Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to connect to RBS50Y directly

sourceholder
Aspirant

How to connect to RBS50Y directly

How do I update the firmware of a RBS50Y in "Orbi mode"?

This outdoor Orbi model does not include a LAN port. After factory resetting the device, I expected the RBS50Y to broadcast using the SSID printed on the backside fo the unit. Unfortunelty, this is not the case. The RBS50Y simply boots up and stays lit in solid white with no discernable way to connect to it. I need to perform firmware update so I can join it to my Orbi mesh network.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
sourceholder
Aspirant

Re: How to connect to RBS50Y directly

I have an RBR50 and several satellites (RBS50).   I suspect RBS50Y fails to sync because the firmware is too old as this unit was pulled from storage. This is why I am trying to find out how to perform firmware update on RBS50Y.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Orbi MESH model do you have? 

@sourceholder wrote:

How do I update the firmware of a RBS50Y in "Orbi mode"?

This outdoor Orbi model does not include a LAN port. After factory resetting the device, I expected the RBS50Y to broadcast using the SSID printed on the backside fo the unit. Unfortunelty, this is not the case. The RBS50Y simply boots up and stays lit in solid white with no discernable way to connect to it. I need to perform firmware update so I can join it to my Orbi mesh network.

Message 2 of 8
sourceholder
Aspirant

I have an RBR50 and several satellites (RBS50).   I suspect RBS50Y fails to sync because the firmware is too old as this unit was pulled from storage. This is why I am trying to find out how to perform firmware update on RBS50Y.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya there in lies the problem. 

Do you know when the last time the RBSY was used? 

On option would be to downgrade the RBR to something older or near what the RBSY is loaded with long enough for the RBSY to get connected, send FW update, then update the RBR back to what you have loaded on the RBR. 

What FW version do you have on the RBR now? 

Message 4 of 8
sourceholder
Aspirant

My RBR50 is running V2.7.3.22.  I don't know which version is running on the RBS50Y. Is there any way to check?

On  a side-note, I don't understand why this topic is marked as resolved.  

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 8
sourceholder
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I tested the RBS50Y very recently in "externder mode".  The device automatically updated extender mode firmware.    I don't know when the RBS50Y was last used in "Orbi mode".  

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you able to get the RBSY connected while in extender mode? If you can, get it connected you should be able to send Orbi Mode FW to it. If it's in extender mode. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7