Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to extend wifi to "out buildings"

TxFig
Follower

How to extend wifi to "out buildings"

I have an order to have Suddenlink/Altice installed in my home (they are finally providing service to my area) - I have order the 1 gb internet package.

I have 2 questions, a "simple one" and a "main one".

Simple question: the tech told me to make sure the modem I buy has Docsis 3.1.  Looking at reviews, I am thinking the Orbi CBR750 is the right choice.  My home (~2750 sqft) has cat6 run throughout, into a centralized wiring closet.  In the wiring closet sits an unmanaged gigabit 24-port network switch that all of the rooms are wired to.    Is that Orbi the right choice AND will it (should it) just connect to the unmanaged switch to provide service to the ports in each room?

Main question:  I have 2 outbuildings, about 100' from the main house.  Both of the buildings also have cat6 run from that same wiring closet above.  Both outbuildings are sheet metal (which blocks the wifi signal).  If I get an Orbi "satelite extender" for both buildings, will they work using the cat6 - or do they have to get their signal from the wifi in the house?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to extend wifi to "out buildings"

Yes, the Orbi CBR750 includes a DOCSIS3.1 cable modem.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/CBR750.pdf 

I am (personally) not a fan of combining the WiFi router and cable modem into one component.  What happens if in two years someone offers you a fiber ONT that requires an ethernet connection instead of a coax cable connection?  I would rather separate the two devices.

(but that's just my opinion)

Yes, this plan is correct. Connect the 24 port switch to one of the router LAN ports and then connect everything else to the switch.

Yes, the satellites will connect over the cat6 ethernet cable. Most people sync them the first time using a short patch cord in the same room as the router to be able to observe how things go without running 100ft back and forth. After the Orbi Attached Devices page shows the satellite connected successfully over ethernet, it can be moved to the remote location.

Good Analysis.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to extend wifi to "out buildings"

Be sure that your ISP supports the CBK750 series system on there network before purchasing. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Please visit the Orbi with Built in Cable modem forum as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Good Luck

@TxFig wrote:

I have an order to have Suddenlink/Altice installed in my home (they are finally providing service to my area) - I have order the 1 gb internet package.

I have 2 questions, a "simple one" and a "main one".

Simple question: the tech told me to make sure the modem I buy has Docsis 3.1.  Looking at reviews, I am thinking the Orbi CBR750 is the right choice.  My home (~2750 sqft) has cat6 run throughout, into a centralized wiring closet.  In the wiring closet sits an unmanaged gigabit 24-port network switch that all of the rooms are wired to.    Is that Orbi the right choice AND will it (should it) just connect to the unmanaged switch to provide service to the ports in each room?

Main question:  I have 2 outbuildings, about 100' from the main house.  Both of the buildings also have cat6 run from that same wiring closet above.  Both outbuildings are sheet metal (which blocks the wifi signal).  If I get an Orbi "satelite extender" for both buildings, will they work using the cat6 - or do they have to get their signal from the wifi in the house?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7