Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to force Orbi to switch to best frequency and access point?

flroots
Guide

How to force Orbi to switch to best frequency and access point?

I just purchased the RBK50 and noticed that when testing internet speed while moving from Office at one end of house to Living Room at other end, it doesn't consistently connect to the same access point (ie, Router or Satellite). To get consistent results, is there a way to force system to check and if necessary switch to optimum access point and frequency? I've used both the computer browser and app to view frequency and connected access point.

Also, is there a way to run a real time speed test on the link to a specific device?

Finally, is there a Orbi app user guide? If so, can you provide link?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to force Orbi to switch to best frequency and access point?

Orbi User Manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Real time report of connection between Orbi and satellite:

• Browse to the Orbi "debug" page: http://orbilogin.net/debug
  • Check the box, "Enable Telnet"
  • Use a telnet client to connect to the Orbi router: i.e. telnet <ip address of Orbi>
  • Type the command: satelliteinfo  wifi
  • This will display the Transmit and Receive rates (among other things)

Devices connected to Orbi will indeed change to the strongest signal, but it is not "instant".  I find that when I have the "Attached Devices" we page open and a WiFi analysis program on my Android phone or tablet and walk briskly down the stairs from router to satellite (less briskly going upstairs), within 2 minutes I see the device change to the nearest device (and change back when I go back).

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup , Wireless Setup I have enabled "Fast Roaming" (the check box at the very bottom of the page)

Message 2 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@flroots wrote:

Also, is there a way to run a real time speed test on the link to a specific device?

Try "Wi-Fi Sweetspots", which tests download speed in real time while you're walking around the house with your iPhone to identify the weak/dead spots.  It's extermely useful when it comes to Satellite placements for optimal speed, performance, and Wi-Fi coverage.

Message 3 of 16
flroots
Guide

Thanks a lot for the response. I have the following comments:

1. The link you provided is to the Orbi User Manual. I was asking about a manual specific to Orbi app?

2. I have tried several ways to bring up the link http://orbilogin.net/debug. Just keep getting 404 Not Found. Also, I don't see a debug option within the web interface?

3. I've enabled Fast Roaming as you suggested. It still seems very sluggish. I walked from Living Rm where Satellite is located to Office where Router is located and waited several minutes while the Orbi app was showing my phone still connected to Satellite? I had 2 network analyzer apps running in background.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 16
flroots
Guide

@SW_ wrote:

@flroots wrote:

Try "Wi-Fi Sweetspots", which tests download speed in real time while you're walking around the house with your iPhone to identify the weak/dead spots.  It's extermely useful when it comes to Satellite placements for optimal speed, performance, and Wi-Fi coverage.

I was asking if there's a way to test in real time to a specific device not the overall speed to all devices

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@flroots wrote:

I just purchased the RBK50 and noticed that when testing internet speed while moving from Office at one end of house to Living Room at other end, it doesn't consistently connect to the same access point (ie, Router or Satellite). To get consistent results, is there a way to force system to check and if necessary switch to optimum access point and frequency? I've used both the computer browser and app to view frequency and connected access point.

Message 6 of 16
flroots
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

My home is just under 2000 sq ft.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

It's approx. 60 feet

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@flroots wrote:

I should mention that I'm very happy with the coverage throughout the entire home. My issue was over the lag in Orbi's switching from one access point to the other. This is only an issue when measuring performance in each room. I simply wanted it to be optimum (not that it was unsatisfactory).

Message 7 of 16
flroots
Guide

I'm confused! I used the Orbi app to monitor the access point to which my phone was attached as I walked to a distance of over 100 ft from the side of the house in which the Satellite is located (with Router on opposite side). It never switched from Router to Satellite. This makes me wonder what the algorithm is that decides if or when to switch? Is it time-based? I would think it would frequently compare signal strengths of each access point in making the decision as to when or if to switch? I finally got it to switch by disabling WiFi, opening app which complained, and finally switching WiFi back on. Finally it switched to Satellite! Anyone have any insight into this behavior?

Message 8 of 16
flroots
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

Orbi User Manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Real time report of connection between Orbi and satellite:

• Browse to the Orbi "debug" page: http://orbilogin.net/debug
  • Check the box, "Enable Telnet"
  • Use a telnet client to connect to the Orbi router: i.e. telnet <ip address of Orbi>
  • Type the command: satelliteinfo  wifi
  • This will display the Transmit and Receive rates (among other things)

Devices connected to Orbi will indeed change to the strongest signal, but it is not "instant".  I find that when I have the "Attached Devices" we page open and a WiFi analysis program on my Android phone or tablet and walk briskly down the stairs from router to satellite (less briskly going upstairs), within 2 minutes I see the device change to the nearest device (and change back when I go back).

On the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup , Wireless Setup I have enabled "Fast Roaming" (the check box at the very bottom of the page)

The command http://orbilogin.net/debug returns a 404 even though I have no trouble logging onto web GUI. I used the following instructions for Windows 10 to enable Telnet:

1. Open “Control Panel“.
  2. Open “Programs“.
  3. Select the “Turn Windows features on or off ” option.
  4. Check the “Telnet Client” box.
  5. Click “OK“. A box will appear that says “Windows features” and “Searching for required files“. When complete, the Telnet client should be installed in Windows.

I then opened a CMD window and typed "telnet 192.168.1.1" but I got a connection failed message. I've also made sure that Remote Management was enabled in both Orbi app and web GUI (for everyone). Any hints?

Message 9 of 16
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

The correct URL for the debug page is http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm (you left off the .htm)

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to wifi devices to pick and choose which signal they connected too, not Orbi. Orbi only provides a platform to connect too. 

You can adjust the power output of the RBR to maybe help in some cases. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@flroots wrote:

I'm confused! I used the Orbi app to monitor the access point to which my phone was attached as I walked to a distance of over 100 ft from the side of the house in which the Satellite is located (with Router on opposite side). It never switched from Router to Satellite. This makes me wonder what the algorithm is that decides if or when to switch? Is it time-based? I would think it would frequently compare signal strengths of each access point in making the decision as to when or if to switch? I finally got it to switch by disabling WiFi, opening app which complained, and finally switching WiFi back on. Finally it switched to Satellite! Anyone have any insight into this behavior?

Message 11 of 16
flroots
Guide

Thanks. That made all the difference. My results are:

root@Router:/# satelliteinfo wifi [

{ "mac address" : "8C:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",

"hop" : "1",

"bridge mac" : "8C:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",

"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",

"backhaul rssi" : "-60",

"backhaul macaddress" : "8C:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",

"backhaul phytxrate" : "1300",

"backhaul phyrxrate" : "1170",

"backhaul parentmac" : "CC:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" }

I'm supposing that the signal strength is -60 dBm and 1300 and 1170 are transmit and receive speeds, respectively. Is this correct and if so, what are the speed units?

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

1300 and 1170 are in Mbps and these are connection rates between the RBR and RBS only. 

Please edit out and don't include any MAC address information in public forum posts. 

@flroots wrote:

Thanks. That made all the difference. My results are:

"backhaul phytxrate" : "1300",

"backhaul phyrxrate" : "1170",

I'm supposing that the signal strength is -60 dBm and 1300 and 1170 are transmit and receive speeds, respectively. Is this correct and if so, what are the speed units?

Message 13 of 16
flroots
Guide

Thanks for the info. I can't figure out how to edit my prior post.

Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Please send a forum post to @Blanca_O and @Christian_R and ask them to delete that information from the post. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 16
flroots
Guide

@Blanca_O and @Christian_R

Please delete mac addresses

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7