Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to separate SSID's? No telnet after upgrade.

WorkingMan
Aspirant

How to separate SSID's? No telnet after upgrade.

There is no Telnet checkbox any more. What is the procedure to separate SSID's? I need to connect my smart light.

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@WorkingMan wrote:

There is no Telnet checkbox any more. What is the procedure to separate SSID's? I need to connect my smart light.

Please idenfity the make and model of smart light.  The vast majority of Internet of Things (IoT) devices are able to connect to mesh wireless systems without separating the 2.4G and 5G WiFi with separate names.

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

there isn't a procedure to seperate them anymore. Netgear pulled telnet access and even disabled the option of disabling auto-updates so people could downgrade to keep telnet. 

but like @CrimpOn says, usually you can get IoT devices working. Takes a little playing around sometimes to get your device on 2.4ghz (lazy coding on the IoT device makers part to require that). 

Message 3 of 5
kelf
Tutor

Hopefully NG will add separate SSID soon... I see 6E has the feature.  Unless they wanna force everyone to buy 6E Smiley Mad

Separate SSID for IoT: A separate network name for your Internet of things (IoT) devices like smart lights, smart plugs, and smart speakers, means it is easier to connect those devices that prefer a dedicated 2.4 GHz connection.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

6E only has a separate radio for IoT devices. Otherwise the main WiFi radios are still a single SSID which can't be separated. 

If you want some SSID separation on 50 series Orbi, you could load up Voxels FW which I believe still supports some SSID separation:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

@kelf wrote:

Hopefully NG will add separate SSID soon... I see 6E has the feature.  Unless they wanna force everyone to buy 6E Smiley Mad

Separate SSID for IoT: A separate network name for your Internet of things (IoT) devices like smart lights, smart plugs, and smart speakers, means it is easier to connect those devices that prefer a dedicated 2.4 GHz connection.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7