Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to change the IP range

apgomez3
Aspirant

How to change the IP range

Is there a way to change the IP range on the Orbi RBR50? If so, how can I do it?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab->Setup->LAN Setup.

The user can define the IP address on the Orbi's LAN side.  The default is 192.168.1.1

The range of IP addresses given out by DHCP is any part of a subnet that runs from 1 to 254, such as 1 to 100, 100 to 150, 202 to 212, etc.

Many users set aside IP addresses to use for devices that are always on the network, such as TV's, NAS systems, cameras, etc. and use a specific range of addresses for DHCP.

Message 2 of 6

@apgomez3 wrote:

Is there a way to change the IP range on the Orbi RBR50? If so, how can I do it?

What are you actually trying to achieve?

Do you have a problem that needs fixing?

There may be easier solutions.

Message 3 of 6
apgomez3
Aspirant

Good question. I'm not having an issue. I was thinking more from a security standpoint. I was told that one thing to do is occasionally change the IP range from the default.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@apgomez3 wrote:

I was told that one thing to do is occasionally change the IP range from the default.

That's a fascinating concept, although it may be more of an "urban myth."  If someone successfully gets into an Orbi WiFi network, then they will have an IP address, which immediately tells them the IP subnet.  So, even if a person changed from the default of 192.168.1.x to 192.168.55.x, the interloper would be put in that subnet as well.

The bigger issue is with "occasionally."  A lot of us have assigned IP addresses to specific devices (for a variety of reasons). Changing the DHCP pool could mean reassigning all of those devices.  Not a happy thought.

Message 5 of 6

@apgomez3 wrote:

I was told that one thing to do is occasionally change the IP range from the default.

Heaven only knows why anyone would say that.

Your (WAN) IP address on the internet is outside your controls. That's down to the Internet service provider.

Local addresses on your LAN are not much use to anyone in the outside world.

There are plenty of ways to enhance your security. Messing around with IP addresses must be some way down on the list.

What security issues worry you? Been attacked lately?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7