Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to check an unknown device connected to network

FredSmith77
Aspirant

How to check an unknown device connected to network

I get a notification showing a new device on my system.  It says it is Hon Hai Precision TV (MAC:  9C:30:5B:65:D5:F7). Does anyone know what this device is??

Thanks!

Fred

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to check an unknown device connected to network

What is the character between the 65 and 5? 

Does it show as wired or wireless? 

What happens if you change the SSID or PW on the RBR to something different temporarily? Does the device still appear? 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@FredSmith77 wrote:

I get a notification showing a new device on my system.  It says it is Hon Hai Precision TV (MAC:  9C:30:5B:65:D5:F7). Does anyone know what this device is??

The Organizationally Unique Identifier code 9C:30:58 appears to be assigned to Hon Hai Precision Ind., Co., Ltd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizationally_unique_identifier 

Dun and Bradstreet says this company, known best by the name Foxconn, makes a variety of electronic items, including phones, computers, TV's, servers, etc. Customers include Apple, Cisco, Sony, Dell, Nokia.

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-profiles.hon_hai_precision_industry_co_ltd.e0ab2f97e3... 

I am guessing that Orbi shows the device as connected over WiFi.  (Surely you would remember plugging in a new ethernet cable.)

How many WiFi devices do you have total?  If there are "not many", then you could power each one off and see if it disappears from the Orbi list of devices.  This takes up to five minutes for the Orbi to decide, "It's really gone."

Another method is to look at the MAC address of anything that was recently brought into the house. (Also tedious.)

By any chance, does this Orbi have Guest WiFi activated with no password?

Message 3 of 4
FredSmith77
Aspirant

The characters between the 65 and the 5 are 😄

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation