Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I wish I came across this post sooner, it might have convinced me to stick with the Orbi.

For the issues you were having before you separated the SSID's (wife having connectivity issues) - I'm almost positive it's from this same issue described here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/What-you-can-expect-with-your-Orbi-system/m-p/1503034#M23257

I've experienced the same - 4-5 macbooks (regular, air, and pro) consistently disconnecting from the net while showing full signal to the orbi - and ended up getting a different product.  I still have my Orbi router and satellites cause it was past my return window so I may give it another try by separating the SSID's when I get time.

I really don't understand the "superusers" here that jump on people that have issues and even present a solution like this to tell us that we are using the device wrong.  Maybe they are trying to get hired by netgear as support/forum admins by being active but they really do a disservice to users experiencing issues and make us doubt ourselves - especially when Netgear has even admitted to the issue recently here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/m-p/1506307#M23649

and the LARGEST thread in these forums are people experiencing connectivity issues here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1371999#M13730

But there are "masters" and "superusers" on these forums that like to defend the product blindly and tell us that it must be something that we are doing wrong.  It really undermines our time and effort we put into debugging these to get it work within our environments.

Message 126 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@naerok,

I have no doubt at all that it's the exact same problem @t_k posted there (more eloquently than I did in this thread).

My wife and I were constantly being disconnected from work calls (Skype, Slack, Zoom.us, etc.) and having the Internet apparently just stop working. If I recall correctly, it was resolved by simply turning off Wi-Fi in the menu bar on each Mac, but at that point, it's already too late. The business deal is lost. Oh, and it's also a PITA to have to do that multiple times during the work day.

If you do try separating the SSIDs, I'd be curious to know if it solves the problem for you.

As for the unhelpful "superusers", at this point I just ignore anyone who clearly doesn't know how wireless networking works. Yes, we've all tried turning it off and on again. And MIMO. And beamforming. And everything else. Some people seem to think I enjoy telnetting to my router and monkeying around – like that's what I do on my weekends for fun. Hardly! I just want the damn thing to work, and I found a way to do that after exhausting all other options. You can be sure that my next mesh network system won't be one from Netgear.

Message 127 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@khad yep - experienced the same.  Although if you glance over the long thread I linked before, a lot of people including me didn't get their connection restored by turning the wifi on/off on the impacted devices (macbooks, etc. - mac mini connected to same satellite on ethernet had no problems whasover).  The solution for this is to reboot the satellite and some orbi users have had to purchase smart outlets / timers to power cycle their satellites once per day while they are sleeping / away from home - it's rediculous.  

see this guy: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1512445#M24230

I didn't check these forums while I was experiencing issues and I was stressing out for WEEKS thinking it was something I did wrong.  Even factory resetted several laptops, hard wiring my building for ethernet backhaul satellites, etc. and the only thing that worked was replacing the system.  Even looking at the unplugged Orbis in my storage area pisses me off right now lol.  Once I'm less emotionally upset about how much time I wasted trying to solve an issue that I see tons of people having here, I'll give it a go because the Orbi's definitely gave the best signal strength when it worked.

Message 128 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@naerokwrote:

Once I'm less emotionally upset about how much time I wasted trying to solve an issue that I see tons of people having here, I'll give it a go because the Orbi's definitely gave the best signal strength when it worked.

And the speed and signal strength are the only things keeping me around for now.

I completely understand your frustration. I'm glad I figured out how to spearate the SSIDs early on in my Orbi ownership, otherwise I would have just returned the whole thing.

Time for us to get back to work or enjoy our days off. All this talk of Orbi is upsetting me. Haha!

Message 129 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

thanks a lot for this ! saved my day (and my orbi too, or i would have returned it!)

what is wrong with these "superuser" ?! you should be remove privileges from this board! you are no superuser but useless brainless ppl or what ?

of course it's not for "noobies", but for advanced user, but can you tell me a "noobie" knowning what the difference between 2.4ghz and 5Ghz wifi ? (do YOU actually know the difference ?!). Does "noobie" looks on internet for this trick ? OF COURSE NOT ! will they know how to connect in telnet ? OF COURSE NOT!

god i cant believe in 2018 ppl cant understand Internet is made for sharing knownledge ...

without this trick my foscam C1 ip cam wont work because god know why, it doesnt support when there is an overlap 2.4 & 5ghz wifi ...

please think when you are a superuser before writting, you are shameful !

Message 130 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

btw this "trick" didnt work perfectly for me, i had to look into /etc/init.d/boot to find out, netgear changed the wla_ssid parameter name. 

maybe we will soon be able to change it through the interface?

the new parameter name for me is "wla_2nd_ssid"  (or " wla1_2nd_ssid" for guest 5ghz) on RBR40 with firmware V2.0.0.56

useful command: grep ssid /etc/init.d/boot

i won't give more detail to make sure "superuser" wont get mad in case "noobie" try it out without knowning what they are doing.

in case you got issues, when i look through the config, it seems that to revert the bad setting you did, you can try through the interface to change the ssid, it should reset both 2.4 and 5ghz ssid back. 

of course a factory reset should also do the trick

Message 131 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

in case superuser decide to delete this tread, i wrote it all down on my personal blog: https://goo.gl/jsUD3u

thanks again for the help (you are of course quote in sources)

damn i'm mad against these superuser ahaha ! thanks again for the help, keep up the good work on helping the community :-)

Message 132 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Oniric,

That's good to know about the other parameter name. My Orbi is still configured with the settings in my original post, so either it hasn't changed, my configuration was automatically converted, or both are supported during some kind of transition phase.

In any event, thanks for making a note of that if I never need to revisit my configuration in the future. (I'm hoping I never have to.)

Have a great rest of your week!

Message 133 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Does upgrading the firmware restore the original ONE SSID environment? 

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 134 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@stevies3

I've been using the same setup without any modifications since firmware version 2.0.0.74. It's working great with – I had to check just now – firmware version 2.1.2.18.

I haven't thought about since I set it up about half a year ago. Smiley Happy

Message 135 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

It definately changed mine back to original.  I have no idea why it would change for some and not for others.  I have not had a chance to try doing a backup and restore if needed to see if that would restore the custom settings.  I will try it once the firmware version mess is back to normal.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 136 of 674
Highlighted

Just registered to this forum to tell you that your solution to split the Wifi into 2 separate SSIDs worked wonders. I had a problem with my LG V30+. Whenever I moved through the house, or just a little too much within my office, it would drop my Wifi connection and the VoIP call that was going on. It was frustrating.

After separating the bands, the issue was gone. My only fear is that netgear might remove the ability to telnet intothe device in the future. Should I return my orbi as long as I can and get the pro version? I heard the pro comes with this feature - but on the other hand I am not willing to pour even more money into Netgear's throat...

I guess one can always downgrade. Or petition.

Netgear, please allow the use of 2 different names. My phone does not work well with one and I am dropping important calls all the time Smiley Sad

Message 137 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@metabubble,

Really glad to hear that having separate SSIDs worked for you, too! It seems to solve a lot of problems (that Netgear is either denying or ignoring) for a lot of people.

Personally, I'm happy with the setup, so I kept the Orbi system. If and when Netgear does something to break this workaround I'll have to evaluate my options at that time. For now – with the separate SSIDs – it's the fastest and most reliable connection I've ever had. I don't want to mess with it unless I'm forced to.

That said, I hear really good things about eero, so that's what I'd probably look at if I had to switch to something else.

Message 138 of 674
Highlighted

@khadI tried Zyxel Multy X today. The setup app is horror and the devices are meant to be used tabletop. My Orbis are mounted right below the ceiling. Sending the Zyxel back in favor of orbi, hope they won't break this workaround in the future...

Message 139 of 674
Highlighted
Initiate

This is very helpful.

only one thing, I have to connect to 10.0.0.1

Message 140 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

These are very helpful commands!

config get wl_ssid
config get wla_ssid

However, can you help me find the commands to get and set the GUEST 2.4 and 5Ghz SSIDs?  I have been trying to guess what they might be, and cannot find them anywhere.

Thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 141 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

@Augie-I: you can find some details on my blog about it : https://blog.jocelynlagarenne.fr/jsn/index.php/integration/114-how-to-get-different-ssid-on-orbi-mes...

i did exactly what you are looking for

Message 142 of 674
Highlighted

I have a Rachio sprinkler controller and two Roombas plus some Kuna security lights.  All require the setting-up phone to be on 2.4ghz wifi.  Without an ironclad way to do that it is impossible to set up these devices.  That's why this workaround is *SO* important.  I like the idea of seamlessly switching between 2.4/5 with the same SSID, but in the real world I have to deal with Rachio, iRobot, and Kuna, who are still stuck in the 2.4ghz land.  Why is that?  a dual-band radio costs another half-dollar?  But that's a rant for a different forum.

Message 143 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

I think this might be the real root cause for me as well. Will try when I’m having enough time!

Replaced some weeks ago an old Apple Airport  Extreme / Express System which I got to work only with different SSID´s for 2 and 5 GHz ! 

Replaced by the Orbis I got way better coverage and speed but with the issues described! 

All stationary and wired devices work perfectly reliable independent if they are connected to satellite

or router. Only mobile devices struggle! Main issue was before sw 2.1.4.10 even Speedtest within the Orbi App was not running  reliable. => does this finally mean seamless roaming between 2 and 5 Ghz just not working or is this an Netgear Orbi or an Apple Wifi issue?

Message 144 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

Thank you all for this great thread. 

I'm about to buy an Orbi+satellite, or was, then saw this. 

Please can anyone tell me if this fix is still working on the latest firmware, recent posts suggest maybe not? 

Message 145 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Re-natus,

It still works.

If it ever stops working, you can bet I will make some pretty loud noise about it.

I depend on separate SSIDs for functional Internet access at home (which includes 100% of work for both my wife and myself).
Message 146 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Were you able to get it to stay working after doing a firmware update?  I lost mine.

Message 147 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Glennr,

I have been receiving automatic firmware updates for over a year (including many months since I first posted these instructions). I have never had to perform the steps again, and I continue to have separate SSIDs.

And I would definitely notice if it ever stopped working because my Internet would stop working.
Message 148 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

TCL and Roku TVs, latest Amazon Fire, Apple Tvs have had issues bouncing between 2.4 and 5.   

Yes, it would be great if if one SSID worked, but obviously it doesn't in the real world. Similarly, Intel's Puma chip didn't exhibit jitter in the labs but real world it sucks - just about every Comcast modem needs replaced. 

Message 149 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

I purchased an Orbi for the home we just moved into (single family unit) where I have CentryLink Gigabit

It was horrible, I spent 3 full days trying to figure out how to fix this crap because sometimes I had awesome coverage and speed (200mps +) and other times I could barely do anything. Speed tests would fail or show something horrible lik 10mbps. My smart home devices kept disconnecting and some times unable to upload video from some of my security cameras).

I tried all of the usual tips from the site. The ONLY thing that made me realize the Orbi is actually good is when I went into advanced setings and turned off the 2.4 ghz SSID broadcasting.  After that, all my problems went away. Anywhere in my house and garage has phenomenal coverage and data.

Problem is, I also have some smart home devices that only support 2.4ghz, so I was basically screwed. Either live with horrible connectivity (unacceptable at this price and in genera) or have to setup a totally different router for 2.4ghz.  So I decided I was going to return my orbi and either try google wifi, or go with the Netgear Night Hawk. As I was packing up my Orbi when it occured tome to look to see if someone else figured this out.

Low and behold on Reddit I found these same instructions. 

MAGIC. Now with my "SSID name -5g" all of my normal devices (macs, iphones, windows pcs, etc) are never disconnecting, getting great range AND great data, and all of my smart home devices are working flawlessly. They have yet to disconnect after weeks.

There is something fundamentally flawed with how the Orbi device is managing how devices switch between 5g and 2.4g. And it's fustrating to hear how these power users fail to understand that even if they are not experiencing it themselves.

Shame on them. if it wasn't for this, my Orbi woudl be on a box back to Amazon with a 1 star review given how horrible it was.

Now, I've kept it, supported Netgear and added a 5 start raving review.

Netgear - you really need to make this an advanced settings for those who are running into this horrible user experience. 

Message 150 of 674