Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to force OR block wifi device connection to particular satellite ?

AussieAnth
Follower

How to force OR block wifi device connection to particular satellite ?

I have an ORBI RBK23 router & 2 satellites.

I have some wifi cameras and other devices that often connect to and remain connected to the main router or far sattelite, instead of the closest unit with the strongest wifi signal.  

I have tried the usual stuff like power cycling the wifi devices, hoping they would pick up the closest/strongest signal & remain connected.

Is there anyway, via the Orbi config or wifi device settings, that I can force connection to a particular sattelite or router, OR block connection to one of the sattelites or the main router?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to force OR block wifi device connection to particular satellite ?

@AussieAnth wrote:

Is there anyway, via the Orbi config or wifi device settings, that I can force connection to a particular sattelite or router, OR block connection to one of the sattelites or the main router?

No, there is not.  This must be one of the "top five" requested features.  I have absolutely no idea what Netgear's opinion is (if there even is such a thing), but my guess is that Netgear believes their product follows the accepted 802.11 standards and it is up to the device to decide which access point it wants to connect to.

Not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

I would be fascinated to hear if other "mesh" systems offer a feature such as this.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to force OR block wifi device connection to particular satellite ?

@AussieAnth wrote:

No, there is not.  This must be one of the "top five" requested features.  I have absolutely no idea what Netgear's opinion is (if there even is such a thing), but my guess is that Netgear believes their product follows the accepted 802.11 standards and it is up to the device to decide which access point it wants to connect to.

Not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

I would be fascinated to hear if other "mesh" systems offer a feature such as this.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7