Reply
Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Not sure what you mean, I haven't had any problems with smart switches - even with a few very old Wemo devices and cameras.

Message 51 of 739
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@aaz wrote:

Not sure what you mean, I haven't had any problems with smart switches - even with a few very old Wemo devices and cameras.


Every smart switch I've seen lately only works on the 2.4 Ghz network, and requires a device (iOS or Android) also on the same 2.4 Ghz network, to set it up via an app. In my case, the app couldn't find the smart switch because my device was on the 5Ghz network - which doesn't make much sense to me because it's the same subnet and IP address block. But it simply wouldn't finish setting up properly until I forced my phone onto the 2.4 Ghz network. I was going to return the switches and try a different brand, but I couldn't find any that supported 5 Ghz frequencies.

Message 52 of 739
Highlighted
Master

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@jasondunn wrote:

@aaz wrote:

Not sure what you mean, I haven't had any problems with smart switches - even with a few very old Wemo devices and cameras.


Every smart switch I've seen lately only works on the 2.4 Ghz network, and requires a device (iOS or Android) also on the same 2.4 Ghz network, to set it up via an app. In my case, the app couldn't find the smart switch because my device was on the 5Ghz network - which doesn't make much sense to me because it's the same subnet and IP address block. But it simply wouldn't finish setting up properly until I forced my phone onto the 2.4 Ghz network. I was going to return the switches and try a different brand, but I couldn't find any that supported 5 Ghz frequencies.


The only switch I've ever used is an Iris Smart Switch. For initial setup your phone connects directly to the switch via an ad-hoc WiFi network.  After that, you control the switch with the app on your phone. There are no issues with a single SSID, the switch being on 2.4 and your phone being on 5 GHz.

 

Message 53 of 739
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@st_shaw wrote:


The only switch I've ever used is an Iris Smart Switch. For initial setup your phone connects directly to the switch via an ad-hoc WiFi network.  After that, you control the switch with the app on your phone. There are no issues with a single SSID, the switch being on 2.4 and your phone being on 5 GHz.

 


The brand I was using was Ottim and it definitely wasn't doing an ad-hoc network - you can tell because you can see the phone/tablet swtich networks. It was seeking the switch on the 2.4 Ghz network for sure. I wish the switches I bought worked the way the Iris switches do. :-)

Message 54 of 739
Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@jasondunn wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:


The only switch I've ever used is an Iris Smart Switch. For initial setup your phone connects directly to the switch via an ad-hoc WiFi network.  After that, you control the switch with the app on your phone. There are no issues with a single SSID, the switch being on 2.4 and your phone being on 5 GHz.

 


The brand I was using was Ottim and it definitely wasn't doing an ad-hoc network - you can tell because you can see the phone/tablet swtich networks. It was seeking the switch on the 2.4 Ghz network for sure. I wish the switches I bought worked the way the Iris switches do. :-)


Pretty sure this is the one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ28vi1FXhI

It seems to do what all other switches do for setup, the phone app connects to the switch via 2.4 Ghz network and connects to your wifi from the setup app. Not sure why that would not work if your router has both a 2.4 and a 5 Ghz network on the same SSID, but if that is the case - it's definitly the fault of the switch and software. 

It works seamlessly with my Wemo, old netgear camera, old dlink camera, Swann camera, Woods outdoor switch, Lutron, etc....

Message 55 of 739
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Of course it would be better to have this option on the web interface, but it is available via telnet, so it is supported... not for everyone... those who don’t need it, won’t change it until they get in a situation when they need it or they could buy an other product.

 

Still better than in some cases for other products when it is not even possible to have anything changed other way then the web interface.

 

For the trolls: i bought the product because i was able to change this setting and because of its other parameters it seemed suitable for my need. Like it or not, i’ve changed it, because i knew what i’m doing. I don’t really get why people keep trying to force their opinon on others just because some of us is happy with this solution... seems like it really hurts them. It is not a must, who doesn’t know what he’s doing and afraid of screwing an expensive device, should not do this, that’s all. 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 56 of 739
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@aaz wrote:

Pretty sure this is the one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ28vi1FXhI

It seems to do what all other switches do for setup, the phone app connects to the switch via 2.4 Ghz network and connects to your wifi from the setup app. Not sure why that would not work if your router has both a 2.4 and a 5 Ghz network on the same SSID, but if that is the case - it's definitly the fault of the switch and software. 


Same company, same app, different product (it's a wall plug) - but the setup with my phone on the 5 Ghz band and the wall plug on the 2.4 Ghz band simply wouldn't finish. I spent an hour fighting with it but as soon as I forced my phone to the 2.4 Ghz band, the setup worked the first time. I don't dispute at all that the switch/software is at fault here - but NetGear should allow users some sort of option to work with devices like this that expect everything to be on the same band.

Message 57 of 739
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Interesting discussion. How does one Telnet to an Orbi Satellite? I haven't opened my Orbi Three-Pack yet and would like to know this before doing so.

 

For me it's a deal breaker not to be able to have separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs. I like to force high demanding bandwidth devices like Apple TV, Satellite Receivers, Computers, Video cameras etc to 5ghz to use the 240mbps internet speeds I have available that 2.4ghz can't come close too. Lesser demanding devices like home automation switches, smart thermostats, smart smoke alarms, lights, etc. can comfortable live at 2.4ghz. My current Netgear R7000 has the capability to combine both 2.4 and 5 into a single SSID. Tried that and found that due to the better range of 2.4, devices attach to 2.4 and never switch to 5ghz even when standing next to the router. 

 

I hope Netgear is listening and adds a separate SSID option in a future fireware release.

 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 58 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Does this method create separate SSIDs on both router and satellites? In other words, does it create 4 separate SSIDs or 2 SSIDs that work on both router and satellite?
Message 59 of 739
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@thenighthawk wrote:
Does this method create separate SSIDs on both router and satellites? In other words, does it create 4 separate SSIDs or 2 SSIDs that work on both router and satellite?

Great question: I have no idea. I'd presume yes - as the satellite is essentially a repeater of the existing networks - but I can't think of how to test that theory out... Smiley Happy

Message 60 of 739
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

It creates 2 unique ssids. Each device broadcast on both SSIDs. if you look at it with a wireless analyzer you will see four entries, two devices, two SSIDs
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 61 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

How about just giving us the ability to assign a specific MAC address to a specific primary Ghz with the other as a fallback.   I guess this would override the algorithm internally if present.  


Boomerang3
Orbi (SRR60) FW V1.12.1.28
Netgear Switch GS116Ev2
Netgear Cable Modem CM600
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 62 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

How about just giving us the ability to assign 5Gz as primary at the MAC level.  If we add a MAC address for IP, let us assign 5GHz as primary.


Boomerang3
Orbi (SRR60) FW V1.12.1.28
Netgear Switch GS116Ev2
Netgear Cable Modem CM600
Message 63 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

So, I believe separating SSIDs should also work on RBK30 model? It's the model with the wall pluggable satellite.
Message 64 of 739
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

most devices allow you to set the 5 gig connection as the primary or first connection

 

this is why its not a great idea to change how the orbi works as in doing so you remove once of its primary features and thats band steering and ap steering , so the orbi will not be working as designed

Message 65 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

and ... to your point, I'm experiencing that with my iPhone 6 as I type.  It's finally picking up the 5GHz channel automatically and the speed tests reflect that.


Boomerang3
Orbi (SRR60) FW V1.12.1.28
Netgear Switch GS116Ev2
Netgear Cable Modem CM600
Message 66 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

In addition to seperating the SSID for the network, are we able to seperate the guest network SSID as well (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz guest bands)? If so how is this done?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 67 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Does not seem to work anymore in firmware V2.1.1.12

 

This update removed my seperate named ssid bands, and there seem to be no way (yet) to correct thant.  

 

grr..

Message 68 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I really appreciate your telnet instructions. I was trying to set up a Fitbit Aria and could never get it to hook the 2.4G while the 5G was on the same SSID. I did the SSID split, got the Aria connected and then reverted to the single SSID again as I haven’t had any of the disconnection issues others have mentioned. I like the ability to split the SSIDs and think it should be in the normal control panel - unless my GED doesn’t give me enough information to know that the Orbi really needs a single SSID for proper operation Smiley Wink
Message 69 of 739
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Rebooting your Orbi disables telnet.  At least it did on mine.

Message 70 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I'm curious what you consider to be working properly.  I bought my Orbi and expected it to work as advertised.   I have numerous 5Ghz capable devices from all different manuafcutrers and NONE of them are able to connect to the 5GHz band PERIOD.  My Galaxy Note 5 won't, my wife's Galaxy S8 wont.  My Roku Stick won't, My Roku TVs won't, My Raspberry Pi with 5ghz adapter won't, my Nexus 7 Tablet won't (shall I keep going?).  the Orbi is SUPPOSED to move 5Ghz capable devices to the 5Ghz band but IT DOESN'T.  That to ME is the definition of not working properly and that is using the DEFAULT configuration using the SAME SSID on both bands.    Seriously, I can post a full screenshot of my attached devices page and point out every 5ghz capable device showing that they all connect at 2.4.  

 

As a result of EVERYTHING connecting on the overcrowded, slower wireless network, constantly have trouble with devices falling off the network, buffering,and general overall slowness.  I have tried site surveys, changing channels, moving the devices closer, moving the Orbi, etc...  nothing helps. 

 

 

CHANGING THE SSID WORKS!!!!!  I don't care if you don't think so, the fact is it DOES work and it makes my network a lot more stable and usable.   My 5Ghz devices connect at 5Ghz and roam seamlessly from router to satellite,  My 2.4Ghz band nolonger has to stream 4K content to my Roku TVs so it's more usable.  The fact is, this fix works and should be incorporated into the ADVANCED section of the Orbi config rather than having to workaround it using telnet. 

Message 71 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I'm glad it works for you however I can put my phone right next to my Orbi and I still get pushed onto 2.4Ghz.  It's not a limitation of the client firmware or a positioning issue.  At least not in my case.    Separating the SSIDs IMPROVED my network speeds and eliminated dropouts completely.  I also use phone over wifi and since making this change, I too have perfectly stable service.

Message 72 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I can see why you would have dropouts.  I lived in a brick house when I lived in England.  My issue was running cables though.  Wifi hadn't really come out yet (mid 90s).  

 

I'm curious.  When you look at your connected devices page, how many are connecting to 5ghz versus 2.4?  In my neighborhood, 2.4Ghz is trash.  everyone under the sun has at least 2 APs (usually router and extender) and the band is saturated.  5 GHz is wide open.  I've run signal checks in various places (haven't done a heat map yet but plan to) and I get similar readings for 2.4 and 5 but everything always connects to 2.4 no matter what I do.  For me setting separate SSIDs (an option that has always been available until buying the Orbi) fixed my issues.

Message 73 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

@spas  In order to telnet to your satellite you must first get it's IP address from the Attached Devices tab.  Then do the same procedure as on the router but using the Satellite's IP address.

 

Message 74 of 739
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Anyone tried or knows the telnet commands to disable 2.4GHz completely?  I have absolutely no use for it in my environment and would like to just disable it.

Message 75 of 739
Top Contributors
Announcements