Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to read the debug logs on Windows

itguy99
Follower

How to read the debug logs on Windows

Hello All,

I'm new to these forums. I have been searching for how to view useful logs from my Orbi system. I have an RBK53 system (with 2 satellites). Using the basic log found in the admin console/advanced/logs is useless. Like others have reported. 

What I am looking for is a more robust log showing me all traffic going in and out of my router. Souce and destination data included. I only need to log for a few minutes under known conditions, then be able to see what has gone in/out of my router during those few minutes. 

I have found other posts leading me to the debug.htm screens. Very useful. Thank you!! I can download the debug-log.zip file. What I now need to know are the following:

Which directory and file can I find a log of all in/out traffic?

Do I need a special log viewer?

For context, I only have Windows computers in my household. So for viewing the logs, I'd need a log viewer that is Windows friendly. I truly appreciate any help I can get. Appologies if this has already been answered in another thread. If so, I couldn't find it.

Cheers!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to read the debug logs on Windows

@itguy99 wrote:

Which directory and file can I find a log of all in/out traffic?

Do I need a special log viewer?

The zip file contains two files LAN and WAN.  The LAN file contains every packet that appeared on the Orbi internal LAN interface. The WAN file contains every packet that appeared on the Orbi WAN interface.  They are in a format called WinPCAP, so you need a Windows program that can display PCAP files.  I personally use Wireshark (from wireshark.org).  It is free.

The WAN file will be loaded with junk of no interest because other computers connected to your ISP  continually send out broadcasts and by definition every broadcast goes everywhere.

The LAN file will not include any packets that did not pass through the Orbi itself.  For example, if a computer and a printer are both connected to an Orbi satellite, or to a switch connected to the Orbi, then packets between them go directly.

This help?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7