Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to disable automatic firmware updates?

X1Zero
Tutor

How to disable automatic firmware updates?

Where is the option to disable firmware updates? There seems to be no option in the Orbi App and no option on the Orbilogin web browser log in page either.

I’ve been (happily) on the same firmware for about a year and in the last 24 hours the router and satellites automatically updated firmware.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Hello. There isn’t an option available to us for controlling automatic updates. NG apparently wants to reserve the right to push updates when they deem necessary.
I was moved to 2.7 overnight. I see others saying the same thing.
Message 2 of 20
hofendis
Aspirant

I spent three hours today fixing what Netgear broke last night when it updated my Orbis AND installed a Netgear Armor trial package. I have a physician and an engineer working from home and we're all pissed because we lost a day's work. I absolutely need a way to kill these updates. I note from another recent thread that there was a way to do this - but Netgear now has an "access denied" tag on the referral page with the instructions.

Message 3 of 20
vajim
Master

@gr8sho wrote:
Hello. There isn’t an option available to us for controlling automatic updates. NG apparently wants to reserve the right to push updates when they deem necessary.

tell us more about how you were moved to 2.7 overnight.

Message 4 of 20
vajim
Master

@hofendis wrote:

I spent three hours today fixing what Netgear broke last night when it updated my Orbis AND installed a Netgear Armor trial package. I have a physician and an engineer working from home and we're all pissed because we lost a day's work. I absolutely need a way to kill these updates. I note from another recent thread that there was a way to do this - but Netgear now has an "access denied" tag on the referral page with the instructions.

tell us more about NG updated your Orbis.

Message 5 of 20
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@vajim wrote:

@gr8sho wrote:

I happened to be up in the middle of the night and spotted a gremlin running down the internet site carrying a bag that had 2.7 prominently written on the side. 

Message 6 of 20
vajim
Master

@gr8sho wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@gr8sho wrote:

I happened to be up in the middle of the night and spotted a gremlin running down the internet site carrying a bag that had 2.7 prominently written on the side. 

Oh ok....handn't seen or heard of an acutal hands free update in years.

Message 7 of 20
fmalloy
Luminary

I have an RBR20 and see no option for automatic firmware updates. It informs you an update is available, and you must go into Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update and click the Update button. 

I have never had the unit update firmware automatically.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 20
hofendis
Aspirant

With a day to catch my breath and reflect, I NOTE that when Netgear pushed out this update the other night (and I reject claims that they did not push this out), what was included in it was a 30-day enrollment in Netgear Armor. That seems to be the only significant difference between what my Orbi network had before. I strongly suspect the reason for the update was to push this product for an additional revenue stream.

Message 9 of 20
vajim
Master

@hofendis wrote:

With a day to catch my breath and reflect, I NOTE that when Netgear pushed out this update the other night (and I reject claims that they did not push this out), what was included in it was a 30-day enrollment in Netgear Armor. That seems to be the only significant difference between what my Orbi network had before. I strongly suspect the reason for the update was to push this product for an additional revenue stream.

I would ask you as I've asked before, can you tell us how exactly the firmware update came to be installed on your system?  Did it happen overnight while you were away?

Message 10 of 20
X1Zero
Tutor

Looks like it happened again. I have the RBK23 modem/satellites and just a few hours ago everything was force updated to 2.7.3.22.

Prior to this, I was happily on 2.5.1.16 for over a year.

The part I don't understand is how this happened, especially since I've manually disabled all automatic updates in the router using the Telnet method. This is where you log into the router and disable the below configurations.

orbi_auto_upgrade=1

auto_check_for_upgrade=1
auto_update=1

Anyway, been running fine with all the firmware updates being bypassed for the past year except now with 2.7.3.22.

Has this occurred to anyone? How did the router bypass the disabled update configurations?!

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume NG puts in code to allow updates regardless on whats set ON the RBR. I tried this with my 8 series Orbi and found the only way to block auto FW updates is to have a upstream router in place that blocks: 

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com and updates1.netgear.com

Message 12 of 20
mbreksop
Star

But then you daisy chain two routers and ISP Modem, is that right ?

I still don't get it, my NG  forced updates to their customer, it's one way to ruin their great products.

Message 13 of 20
mbreksop
Star

Yes, it happens to all of us....

I even try to block the DNS to no avail

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Disabling-Auto-Update-Force-Update-firmware-version-2-7-3-22-f...

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. You can daisy chain two routers and block FW Updates with the upstream router from the Orbi router.

@mbreksop wrote:

But then you daisy chain two routers and ISP Modem, is that right ?

I still don't get it, my NG  forced updates to their customer, it's one way to ruin their great products.

Message 15 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@mbreksop wrote:

The automatic firmware update is an issue because it seems to almost always result in problems for some users.  A lot of customers want an appliance.  They want to plug it in. Use it. And never have to spend any time fussing with it.  Many of my neighbors have not even changed the default WiFi SSID on their AT&T or Spectrum supplied routers.

My computers , my television, my phone and tablet, even my security system put a notice on the screen "Firmware Update Available". If I ignore the warning and something goes wrong, the blaim falls on me.  If the customer never opens the web interface or the Orbi app, there is no mechanism that can be used to inform the customer of new firmware.

If the new firmware was properly debugged before release, I would be more sympathetic to Netgear's position.  As recent experience has shown, I think the customer should take responsibility for when (and if) to update firmware.

Message 16 of 20
mbreksop
Star

I used to love my ORBI, as a matter of fact, i helped several of my friends and families to purchase this product over other mesh wifi like Google and such.

But this behavior makes me think thrice to recommend Orbi to other people.....

Yes, the last 2.7.3.22 broke Live Streaming at my in-laws Church during heavy bandwidth... several times.

Message 17 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@mbreksop wrote:

Yes, the last 2.7.3.22 broke Live Streaming at my in-laws Church during heavy bandwidth... several times.

This assertion could use more explanation (details). When I search for "Zoom Bandwidth", the results are consistent that Zoom requires practically no bandwidth at all. Are there 100's of users in the church trying to watch a live stream over WiFi at the same time?

Message 18 of 20
lookatyou
Aspirant

Your Orbi should have worked I’m not sure what you were configuring. Updates just update the firmware they do not impact setting or customization. Unless if you were specific of what happens or share your settings file we cannot help you.
Message 19 of 20
lookatyou
Aspirant

Netgear reserves the right to push firmware that deemed needed to fix security holes regardless of what telnet settings you have chosen.
Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7