Tutor

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Yes it worksSmiley Happy!  also everything was fine speed / coverage wise but I just preffered my devices to be on 5ghz for the throughput.

Essentially yes like you said followed your steps to the letter but seemed to have to default the 2.4ghz SSID back reboot and then do it again like you mentioned, the only additonal commands i used were:

1)config set wl_ssid="$id_set"

2)config set wla_ssid="$id_set"

Happy it works now either way Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Fantastic! That's great news. I figured if my post could help even one other person it would be worth it. Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 739
Highlighted
Guide

I'm running the latest FW, V 2.0.0.74, and for some reason the "debug.htm" page won't come up.  I've tried starting from both logged-in and logged out states, following links, entering by hand . . .nothing but a spinning symbol.  I've left it for many minutes and no debug page.

So no ability to turn on telnet.  Tried to telnet in anyway, and as you might expect, no can do.

Any ideas?  It looks like this feature (debug.htm page) has been tried on this FW version and is working - just not for me :-((

I've tried both wired and wireless connections into the Router AND the Satellite with no luck.

Writing here because I'm trying to use the instructions to set up separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz.

Thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 28 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Are you able to connect to the Basic configuration page at http://192.168.1.1/index.htm and the Advanced configuration page at http://192.168.1.1/adv_index.htm ?

Message 29 of 739
Highlighted
Guide

Yes, both are working fine.  Just retried, everything the same.

Later today I'll try refreshing the FW, see if that helps.

Thanks for this set of instructions, btw.  Flexibility that should be part of the base product.

Message 30 of 739
Highlighted
Master

Still works on 2.0.0.76. Try another browser or another computer.

http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Message 31 of 739
Highlighted
Guide

st_shaw, changing the browser did the trick!  Switched to IE from Firefox and was able to get the /debug.htm page to show.  I was able to rename the 5GHz network, and got my Epson ET-3600 printer to attach to the 2.4G.  Reinitialized a couple devices to the 5G, and so far, everything is running happily on the separated networks.

Thanks so much to both you and khad!

Message 32 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Fantastic! Thanks for letting us know that did the trick. Have a great rest of your week. Smiley Happy 

Message 33 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can someone that has successfully followed step one of this post clarify/post a photo of what your phone looks like within the WIFI settings?

Does your phone see two different WIFI network names, one for the 2.4 GHz and one for the 5.0 GHz?  And pending which one you want to use for that device, you select accordingly? 

Since I did not see any instructions of entering your password, I assume you have the same password for both?

It seems like the steps that started this post separated the SSIDs but I am not clear of how your devices take advantage or see these two different SSIDs on a device like an iPhone, or if they have the same or different passwords.

Like others, I have a device that can only run on 2.4 GHz.  I am trying to get a SSID that it can be dedicated to and this post seems to be getting me in that right direction, but not sure what I would expect to see on any device trying to connect to this modified system.  Photos/clarity would be appreciated.

Message 34 of 739
Highlighted
Master

@Shooter71 If your device is 2.4G capable only, then it will only connect to 2.4 GHz.  There is no need to set a separate SSID.  You would only need to do that if your device is one of the very few that cannot operate properly with systems like Orbi that broadcast the same SSID on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Message 35 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Shooter71,

In most cases, @st_shaw is correct. You shouldn't need to have separate SSIDs because Orbi has band steering. Devices that aren't 5 GHz capable should connect automatically at 2.4 GHz. And devices that are 5 GHz capable should connect at 5 GHz and benefit from the greater bandwidth 5 GHz affords.

However, if you want to set up separate SSID to troubleshoot an issue you're having, you can follow the steps in my original post. The steps do not change any passwords. Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks will both use the same password you were using before you set separate SSIDs.

You will see both SSIDs in the list of avialable networks on your device(s). Make sure to "forget" the network that you don't want to connect to anymore, so the device doesn't fall back to the other SSID. Then connect to the one you want to use.

Message 36 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you Khad and st_Shaw, 

I am having trouble having a 2.4 Ghz device (Green Mountain Grill) connect to my WiFi and the online instructions state that I need to connect it do only the 2.4 Ghz frequency when running on a dual band router so that is why I was trying to seperate my SSID.  Since I was not able to get it to connect to my own WIFI, I assumed it was not smart enough to select the needed frequency.

Message 37 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Shooter71,

In your case the device should connect to the Orbi at 2.4 GHz even without going through all the hassle to create separate SSIDs. I have a couple smart outlets that are the same, and they correctly connected at 2.4 GHz even before I had separate SSIDs.

Creating separate SSIDs is really a last resort (or a troubleshooting step). In my case, everything works better for me now, but most folks are better off just using band steering. It's a lot easier. Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

@khad I did everything using telnet. Worked great. I now have one 5ghz SSID and one 2.4ghz SSID, but I also have my old SSID showing? And when I connect to 5ghz it seems to only connect to the Orbi Router. It never switches to the Sat. When I get far away from the router (and stand near the sat), the Wifi just drops dead. Other devices that still uses the old SSID (both 5 and 2.5GHz) seem to work fine and are connected to the Sat when they are near it.

Am I missing something?

Message 39 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

I am experiencing the same issue. I've created two SSID's as the document describes. The problem is the satelite only connects at 2.4g. I was reading elsewhere that several people are complaining about this same issues (using just the single SSID).

It's nice to connect via 5g - but performance drops around the satelite.

Message 40 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's going on in those cases. I haven't seen that behavior in my own setup. Everything is working as expected here. Sorry I can't offer any solutions, but I wanted to make sure to note my data point.

Message 41 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

I spoke too soon. The satelite switched to 5g a few minutes after I sent the message. So far so good. Thanks!
Message 42 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

That's great news, @notraces! Glad it's working well for you now. Thanks for the update. Smiley Happy

Message 43 of 739
Highlighted
Initiate

I changed my 5G SSID to something else by following the procedures listed above but I had to do an extra step... I didn't see anyone else mention that they had to repeat the process for each of the satellites. I could be missing where it is mentioned but I had to repeat the process and telnet into the satellite to switch the SSID on it too. It wasn't an automatic change on the satellite once I changed it on the router. I verified this with the "wifi analyzer" android app and could still see the original SSID and the new one on 5G even after rebooting both router and satellite and waiting a few minutes. Once I manually repeated the telnet changes into the satellite I can now see the 5G being broadcast from router and satellite using the new SSID.

I updated to the latest BETA firmware today, version V2.0.0.76, so I am not sure if that is why I had to repeat the process but then again I could just be having a "doh!!" kind of moment and I missed where it was mentioned.

Message 44 of 739
Highlighted

THANK YOU for posting this answer! It solved my problem.

peteytesting, you're being closed-minded to not realize that there are many scenarios in which haivng a single SSID for both networks works for everyone. Case in point: I had purchase a few WiFi power switches, and they could ONLY be set up when both the switches (which are only 2.4Ghz) and the smartphone are on the same WiFi network. Well guess what? Neither Android nor iOS devices offer the ability to specify which frequency to connect on. You pick the WiFi SSID, and that's it - so my devices were always connecting to the 5 Ghz network! I tried silly things like going out into my driveway so it would drop to the 2.4 Ghz network, but that still didn't allow me to set up the switches.

I made the telnet change to break apart the two networks into individual SSIDs, and presto, I could set up the WiFi switches. Netgear is foolish to not allow users to configure it this way if they need it.

Message 45 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

@jasondunn,

That's fantastic. Every time someone else tells a story of how it helped them, I'm even happier that I posted it. Have a lovely holiday!

Message 46 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

When I try "config get wla_ssid" I get no response. Not even a wifi name. How do I know the right current tag for "wla_ssid"?
Message 47 of 739
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate

I would also like to join and thank you for this article. I've checked the topic many-many weeks ago before i've purchased the device 4 days ago, and like the others mentioned here, it was also important for me as well, to keep the 5GHz capable devices on the 5GHz radio to keep the best performance possible all the time, while unfortunately i still have to provide connection for some 2.4 capable old devices.

Changed the 2.4GHz SSID immediately when started to configure the router and the sat and i'm extremely satisfied with the coverage and the speed and i've already dismissed my old setup what needed 4 devices for the 5GHz and 2 for the 2.4GHz connections... i've already been through having the same SSID for the two bands with my old setup and it didn't work out well and a fast speedtest before changing it on the Orbi have proven the same.

Now i have 2 devices instead of 6, serving the same coverage with at least double bandwidth (haven't tested LAN throughput yet, just used speedtest.net) and by now i could just get rid of all the cables and the UPSs for the old APs, but i keep them for other purposes.

Having this option was one of the main reasons (one of the others was the extreme performance i've read about in tons of articles) that i've decided to buy AC2200.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 48 of 739
Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Doing this as a first step without even trying the device as it was meant to work is a very bad idea, setting yourself up for problems with an unsupported configuration (meaning they can make changes that could affect it any time without you having any right to complain). 

I've previously run with seperate networks but now have everything under a single SSID and everything works as it should. I get great connectivity even way down to my neighbors house so I don't have to worry when roaming devices anywhere. 

It's great that someone found a way to do this from a personal satisfaction perspective, but it's a fools errand.

Message 49 of 739
Highlighted

@aaz wrote:

It's great that someone found a way to do this from a personal satisfaction perspective, but it's a fools errand.

A fool's errand? Really? Do you understand that this telnet method is the only way myself and others could get our devices to work? You're making ignorant comments and ignoring reality. NetGear is the foolish one for not giving customers a way to add devices such as 2.4Ghz smart switches that can only be set up via an app running on a 5ghz capable-device that must be on the 2.4 Ghz network. I looked for 5ghz-based smart switches and couldn't find any.

I would prefer to not have to alter the router and leave it the way NetGear designed it, but I didn't have an option.

Message 50 of 739
Top Contributors
Announcements