Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to connect to Comcast internet

jp4120
Guide

it did drop again yesterday, unplugged both Arris and Orbi, waited 10 seconds, plug in the Arris, waited till lights were all on (except the 2.4 and 5.0 bands) and then plugged in the Orbi......everything came back.

called Comcast, got basically 'yeah it happens sometimes but we have no solution', i asked them if i should just return the Arris modem/router for an Arris moden only and they say 'yes that may help'

actually i may just buy my own motorola modem and give back the comcast router ......i am thinking this Arris combo router is the cause of this wifi drop......any thoughts or recommendations?

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 26 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

@jp4120 wrote:

it did drop again yesterday, unplugged both Arris and Orbi, waited 10 seconds, plug in the Arris, waited till lights were all on (except the 2.4 and 5.0 bands) and then plugged in the Orbi......everything came back.

called Comcast, got basically 'yeah it happens sometimes but we have no solution', i asked them if i should just return the Arris modem/router for an Arris moden only and they say 'yes that may help'

actually i may just buy my own motorola modem and give back the comcast router ......i am thinking this Arris combo router is the cause of this wifi drop......any thoughts or recommendations?

Well it is on a bad modems list:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Could be a cause...

I would recommend getting one of these from this thread:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5

Message 27 of 32
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Return Comcast’s modem and get your own. I actually got an email from Comcast saying “We see you’re still using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. We suggest upgrading to DOCSIS 3.1.” They did not suggest I go back to renting a modem from them.

i bought a Moto 8600 and it’s been absolutely perfect with Comcast.

Message 28 of 32
jp4120
Guide

anyone have any positive/negative with NetGear CM600 - on Amazon for $90.

Message 29 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not a PUMA6 modem which is good:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5

If yoru ISP supports it, would be a good choice.

@jp4120 wrote:

anyone have any positive/negative with NetGear CM600 - on Amazon for $90.

Message 30 of 32
jp4120
Guide

just contacted Comcast (everyones favorite ISP) and for $5 more they have a modem available with 1Gig download speed now....(currently i have 250mb blast service)...so they will come out and run fiber optic cable and set it up next week.  I think they have Arris and Motorola modem/routers - i will avoid Arris if possible.

of course i'll have to enable bridge mode, if that doesn't work i will shut off the 2.4 and 5.0 bands.

if this modem is spotty i will then purchase my own 1 gig modem.

hate to admit my cable bill is up to $230 - for 4  Xfinitiy X1 boxes, all premium channels, plus they give you netflix now.  I could save i know , my wife likes the convenience and choices, etc so will stick with this for now, down the road i may just go with internet only, and run a HD antenna, purchase hulu, etc. use my apple tv, firestick, more than i do....

Message 31 of 32
guzzijason2
Guide

You don't need to get fiber run to have Gig service from Comcast. I upgraded to Gig, and installed my own Arris SB8200 modem. Nobody came to the house at all - it is standard DOCSIS 3.1 over cable.

Now, their Gigabit Pro service is something completely different. That is speeds up to 2 GB, and I believe that *does* include fiber to the house.

Make sure you understand the difference before you order something you don't want (or need).

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7