Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Hi

Yes I can log in to the main router admin at orbilogin.net - but I don't think there is an option to turn on telnet within that?

Message 101 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

to turn on telnet once logged in go to orbilogin.net/debug.htm and tick enable telnet
Message 102 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

don’t know what iwconfig is but if you have rbr40 you will need to do

config set wl_ssid="$id_set"
config set wla_ssid="$id_set"
config commit
reboot

before trying to add new SSIDs
Message 103 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

one other thing to note that on my RBR40 when I tried to change my 5g SSID the name stayed the same but my 2.4g SSID name changed to a name I had not entered so must be some kind of original SSID called DNIWIFI which for me worked fine.
Message 104 of 739
Tutor

Follow up on whether MMMO and Burst settings ended up helping. Bottom line, no. Ended up following SSID instructions and worked flawlessly. Awesome thread! Only change I made was to adjust the 2.4 GHz SSID to the "new" name so as to keep all existing devices using the existing name on the 5 GHz network. Worked great. Orbi switched new name to 2.4 GHz, and existing name is the 5 GHz, so didn't have to go device to device to change networks.
Message 105 of 739
Highlighted
Guide

NickSaund,

Try a different browser.  Back on page 2 of this string of replies, you'll see I had the same issue and was able to get through by switching from firefox to internet explorer.

Hope this works for you.

RichDM

Message 106 of 739
Highlighted

Seriously! PROPS! These instructions are a life saver!

I had my old DD-WRT based router set for 802.11AC ONLY (none of that dropping back to N/G/B crap) and 5Ghz only, it outperformed my Orbi setup with/without Sat each/every test (internal, I live where WAN is slow as s**t) despite having higher spec's!

While I am not AT or ABOVE my prior DD-WRT router config, I at least am damn near close (within 50Mbps) on transfers, which is close enough for me, moving around video's and iso archives is a PITA over wireless without this! dropping to 2.4, clients connecting as N... expecially throughout my house now without having to rerun wires!

I had already gone around and set clients to 802.11a (5ghz only) and that helped, but it wasnt until I had the server (the Orbi's) set for TWO SSID's one for 2.4 and one for 5 that things improved!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 107 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Hammerfest, that puts a smile on my face. Delighted to know this improved things for you. Have a fantastic weekend! 

Message 108 of 739
Highlighted
Initiate

How this is not a built in option is an absolute disgrace, yes it shouldnt be required but when you can have a device only 5 meters away and 100% signal strength yet it is allocated a 2.4g connection is a a clear sign Netgear have massive issues.

I have come from an asus ac88u, they now offer mesh which is the reason most of us chose arlo, the asus can change both ssid's you can pick how agressive each conection is before it changes networks and prioritise 2.4g or 5g.

This product is the most half baked over promoted item I have had the pleasure of owning, Google has created issues but that is only half the story.

Looking forward to an immediate remedy or this item will be returned to retailer with a not fit for purpose sticker on it.

Congrats on offering a usable work around, perhaps you could take over the engineering role at Netgear, I have wasted a week of my life trying to overcome drop outs, dissconects and have had enough.

Message 109 of 739
Highlighted

then by all means take it back

the orbi system works fine for most , its not going to get a fix to give ppl the ability you want because negear believe this is not what the orbi is designed for

i can tell you the asus aimesh has its issues too as tbh have most mesh type systems

Message 110 of 739
Highlighted

Yep, Netgear gives no **bleep**s about its users, otherwise the broken QoS page and feature would have been fixed long ago.

Glad to know you know exactly how netgear thinks, and: "orbi was designed for", by all means the ability to individualize frequency's, bands and everything else pretty much falls under EVERY "designed for" situation so not sure what Netgear Orbi documentation you where reading because the documentation I read SCREAMS for this feature!

They listen somewhat, we finally got wired backhaul as a feature! Not that the critters that crawl under my house care, its why I chose the Orbi for that 1Gbit backhaul over wireless so I dont have to run cable anymore! (or metal pipes for the cable)

Message 111 of 739
Highlighted
Initiate

Thanks so much!  Had a computer that would only connect to 2.4ghz and would have horrible ping rates.  The ping rates on 5ghz were stellar but connecting was random.  Created a separate network changes and everything is perfect.  Thanks again.  Netgear should really provide this option.

Message 112 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi all, I am a new Orbi user (like 45 mins new).  I did some research and besides having great reviews one of the reason I chose this system was because of the "hack" to get the split SSIDs for 2.4/5 Ghz.  I updated to the latest firmware 2.1.2.18 and did the whole login via telnet and was able change the SSID of my 5ghz network name.  However, it seems like after I change some things in the router settings and save it, the SSID names re-join under one.  This happening to anyone else?  Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to telnet into the satellite and do something too?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 113 of 739
Highlighted
Star

Yes, I've played around with this a lot.  I have 3 satellites.  Be sure to do the same procedure for each satellite too.  If I change either the 2.4 or 5g channel after I've  done the SSID split, it reverts back to 1 SSID. 

Message 114 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

@M5Pilot wrote:

Yes, I've played around with this a lot.  I have 3 satellites.  Be sure to do the same procedure for each satellite too.  If I change either the 2.4 or 5g channel after I've  done the SSID split, it reverts back to 1 SSID. 

Im not sure what you mean by do it to the other satellites too?  I followed the telnet example in this post earlier to do it.  Do you mean do the same thing, but get the IP address of the satellite and run the same telnet comands on it?

Message 115 of 739
Highlighted
Star

Exactly.  I had only done the router too but read somewhere here to also do the satellites.  

Message 116 of 739
Highlighted
Guide

It wasn't necessary for me to reconfigure the Satellites. I telneted to the router, changed the 5ghz name (wla_ssid) and rebooted as instructed. After a few minutes I opened a browser and URL'ed to each Satellite and confirmed the status of each band.Running Firmware Version: V2.1.2.18 on all three.

Message 117 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Had mine setup but doing a firmware update to .18 undid it.

Message 118 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

It’s seems doing this on the satellite keeps it, but if I change the channel it reverts back and I have to do again. I don’t get why they don’t enable the splitting natively for those that want it. Any way to keep this from changing with setting updated?
Message 119 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm using a Roomba and it cannot connect to 5 GHZ. Therefore I need to force it to connect to Orbi 2.4ghz.  Using the stock setup that Orbi comes with, it does not work.

Message 120 of 739
Highlighted

THAT REMINDS ME!

My "My Passport Wireless Pro" would refuse to auto connect to my Orbi and id always have to login and try to connect 3 times (literally) after it disconnected or I had taken it some place and returned, after doing this modification I have yet to have to login to reconnect it!

So nice to have my "Portable" Plex/NAS work like a charm!

Message 121 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Has anyone tried this:  do the proceedure and when finished do a backup.? Then if anything goes wrong and the the system reverts back to a single SSID, do a restore.  This would be simpler to do than doing the proceedure.  What I don't know is does the dual SSID get saved in a backup.

Message 122 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

I recently purchased and installed a RBK30 system.  It works perfectly EXCEPT I have multiple TP-Link Smart WiFi Plugs and bulbs that only connect on 2.4GHz.  Orbi refuses to recognize them.  Are separate SSID's my only option?  I am one of those general consumers that should probably stay away from everything proposed in this forum.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 123 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

It might not make a difference, but you can try to locating the setting for 20/40 mhz coexistence and turn it off or on.

Message 124 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

That Worked!!!  It was on and I turned it off.  Thank you so much.

Message 125 of 739
Top Contributors
Announcements