Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

@thenighthawk  Yes you end with a 2.4ghz ssid and a different 5ghz ssid on the router.  Once you telnet to your satellites and perform the same procedure on them, they will all have the same 2.4ghz ssid and the same (but different) 5Ghz ssid as on your router.  Scanning my network I see 2 mac addresses advertising my 2.4Gz ssid on channel 9 and 2 DIFFERENT mac addresses advertising my 5Ghz ssid on channel 48.

BTW I hate that they have such a limited set of 5Ghz frequencies available.  I tend to use 149 a lot as that is the only 5Ghz channel my phone will use for it's hotspot.  

Message 76 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Why would one want to telnet the satellite?  What am I missing here? 

Message 77 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

@cmgreenman

Thanks. So, if I telet satellite and separate SSIDs then I end up with 4 SSIDs? That's the reason why I returned Amplifi HD because when I separated SSIDs on Amplifi HD, I ended up with 4 SSIDs (two from router and two from satellite).  My Orbi is arriving on Friday and would really like to know this prior to unboxing it. 

Message 78 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Just follow the instructions in my original post. You'll end up with one 5 GHz SSID that works across both router and satellite and another SSID for the 2.4 GHz network that works across both router and satellite.

Message 79 of 739
Highlighted
Initiate

So once the SSID's/bands are separated, whichever is joined will never automatically switch over, for example in case the 2G signal is stronger than the 5G signal? So this effectively disables band steering but maintains seamless automatic handoff between router and satellites?

Is there a solution when you want only a few clients to always stick to a particular band/SSID? (but allow the others to switch according to how the system normally works)

Thanks.

Message 80 of 739
Highlighted
Guide

Thanks cmgreenman for the tip. I came across a free (limited functioning) wifi analysis tool for MAC/Windows called NETSPOT, It’s great for detecting WiFi networks and contains with helpful information, e.g. signal strength, SSIDs, MAC addresses, etc. Attached is a screen shot from my network scan this morning. I hope you’ll find this helpful.

Included in the screen shot are: 

My existing R700 router with 3 SSIDs:
 1) 5ghz – NETGEAR695,
 2) 2.4ghz – NETGEAR69, and
 3) Guest Network – NETGEAR69-Guest and

A recently installed ORBI with 2 Satellites - after splitting the SSIDs:
 1) 5ghz – APN2 and
 2) 2.4ghz – APN.

Please pay no attention to the other clutter.

The screen shot is from a Macbook Pro sitting next to both routers. The graph is showing the 5ghz (APN2) network S/N Ratio.

The ORBI Router’s MAC address is 80:02:8e:96:BF:11 (static MAC address on the bottom label). After splitting the SSIDS, the ORBI is apparently changing the 8th Octet to define the different frequency bands, keeping the 1st through 7th Octets the same. The 8th Octet defines the 2.4 and 5ghz bands/node.

ORBI Router

APN = 2.4ghz - 80:02:8E:96:BF:11 (static)

APN2 = 5ghz -  80:02:8E:96:BF:13

Satellite #1

APN = 2.4ghz - 80:02:8E:9C:64:29 (static)

APN2 = 5ghz -  80:02:8E:9C:64:2B

Satellite #2

APN = 2.4ghz - 80:02:8E:9C:02:4F (static)

APN2 = 5ghz -  80:02:8E:9C:02:51

Great thread…

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 81 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

@khad

I got my Orbi RBK30 tonight and just finished setting it up.  The setup was a breeze.  The only issue I ran into was updating firmware.  I had to manually update firmware because the online feature wouldn't detect any new firmware.  

After separating SSIDs as mentioned by @khad in his original post, everything's working great.  See the attached screenshot.  

The next challenge now is how do I configure my 5GHz SSID to use "wifi-AC" only and for 2.4GHz SSID to use "wifi-n" only?   Can anybody offer some assistance with this? 

Thanks a lot in advance.

2018-01-09_1-32-37.png

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 82 of 739
Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So I am trying to understand why people would want to do this? Out of the 24 devices on my network 10 are connected to 5 Ghz band and 14 that are better on 2.4 are on the 2.4.

I don't have any dropout. Everything is working including roaming.  Isn't the point of having a device like this so you don't have to micro manage your network and worry about small details. Not understanding the need to seperate out the bands. I am on firmware 2.1.2.16 so that may have something to do with it, but the point is this is working as it should. I don't see any problem.

Message 83 of 739
Highlighted
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@thenighthawk wrote:

@..

The next challenge now is how do I configure my 5GHz SSID to use "wifi-AC" only and for 2.4GHz SSID to use "wifi-n" only?   ..

Do you think by doing this that you will increase the speed of your devices, or what is the purpose? Why? 

I think doing something like this just sets you up down the line for a whacky time when you start having issues.

Message 84 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Awesome. I'm glad you don't have any problems. I have 28 devices connected of which slightly under half are 5fhz capable but every single device was getting steered to 2.4 GHz. Ever try to stream 4k on 2 devices over 2.4 GHz? Doesn't work well.

Splitting the SSID put me in control of the band steering. Works much better now.
Message 85 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

@aaz,

The short answer is that if things are working well for you, there is no reason to change anything. Things were not working well for me, so I found a solution that works.

I discussed this more in my posts #7 and #15 earlier in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Not everyone has the same situation. That's why choice is good. People for whom a single SSID works already have that choice. People for whom it does not work sort of have a choice if they are comfortable with telnet.

I live in one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in one of the largest cities in the US. It's just one tall apartment building after another. They're right next to each other.

As I'm sure you know, 2.4 GHz is much more crowded and much more prone to interference. For whatever reason, the Orbi would switch 5 GHz-capable devices to 2.4 GHz even when they are in the same room for hours and hours.

My wife and I work from home and rely on our Internet connection all day every day. We can't afford downtime in the middle of important work calls. I was sort of resigning myself to the fact that I had to turn Wi-Fi off and on multiple times each day, but she rightly said that that was completley unacceptable — especially since we had just spent hundreds of dollars on the Orbi system.

I finally found out how to set up separate SSIDs, so my primary devices will only connect to the 5 GHz network. (A couple IoT devices connect to the 2.4 GHz network, and that's fine for them.)

After setting up separate SSIDs, the Orbi has been rock solid for me in my home.

Everyone has a different situation, and I think it's rather presumptive for someone to tell me that the solution that works for me shouldn't work or isn't the right solution.

If using a single SSID works for you, that's awesome! That's the way the Orbi works out of the box, so you have a much easier time with the Orbi than I did. I'm genuinely happy for you. I wish my experience was like that. I'm kind of jealous. Smiley Happy

Why some folks can't seem to be equally as happy that others found a way to make the Orbi rock solid in their own environments perplexes me.

Message 86 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok, all of you sound like experts and what you were saying sounds like Greek.  Bottom line, is there an easy way to create a seperate SSID for 5 GHZ and 2.4 GHZ?

Message 87 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

@mahjr,

The only way to have separate SSIDs at this time is to follow the steps in my original post:

For whatever reason, Netgear doesn't provide a simple, editable text field in the Wireless Network configuration. (I really wish they did.) At this time, you'll need to use telnet. If you're not comofrtable with that, you should probably ask a friend who is.

Message 88 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

When I tried "config get wla_ssid" I didn't get a response. Not even a wifi name. Nevertheless I changed the name to a 5GHZ network. Now I do get a response with config get wla_ssid, but the 5GHZ SSID isn't showing up when I scan for networks. Any ideas?

Message 89 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Check your main Orbi 'Advanced Home' page and verify the 5G is showing the name you want and the Broadcast Name is ON if desired. If it isn't you have to do the telnet again and get it in there (don't forget the reboot). If the correct name is showing in the main Orbi but not the satellites you will need to power cycle the satellites to get them to pick it up (at least that is what I had to do). Side note: If the Broadcast Name isn't on you can toggle that in Advanced, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings. Good luck!

Message 90 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the inital posting, great thread.  I am coming from a Nighthawk and new Nighthawk extender that had amazing whole house coverage on the 5 Ghz band.  With my 150/150 internet, I only get about 70/60 at 2.4 Ghz because the 2.4 Ghz band is soooo crowded in my area (next to some multi-family developments).  Just put in Orbi because, well, they are more aesthetically pleasing (wifey), more so than the obsidian behemoths.  Honestly, the Orbis seem like the same tech, even the extender ports/buttons are in the same spots on the satellite, but the Orbi is clearly meant for the non-prosumer, for example, Nighthawk has a WPS button, Orbi has a "Sync" button in the same spot.  Instantly noticed the speed issue and attirbuted it to the 2.4 GHz issue because I knew the speeds I was getting on both bands.  I have enablled the MMO and Beamforming per another thread, which seems to be holding for the moment, but I was a hair away from putting the Nighthawks back in place to blast out the signal until I saw this thread.  I will try the seperate SSIDs if it falls back to 2.4 Ghz and report back.

I will say it not nicer than you.  Anyone who thinks that a prosumer shouldn't be able to adjust the settings, like establishing 2 SSIDs, on their very, very expensive router needs to have their head examined. Orbi is designed to be a consumer friendly whole house solution, but to be a solution for everyone, it has to have flexibility.

Message 91 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Thank you so much! This have helped me tremendously! Am able to properly test my network and see how each band are operating! And I was! Able to see my data flow dipping on my 5 and extremely **bleep**! On 2.4 now I can adjust my channels according to adapt to my environment! 🙌🏽 Thank you a million this was something that was nagging me before cause I couldn’t test my data stream! 😩
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 92 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

@thenighthawk wrote:

@cmgreenman

Thanks. So, if I telet satellite and separate SSIDs then I end up with 4 SSIDs? That's the reason why I returned Amplifi HD because when I separated SSIDs on Amplifi HD, I ended up with 4 SSIDs (two from router and two from satellite).  My Orbi is arriving on Friday and would really like to know this prior to unboxing it. 

@thenighthawk 

Actually, if you do a wifi scan you will see that you will ALWAYS have 4 SSIDs.  2 from each router.  They just all 4 happen to be set the same by default.

Message 93 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hello, I have the latest Macbook Pro running Higher Sierra. I'm tryin to separate the SSID's on my Netgear Orbi system using the instructions you've given me.

1. I've logged into the admin panel and enabled TELNET there. Great.

2. Now when I open Terminal and enter:

telnet 192.168.1.1 

it shows me an error. See attached screenshot. So now I'm stuck? How do you get make the TELNET work in higher Sierra. What is th exact set of commands in Terminal please to allow me to then follow your instructions to separate the SSID's on the Orbi so my devices can only link to the 5Ghz channels all the time. Thank you!

Message 94 of 739
Highlighted
Master

@worldofshayan wrote:

Hello, I have the latest Macbook Pro running Higher Sierra. I'm tryin to separate the SSID's on my Netgear Orbi system using the instructions you've given me.

1. I've logged into the admin panel and enabled TELNET there. Great.

2. Now when I open Terminal and enter:

telnet 192.168.1.1 

it shows me an error. See attached screenshot. So now I'm stuck? How do you get make the TELNET work in higher Sierra. What is th exact set of commands in Terminal please to allow me to then follow your instructions to separate the SSID's on the Orbi so my devices can only link to the 5Ghz channels all the time. Thank you!

Apple removed telnet.  

Use "nc 192.168.1.1 23" instead

Message 95 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

If this isn't working for anyone with satellites you need to telnet into those to do the same operation as on your Orbi router and again you won't be able to telnet into them until you Enable Telnet in the satellites.

Presuming you have already performed the correct operation for the main Orbi router do the following:

Go to your Attached Devices under the basic tab in your Orbi router admin to see what the ip addresses are for your satellites, usually 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3.

Then log out of your router admin and log in to your satellites by going to their ip address in a browser: 

http://192.168.1.2

Once logged in you may already see the new names you gave for your 2.4g and 5g SSIDs previously in the main router but that doesn't mean they are working correctly for your satellites yet.

Then go to 

192.168.1.2/debug.htm

and tick Enable Telnet.

After that you will be able to telnet into your satellites

telnet 192.168.1.2

Test to see if your satellite is using the new SSIDs

config get wl_ssid

and

config get wla_ssid

If you get an no response for one of the SSIDs then you know you need to set them.

To set them you can perform the same operations as previously described (hit enter after each line):

config set wl_ssid="ENTER A NAME FOR 2.4G"
config set wla_ssid="ENTER A NAME FOR 5G"
config commit
reboot

Also remeber if you have RBK40 or RBR40 Orbi routers you'll need to again (just as you did for the main router) use the below work around before setting names for the SSIDs above.

config set wl_ssid="$id_set"
config set wla_ssid="$id_set"
config commit
reboot

Repeat for each satellite.

Hope that helps.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 96 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi

Thank you for this post, really useful!

One question though - I am unable to connect to any of the 192.168.1.1 pages you direct me to so that I can enable telnet (telnet works on my laptop)  - is there something else I need to turn on / off? As far as I know there are no parental controls or other things like that turned on.

Incidentally I have just updated to the latest firmware - v2.1.2.18. Is is possible that they have changed / blocked the IP address?

Any thoughts hugely appreciated. Thank you!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 97 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

I'm using the same firmware and works for me but I'm on RBR40. Can you log in to your main router admin?

Message 98 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

@NickSaund wrote:

Hi

Thank you for this post, really useful!

One question though - I am unable to connect to any of the 192.168.1.1 pages you direct me to so that I can enable telnet (telnet works on my laptop)  - is there something else I need to turn on / off? As far as I know there are no parental controls or other things like that turned on.

Incidentally I have just updated to the latest firmware - v2.1.2.18. Is is possible that they have changed / blocked the IP address?

Any thoughts hugely appreciated. Thank you!

Are you able to log in to your router via:

http://orbilogin.net/
Message 99 of 739
Aspirant

hi I did all of the steps, but the 5G network still doesn't show up even though I attached a 5G at the end

when I use iwconfig, it shows ath1 (the 5G) as ESSID:"NETGEAR_ORBI_hidden79"

I checked the settings, and the SSID is supposed to show

I have the RBR40, firmware V2.1.2.18

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 100 of 739
Top Contributors
Announcements