Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to deactivate MAC filtering for Guest network?

Droopyougo
Aspirant

How to deactivate MAC filtering for Guest network?

Good morning,

I have an ORBI sytem deployed at home with a router (SRR60) and two sattelites (SRS60?).

I have my home network secured with WKA password and MAC filtering.

I wanted to set-up the provided Guest network for my guests...

Unfortunately, it doesn't work so easy! If the SSID is different, the network is the same, with the IP addresses being in the same range as the home network and, of course, as the devices are not listed in the approved MAC addresses list, they get no access to the internet.

I see 2 issues there:

- the guests are connected to the network, which means that potentially they can access other devices located on the home network, meaning that there is no real separation between the networks.

- I couldn't find where/how to disable the MAC filtering for the Guest network only which means that either I have to disable it for the entire system or I have to know in advance the MAC of the guests devices to add them to the list and remove them afterwards, which is a total non-sense as, by default, a guest user is showing up at any time and is only a temporary user for which there shouldn't be any administration required.

Does anybody know a solution to this problem and how to implement it remotely through Insight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Model: SRK60B05|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Droopyougo
Aspirant

Re: How to deactivate MAC filtering for Guest network?

Thank you for the comment, but it is not required anymore.

I received the answer through another channel and what I request is simply not possible with this equipment.

I consider returning it as it is totally useless to have a system which cannot handle properly a guest network and requires all devices to be white listed.

Furthermore, I found out that any device connecting to the network, even if it is not authorised, will connect to the main network and get an IP from that network...

To make a long story short, it is a lie to pretend that this system comes with 3 networks and provide a separate access for "Guests".

I am very disappointed and will certainly not give it a good publicity/customer review.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 4
Droopyougo
Aspirant

Thank you for the comment, but it is not required anymore.

I received the answer through another channel and what I request is simply not possible with this equipment.

I consider returning it as it is totally useless to have a system which cannot handle properly a guest network and requires all devices to be white listed.

Furthermore, I found out that any device connecting to the network, even if it is not authorised, will connect to the main network and get an IP from that network...

To make a long story short, it is a lie to pretend that this system comes with 3 networks and provide a separate access for "Guests".

I am very disappointed and will certainly not give it a good publicity/customer review.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Your post doesn't really matter here since this is the Home version of Orbi.

Next time please post in the correct forum so you and others get the right information and help.

Good Luck in your endeavours. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7