Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to optimize my Orbi Network/Am I getting the best performance?

RikParr73
Aspirant

How to optimize my Orbi Network/Am I getting the best performance?

Hi

My network is detailed in the attached diagram, hope it makes sense. I'm not convinced I am getting the full potential from my system, probably because of poor configuration (by me) on the Orbi kit and possibly the network switch, Modem etc. I have some network knowledge but limited.

My property is a UK standard 1970's brick build, and the floor plan is from my property, so measurements are exact. I have cat5 network points installed in limited locations. I have poor reception on the first floor and in the conservatory and some devices are not connecting to the nearest Sat, Access Point (RBR40) etc. The system does work, but it's not great at times.

Could someone kindly advise what I should be checking on the Orbi system and switch config etc to check it's optimized as much as possible. It's not a large property so can't understand the poor signal, especially when most of the kit is hard-wired to the Cisco switch.

Many thanks in advance.

Rik

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to optimize my Orbi Network/Am I getting the best performance?

This seems like a LOT of WiFi radios in a small space. The general practice is to space Orbi units "about 30 ft." apart, depending on building materials.  It appears that several of these are not much over 10' apart.

The house has brick exterior walls. What is the interior construction? (walls, floor)

It is unusual to connect another Orbi router "behind" an Orbi router, as this creates two separate WiFi networks. Even if they have identical SSID/password, devices will not "roam" between the two.

Diagnosing things generally requires software that can report the signal strength at various places.  Often, WiFi device network management will report RSSI and "Link Rate" in numeric terms (rather than those stupid pictures and words like "Excellent").

There is software for Apple products that allows the user to walk around and see how strong the signal is in various places. (not an Apple person, can't remember the name).  On Android, I use "WiFi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan.  There are free programs for Windows that do the same thing.

The reason I bought the Orbi four years ago was I picked up a free "Heat Map" program and plotted signal strength in the house.  LIke your situation, I had great signal where the ISP modem entered the house, but it fell off tremendously at the far end.

A lot of discussion, but "not much help" I'm afraid.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 3 of 6
RikParr73
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is overkill, but my reasons are purely due to lack of signal in those areas. Internal walls are brick and flooring is wooden. The RBR40 is set up in access point mode (I got it cheap) so thought why not chuck that in too. I guess from reading your comments the kit is simply not sufficient at short range, or the internal brick walls are potentially causing an issue? 

My Virgin Modem and RBR50 are close to each other and close to the Virgin Media TV Box and TV, also my Phillips Hue Bridge, I will try moving the RBR50 away from all that. 

To be honest not sure what doing a walk round signal check will do other than identify the Orbi kit isn't doing it's job, surelly the wired devices should be giving out a strong enough signal, maybe someone can asnswer that at a later date.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Message 4 of 6
RikParr73
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. The wireless Sat is less than 30ft from the RBR50. I will check the links you have kindly provided to see if I can improve things. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the RBS is less that 30 feet, thats too close. You'll need to move the RBS farther away from the RBR. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7