Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to connect two Orbi (RBK44) routers to cover large area

JesseJG
Aspirant

How to connect two Orbi (RBK44) routers to cover large area

I need Wi-Fi coverage over a large area (Home, Pool, Shed, & Pier). I have 200 feet outside space between my house a shed and another 300 feet to the end of my pier. I would like to feed the shed and pier with one router (using underground CAT-5E cable) and the house with the outer. Can this be achieved? If so, what would be the router connections and settings? I was thinking of buying two RBK44 units.

Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to connect two Orbi (RBK44) routers to cover large area

@JesseJG wrote:

I need Wi-Fi coverage over a large area (Home, Pool, Shed, & Pier). I have 200 feet outside space between my house a shed and another 300 feet to the end of my pier. I would like to feed the shed and pier with one router (using underground CAT-5E cable) and the house with the outer. Can this be achieved? If so, what would be the router connections and settings? I was thinking of buying two RBK44 units.

At these distances, I recommend CAT6 underground cable.  The cost difference is not much over CAT5e.  It is not clear where the outside ethernet cable will be placed: (a) between only the house and shed, (b) only between shed and pier, (c) both places.  Orbi's 5G wireless backhaul will be pathetic at distances of 200 or 300 ft., so my assumption is ethernet cable over both distances

There should be only one router.  There is no benefit to installing more than one.  Whatever signal goes between the house and shed works just as well to a satellite as to a router.  i.e. the router will be in the house, connected to a satellite in the shed, and "daisy chained" to a satellite at the pier.

My guess is the pier is "outside", which implies an outdoor rated satellite (the RBS50Y, which needs 110v power), not one of the satellites from the RBK44 package.

Considering the effort being put into this, I would seriously consider using the RBR50 router and RBS50 satellites, plus RBS50Y satellites for outside coverage (pier, pool).

Message 2 of 13
JesseJG
Aspirant

Please see attachment for location of cable, house, and pier. The three satellite limit drives the two router requirement.

Thanks
Jesse
Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Oops.  No attachment?

Message 4 of 13
JesseJG
Aspirant

I believe I understand what hardware I’ll need. I just need to understand if its possible and how to connect the two Orbi routers to my Verizon FiOS Router (FiOS Quantum Gateway).

Assumptions: Both will need to be in Access Point Mode (AP mode). The two networks will not be meshed. Speed will be compromised.

Proposed Connections

1. Connect Orbi Router #1 with ethernet cable (short cable) to the Verizon FiOS Router
  2. Complete Setup of Router #1’s two Satellites (one inside & one outdoor) per installation instructions.
  3. Connect Orbi Router #2’s with ethernet cable (~190 foot) to the Verizon FiOS Router
  4. Complete Setup of Router #2 Satellites (two outdoor) per installation instructions.

So questions are: Can two Orbi routers be connected to my Verizon FiOS Router? What setup changes (Orbi router or Verizon FiOS Router) do I need to make?

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JesseJG wrote:

So questions are: Can two Orbi routers be connected to my Verizon FiOS Router? What setup changes (Orbi router or Verizon FiOS Router) do I need to make?

Yes, as many Orbi routers can be connected to FIOS as there are ethernet ports (or, if a switch is connected to FIOS, as many as there are ports on the switch).  In AP mode, every device connected gets an IP address from the FIOS.  They will all be separate WiFi networks, so the "mesh" benefits will be lost.

Message 6 of 13
JesseJG
Aspirant

So, the end result would be two separate mesh network, correct? 

With the limitation of the 3 satellites and the area I need to cover, I don’t believe I have any other option.

Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@JesseJG wrote:

With the limitation of the 3 satellites and the area I need to cover, I don’t believe I have any other option.

Just to be clear, there is no "3 satellite limitation" with Orbi.  Some users report having six or more satellites attached to one router.

The problem is that individual statellites can be difficult to purchase, or actually be more expensive than purchasing another "package" deal.

I just searched on Amazon, and the only RBS40 units are "used" at $171.  I tried the Netgear web site, and every retailer they list shows the RBS40 as "unavailable."

Any Orbi satellite will work with any Orbi router, although it obviously would be unusual to add a "50" model satellite to a base unit that doesn't support the higher speed backhaul.

Message 8 of 13
JesseJG
Aspirant

The no limit on satellites is very interesting. I wasn’t aware of that. Orbi customer support indicated that limit and agreed to my plan of two routers.
Thank you for this additional perspective.
Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

The largest number of satellites that I have seen recently is six.  @Thevidpro reports having an RBR20 with five satellites in his warehouse.  People seem to "run out of house" by the time they have a router and 5-6 satellites deployed.  Usage and bandwidth are the critical factors.  The RBR40, for example, is an "AC2200" router that has six antennas.  Here's a look at the insides: https://fccid.io/PY316400362/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-rev-2-pdf-3301776

The 866mb backhaul bandwidth is shared with all satellites that are connected.  Distance can reduce the effective bandwidth.  (866 is the theoretical maximum).  When satellites are "daisy chained", then the backhaul radio in the middle satellite is busy talking to the router and also to the farther satellite.

If all the farthest satellites are doing is "Internet of Things" (IoT) stuff, like turning lights on and off,,email, and web browsing, the system can probably support 100's of devices.  If people decide to simultaneously stream 4K video on 3-4 satellites at a time, I would not be surprised if performance was disappointing.

Message 10 of 13
JesseJG
Aspirant

Thank you for all the info. Please see attachment of area I need to have coverage

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

An ambitious project.  I am not confident that Netgear Orbi is the best fit for this situation.  (I LOVE my Orbi, but I have a simple 2,100 sq. ft. house and need coverage only barely outside.)

1. There is a big circle between the house and the shed.  Does that need coverage?  From where? 
  2. Is there (will there be?) electrical power and CAT6 to the pier?
  3. The pool and probably the pier areas are exposed to the weather.

You might want to take a look at products more attuned to the "outside".  A number of forum members have talked about Ubiquiti products in releation to spanning distances and outside areas.

Message 12 of 13
JesseJG
Aspirant

Yes, it’s an Ethernet cable which I was going to use to extend the network. The large circle between the house and the shed is an area I believe a satellite needs to be placed to make the connection to the shed. If I’m lucky I can eliminate it and communicate directly between the house and the shed. The line of sight distance is approximately 180 feet.
Note: after doing some additional research and talking to Orbi technical support. I believe the Orbi Pro is the way to go, it allows up to 8 satellites.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7