Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to connect to Comcast internet

Jonsax21
Aspirant

How to connect to Comcast internet

Can’t get my xfinity modem to allow orbi to access network. Have followed all instructions. Can anyone help? Thanks, Jon.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 32
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You may need to add the mac address of the orbi to the allow list of the xfinitys modem.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 32
Mikey94025
Hero

The Comcast modems don't need any MAC addresses whitelisted.  As long as the modem's MAC address is known to Comcast then anything connected to it should work.  Does your computer get internet if connected directly to the modem, i.e., without the Orbi?  What exact setup choices are you using?

Message 3 of 32
Jonsax21
Aspirant

Mikey, Thanks for your response (and for the prior one as well). My Powerbook connects fine when I default to the Comcast modem's wifi. And I'm not sure how to answer the "setup choices" question. I put the comcast modem into bridge mode, which is all that comcast online instructions tell you and is what one of their chat agents said as well. Then I follow the Orbi instructions, which are essentially to plug in the cable and then turn it on. When I set-up the Orbi, I get the wifi signal on my devices, but it doens't connect through the modem. And just to say, I have been using the Apple Timecapsule for several years now without a problem. Got the orbi because I need to extend the range of our wifi coverage without losing signal strength.

Message 4 of 32
st_shaw
Master

To start, try leaving the comcast in router mode, disable its WiFi, and set Orbi to Access Point mode. That'll get you the benefits of Orbi's WiFi coverage.

I've seen several reports of Comcast modems not providing Internet when set to bridge mode, so it is probably not an Orbi issue.

Message 5 of 32
Jonsax21
Aspirant

st_shaw, Thanks for your reply. I don't know how to set the Orbi to "access Point Mode." I can find no such option in the app or in the instructions that came with it . . . Can you advise? Thanks.

Message 6 of 32
st_shaw
Master

Using a web browser, log into the Orbi's web admin GUI, located at the IP address of the Orbi.  

Navigate the menu system to: Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Router /AP Mode.

Select AP mode.

Make sure you wire the Orbi to your Comcast modem as shown in the AP Mode GUI diagram. You must connect the yellow Internet port to a LAN port on your Comcast modem.

Message 7 of 32
Jonsax21
Aspirant

Sorry, how do I find the IP address? The address I find from the wifi signal that appears on my phone looks to be a generic IP address and when I try to go to it, I get a "This site can't be reached" screen . . .

Message 8 of 32
st_shaw
Master

Message 9 of 32
Jonsax21
Aspirant

Tried that. Tells me I'm not connected to Orbi's wfif network . . . I thought I was making progress. Tried a new thing: in my laptop's (MacBook pro 13") network preferences, I selected the Orbi network name. Below, I selected "Connect" next to 802.1X WiFi". This then took me through an entire set-up of the orbis wiFi station and extender. When I was done and had changed the password and saved all that, I was certain I had found the way to connect. But when I tried to connect, there was still no WiFi access to the internet. I tried restarting the Orbi. No change. Why is this so difficult? This is very frustrating!

Message 10 of 32
st_shaw
Master

You should not be selecting 802.1x.  This is a special authentication protocol used in corporate networks.  Orbi doesn't support this, as far as I know.  Selecting this feature might prevent you from connecting to Orbi's WiFi network.

It should not be hard to setup, but you do need to log into the router to configure things, so you need to know how to find the IP address.

On your MacBook, delete the Orbi WiFi network in the network preferences.  This should remove the 802.1x settings.

Now connect to Orbi WiFi again.  After you are connected to Orbi's WiFI, option click the wifi icon at the top of the screen.  You should see a line that says Router: 192.168.1.1, or 10.0.01, or similar.  That's the IP address of your Orbi in router mode.  Now open a web broswer and go to http://192.168.1.1 But, replace 192.168.1.1 with the IP address of your router shown in the previous step.

Now, you can log in and change Orbi to AP mode. The default password is admin/password.

You can fefer to the manual here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

Message 11 of 32
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Also on Comcast. The first time that I connected the Orbi to my Comcast modem, I needed to clone my PC's MAC address using the Orbi admni GUI to get it to be recognized by Comcast. First time I've had to do that in years. Since then, I've been able to go back to MAC address of the Orbi, but intitially needed the Orbi to pretend to be my PC. Surprised me at the time.

The other thing is this Netgear support article on switching the Orbi to AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Message 12 of 32
ucnunes
Initiate

I hads this problem too.  Here's how I fixed it:

I logged on to the Xfinity router admin page (10.0.0.1) using admin/password.  Went to Connections->Wifi-> and turned off both 2.4 & 5 Ghz wifi signals.  For our purposes here, this effectively turns the router into a simple modem (no wifi router function, but the ethernet ports still act as a router).

Plugged in my Orbi, waited for it to boot up, and then logged onto its wifi SSID (it was already connected to my Xfinity modem).  From there, I went to the ORBI admin page (also at 10.0.0.1) using the admin & password I previously set up on it (or if you haven't done this, use the default).  Happily, I received a message stating that the Orbi router's IP address had been changed to 172.x.x.x to avoid a conflict with the Xfinity modem.  So turning on bridge mode on the Xfinity modem doesn't address the basic fact that the two routers had conflicting IP address catalogs.  With some good engineering, the Orbi team has provided a way for the router to automatically reassign its own IP addresses.  Now works flawlessly.

Message 13 of 32
jp4120
Guide

Just purchased this and installed it yesterd, Comcast tried to go to bridge mode with my Comcast Arris router/modem....of course it didn't work....so they left the 2.4 and 5.0 bands active on the Arris router so i could connect to the Orbi router.

my questions are - will this interfere with optimal speed? how do i turn it off without having to redo everything?  current Orbi wifi speed is pretty good throughout all rooms

Message 14 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Model# of the Arris modem/router combo?

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@jp4120 wrote:

Just purchased this and installed it yesterd, Comcast tried to go to bridge mode with my Comcast Arris router/modem....of course it didn't work....so they left the 2.4 and 5.0 bands active on the Arris router so i could connect to the Orbi router.

my questions are - will this interfere with optimal speed? how do i turn it off without having to redo everything?  current Orbi wifi speed is pretty good throughout all rooms

Message 15 of 32
jp4120
Guide

Model Number is RBK33

I am not home,  my wife just called and said the internet dropped - had to reset it from Comcast but wondering if this is due to the way i am configured.  I will try to go into the router and disable all wifi radios on the modem.....but wont the Orbi router automatically  pick up the IP address?  i want to avoid having to call comcast again since its always painful.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 16 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Model# of the Arris ISP modem/router combo? Not the RBK.

Message 17 of 32
jp4120
Guide

arris model is 802.11ac

Message 18 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

That is the wireless mode it supports. There should be a sticker under or in back of the modem that give a Model#:

Message 19 of 32
jp4120
Guide

Arris TG1682G

Message 20 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, wanted to confirm. Yes you have a modem/router combo. 

I wanna say my friend has this same modem and I was able to bridge it. 

You can review this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crWzQbo-BFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhxl1_tiBQM

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/TG862G-NA-Bridge-Mode-Setup

You might check to see if there is a actual Gateway / Bridge mode feature under WAN settings or anywhere with in the modem...

At any rate, you'll need to review the 3 suggestions regarding modem/router combo units and see what works best for you. 

Message 21 of 32
jp4120
Guide

ok i will check it out and give it a shot and let you know how i make out....thanks for your help.

Message 22 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it works for you. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 32
jp4120
Guide

kept having to still use my xfinity 2.4 for other wireless devices like my HP printer....so i called Comcast again, got some US based help and they first enabled bridge mode again on my comcast arris modem/router, Orbi couldn't find the IP address / could not connect

Then they transfered me to another US based advance tech team and this tech went into the Arris modem/router and disabled the wifi bands (radios) that was also suggested on this thread, then i plugged in Orbi and everything is working fine....no 2.4 or 5.0.....i should be fine now....thanks to all....hope this helps others.

Message 24 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements