed synch button on both satellites at the same time.
4. Attempted to add the satellite through the app.
5. Attempted to add the satellite via a web browser on a computer.
6. I placed both satellites next to each other.
7. Swapped the position of the satellites.

None of the above things have worked!!
I am using router mode instead of AP mode (not sure if that makes a difference).
Please advise.

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

There have been claims that the Orbi's "Daisy Chain" selection is "backward", i.e. "on" means "off".  Personally, I think this is ridiculous, but people who claim this are entirely serious. 

This claim is completely baseless. Daisy Chain selection was never backward! This was just a fake news. Daisy Chain is enabled when ticked and disabled when unticked. 

You can see that Daisy Chain is enabled if you see hidden networks for the Satellites and the Router  high 5Ghz channels. If Daisy Chain is disabled you will only see such hidden network from the Router only. 

Message 5 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

What version of firmware are you operating on? 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7