Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to disable auto-update

pstoric83
Guide

How to disable auto-update

I prefer to update manually, is there a way to turn that feature off? 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 19
cyberprashant
Luminary

So far, the Only reliable way to block the upgrade is page 5 of this thread (telnet method) - see link below.  IT seems a little overwhelming but its not bad.  Takes all but a few minutes.  Plus apply the same block to the extra parameter (orbi_auto_upg) - anything that looks like an upgrade parameter in the list.   And you have to be fast in doing this or the router will still auto-upgrade (to prevent this I recommend downloading everything u need first and then disconnecting your cable or DSL line while doing this so it doesnt auto-upgrade in the process. 
Message 2 of 19
Vengeance
Tutor

it still updates itself automatically ... this is ridiculous !!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 19
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Vengeance wrote:

it still updates itself automatically ... this is ridiculous !!

Not ridiculous at all for a modern IOT device. All cloud managed devices do this for obvious reasons. Being in the IT field myself I applaud this as It prevents people from doing stupid things like never updating their firmware which is guaranteed to have security holes thereby leaving them exposed to malicious actors on the internet.

Message 4 of 19
JustMakeItWork
Apprentice

That's great until you have clearly untested firware breaking devices all over creation. Since Netgear has chosen to force its updates and break the Internet for many, they're responsible for anything that happens while its down.

Message 5 of 19
Boomer_1
Apprentice

I would like to know why Netgear specifically auto-updates the Orbis only. They do not do the other routers I own or have owned. In fact I still own an R8000 Nighthawk and I get an email notice and can udate it in a CONTROLLED manner. They act like the Orbi is just some sort of replacement for a Cable Modem wifi with 2 or 3 devices running on it. Why would we spend 600-800 dollars on a system for a few devices. I have Smart Home technology as well as a number of computers running on mine and do not appreciate Netgear Seagulls dropping on my system with their firmware updates without my ability to confirm them myself and ensure my network is not rendered totally disfunctional by their updates. Netgear has a worse record with their firmware updates than the Cleveland Browns. THey behave as if it is a $50 powerline adapter they are updating.

Can someone from Netgear answer the question of why we do not have to OPT IN to get auot updates?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 19
mastervisa30
Luminary

I have tried disable auto and downgrade to Firmware Version 1.12.0.18,many times and my orbi still auto uppdate to Firmware Version 2.0.1.4. tried many time its not working https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Message 7 of 19
Boomer_1
Apprentice

Yes I saw many threads on this and never saw anyone that I coould conclude got it to work. Did you by chance also add this option  found on page 7 of this thread as well - "orbi_auto_upg=0".

Netgear seems to be determined to lose customers is all I can see, or they just do not care.  They act liek these are just beta test systems and have no consideration for their customers. These are very expensive systems and they seem incapable of testing even basic functions. It is like they only test the new features they are deploying and break the stable part of the system. In any case, even thorough testing can't catch every problem on every configuration which is why they should allow the CUSTOMERS WHO OWN THE PRODUCT upgrade and the time of their choosing. If they have urgent security systems, they can be deployed seperately. That is what is done in the business world. I can assure you, our business does not allow vendors to just drop their software in at the time of their choosing.  If people are novies and not sure allow them to auto update or allow us to NOT auto update. In any case, I am thinking of just selling mine off in piece parts and going back to my Apple router until I can find a another solution, possibly Linksys. It is a shame as this system works really well once you get it tweaked to your services you are running on it - at least until the next Netgear Seagull droppings come in.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You could contact NG support and ask about there Beta FW if avaiable. Theres been some users to acquire this and has worked for them. 

Worth a try before you give up. 

My system is working fine for me.

@Boomer_1wrote:

Yes I saw many threads on this and never saw anyone that I coould conclude got it to work. Did you by chance also add this option  found on page 7 of this thread as well - "orbi_auto_upg=0".

Netgear seems to be determined to lose customers is all I can see, or they just do not care.  They act liek these are just beta test systems and have no consideration for their customers. These are very expensive systems and they seem incapable of testing even basic functions. It is like they only test the new features they are deploying and break the stable part of the system. In any case, even thorough testing can't catch every problem on every configuration which is why they should allow the CUSTOMERS WHO OWN THE PRODUCT upgrade and the time of their choosing. If they have urgent security systems, they can be deployed seperately. That is what is done in the business world. I can assure you, our business does not allow vendors to just drop their software in at the time of their choosing.  If people are novies and not sure allow them to auto update or allow us to NOT auto update. In any case, I am thinking of just selling mine off in piece parts and going back to my Apple router until I can find a another solution, possibly Linksys. It is a shame as this system works really well once you get it tweaked to your services you are running on it - at least until the next Netgear Seagull droppings come in.

Message 9 of 19
Boomer_1
Apprentice

How do you go about doing that? I am out of the 90 day period and I am not going to pay for support due to their total lack of support.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Have to get on the phone with them from what others have said. 

Message 11 of 19
Boomer_1
Apprentice

Ok Thanks.

Message 12 of 19
mastervisa30
Luminary

tried one more time to downgrade to older vesrion,done all on telnet,but still uppgrade itself to V2.0.1.4,netagear please make options to turn of auto uppdate 😉

Message 13 of 19
wildhorse
Star

Try deleting cron job, but it would only work only until reboot.

Message 14 of 19
Boomer_1
Apprentice

Are you referring to the /tmp/etc/crontabs/root or /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root. It looks like they rebuild it in the S10boot file on each startup. It looks to me like the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root is the master. Perhaps instead of deleting it just comment out that line.

However, one might consider if you aren't disrupted to just shutoff your internetlink for a few minutes before 3:49AM and a few minutes after, unless it initiates a some sort of retry.

Message 15 of 19
wildhorse
Star

Primary is /tmp/etc/crontabs, /var/spool/cron/crontabs is symlink to this directory.

crond is started as:

crond -c /tmp/etc/crontabs -T GMT-0

So

crontab -c /tmp/etc/crontabs -d root

could help

Message 16 of 19
Boomer_1
Apprentice

Thanks. Yes I saw that. The cron is running against the tmp/cro fn file. I was looking into just commenting out the line with the firmware in it and leaviing the one that emails the logs. That seems to work. However it still gets rebuilt on reboot. It does not get rebuilt from either /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root or /rom/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root. It all gets corrected on a reboot. It looks like they are doing this in the /etc/init.d/boot file. They probably have a hidden slice that it is rebuilt from on reboot or embed it in a command. It could be a simple one line command embedded in an executable to put it in. I am going to look a bit further. Worse case I might just try blocking the internet connection for a few minutes and see if it retrys.

Message 17 of 19
wildhorse
Star

I have just one line in there, thats why I suggested to delete it.

The read-only original file is in /rom/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

17 04 * * * streamboost update_fmn; streamboost auto_upload; streamboost auto_update && streamboost restart

What we are changing is just overlay. When Orbi boots, / gets restored from /rom.Changing /rom permanently is more complicated and risky for people. So don't do it.

Message 18 of 19
Boomer_1
Apprentice

Thanks. I was not going into it any further than the other 2 files. The /rom file may clash with something they are updating so I will either just change the entry you mentioned or go the route of blocking the the connection at the time of execution.  Commenting out that enttry should work as well as long as you don't reboot.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7