metabubble
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

@schumaku wrote:

@dinokath wrote:

Plus, when the option comes up for me to connect to a network, it shows me two networks, the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz and I cannot tell which is which when they are named the same.

What odd wireless station does show the same SSID more than once? macOS doesn't. Windows doesn't. Android doesn't. iOS doesn't. Decent Linux desktop OS don't.

"Decent Linux" - you surely seem you know what you are talking about.

I have a couple odd wireless station to name for you

• Armcrest security cameras
  • Xiaomi Devices (Robot Vacuum, Zigbee Hub)
  • TP-Link Kasa WiFi smart switches

I also have some other words for you but community rules prohibit me from posting them.

Message 251 of 835
MingQuan
Aspirant

I have tried the telnet method to change to the ssid. I was able to change it in the telnet, but after rebooting, there is no separate 5Ghz network shown when searching for wifi.

I went back to telnet > config get wla_ssid and wl_ssid, it was showing 2 separate network, but i could not find it anywhere on the wifi. 

Is there anyway to solve it? currently on V2.2.1.210

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 252 of 835
MingQuan
Aspirant

Message 253 of 835
soundersfc
Apprentice

This still works, so make sure you are following all the steps in the right order and saving it.

Message 254 of 835
cmgreenman
Apprentice

Yep. I just did this a couple weeks ago. Also make sure you do the same thing on the satellite. When I did this it only changed the router not the satellite. Find your satellite's IP address on the router. Point your browser to that IP and url (http://<ip_address>/debug.htm) and login using the same user/password as your router. The debug page is the same as on the router. Enable telnet and then telnet to the satellite address. Run your set commands and save the config. Reboot and your're done.
Message 255 of 835
scutzi128
Initiate

I can confirm I can not get the SSID to split on my RBK40 on the 2.2.1.210 firmware. I tried eveything I read in this thread. Once I finish the config commit command and reboot and telnet back in the get wla_ssid returns the value I entered but there is no such ssid actually created. Honetly for the cost of these units I expect them to work much better. Im running these in AP mode and my Asus ac-3100 has better or equal signal in some spots where there is an orbi much closer.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 256 of 835
MingQuan
Aspirant

Thats what happened to mine. I tried changing wla_2nd_ssid too, but everytime it was reverts back to the original name.

Message 257 of 835
sbkeisel
Aspirant

Looking for any help- I have been able to go into my router and satellites using Telnet and have configured seperate ssid's for the 2.4 and 5ghz. I confirm this in telnet with the "config get wla_ssid" command and it will return the new name I gave the 5ghz, same thing with the 2.4 ghz. 

The problem is that when I look at the advanced settings it is still only showing the 2.4ghz ssid name, not two seperate networks. I have looked on multiple devices and there is no seperate 5ghz band showing anywhere. 

I have also done the following command sequence as suggested in this thread, which changed the ssid to DNIWIFI, and afterwards I did the regular sequence but I still cannot get two bands to broadcast.

config set wl_ssid="$id_set"
config set wla_ssid="$id_set"
config commit
reboot

Any advice on where I went wrong?

Thanks in advance

Message 258 of 835
cmgreenman
Apprentice

It looks to me like you're setting both settings to the same variable value.

'$id_set' hints at a variable.

config set wl_ssid="ssid"
config set wla_ssid="ssid 5g"
config commit
config get wl_ssid
config get wla_ssid
reboot

Also remember, any time you save a WiFi setting in the GUI, your split SSIDs will revert to a single SSID again. You will have to repeat the above steps every time you save wifi settings in the web page.
Message 259 of 835

I actually have the Orbi RBK23 but that wasn’t an option in the drop drown. Just got mine and updated to the latest firmware before setting it up. I could not get this to work. I was able to modify the SSID for 5G (wla_ssid) and, after rebooting, the value for wla_ssid DID correctly show the value that I entered, which was absolutely different than the value for wl_ssid. But, as others have recently reported, it did not show the second SSID in the advanced wireless area of the GUI and the SSID was not being broadcast—no devices see it. I suspect something was changed in recent firmware such that this process no longer works.
Message 260 of 835
soundersfc
Apprentice

What do you see when you visit the satelite page? (e.g. http://192.168.0.8/status.htm).

Even though I have my successfully seperated from a previous fireware, in the main orbi admin pages in advanced settings I'm no longer seeing the two seperate like I did before (but it's still working). However the status.htm page of the Satelite does show each one with their unique names. I have teh R50

Message 261 of 835
Schmak01
Apprentice

I wanted to clear something up for folks that are complaining that we shouldn't have to separate the SSID's, maybe this will help Netgear fix the issue, but there is definitely a problem with the speed on the 2.4 Ghz network compared to the 5 which necessitates the separation. 

This first capture is from my iPhone standing right next to the router, on the 2.4 Ghz. 

9APSdxe

Next, I did not move at all, and switched to the 5ghz:

6lVBcJ5

There is something glaringly wrong here.  The 2.4 should not be that slow.  When I run a wifi analyzer I see that there are 3 signals on my 2.4 channel, the Router, my satellite, and the backhaul, which I have no idea why that is running when I have my satellite on a wired connection.  This is all on the latest firmware for the device, 2.2.1.210 with a RBR50 and RBS50. 

Message 262 of 835
sbkeisel
Aspirant

The satalite pages are showing two bands, but the SSID on both is coming up the same in the GUI. When I do the 'get SSID' command on telnet, I am showing a different SSID for the two bands. I just can't find out why it isn't brodcasting the two different bands that the software is showing

image.png

image.png

Message 263 of 835
ScottGwy
Aspirant

I tried this, was able fo change the wla_ssid (was blank).  Then I tried to use the wla_ssid on my iphone, it looks like the wla_ssid is not being broadcast, I could not connect to it ?  And only the wl_ssid was sowing in the GUI

Message 264 of 835
ScottGwy
Aspirant

Router = RBR20, firmware = 2.2.1.210

Satelite = RBW30, firmware = 2.2.1.204_1.0.5

When I telnet into Satellite and execute 'config get wl_ssid(or wla_ssid)', it returns an error !  So how am I supposed update the Satellite ??  SYNC on router maybe ??

Message 265 of 835
ScottGwy
Aspirant

I get the below when I try to find the value of wl_ssid on RBW30 satellite

root@RBW30:/# config get wl_ssid
/bin/ash: config: not found

Message 266 of 835
jangno
Aspirant

This worked perfectly for my needs. I purchased a smart outdoor timer / outlet for my christmas lights. The device only supports 2.4GHz for setup. I was unable to get it to work with the default config because my phone was connected at 5GHz. Perhaps if I had a 2.4GHz device to use during the setup process, that would have been an option. But rather than struggle, I performed this procedure and was able to connect the device. Thank you for your help!!

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 267 of 835
Crazy-Bubble
Guide

I have also been unable to get a different SSID for 5Ghz going. I've been pouring through the config options & found some potential candidates which I changed to the 5Ghz SSID but nothing.

I have RBK23 which was purchased from Amazon on their Cyber Monday sale. The firmware version is V2.2.1.210.

Message 268 of 835
Alexthevoice
Aspirant

Rif.: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Sorry but i don't understand how can i return to ther original status, now i've 2 separated networks and i want to come back with only one....

Thanks

Message 269 of 835
cmgreenman
Apprentice

Just log into your router's main web page and set the SSID. Save and reboot and you'll be back to 1 network SSID.
Message 270 of 835
parmenion
Tutor

1stly, I'm glad peteytesting was banned or at least ignored as that ignoramus should not be playing with electronics.

While this "automagic switching between the 2 bands" feature sounds nice theoretically, it obviously does not work well in practice as both Google Wifi and Orbi users on their respective forums have a myriad of posts on drops that were fixed by separating SSID's in Orbi's case.

If Netgear reads this, please consider updating the firmware to support separate SSID's on the GUI.  We appreciate the attempt at innovation to have auto-switching or band steering or whatever it's called but it's simply still a beta feature that shouldn't be the default mode, let alone the only mode.

=============================

Also, any comments on the screenshot above of stunted speeds on 2.4ghz?  Was it a defective unit?  Massive interference?

2.4ghz should be gradually deprecated and only enabled manually in increasingly niche situations in which there are no other wireless devices in a large area.

Message 271 of 835
Schmak01
Apprentice

The bad 2.4 GHz screenshot post was from me. It’s not fixed and i don’t think it’s a bad unit, I think it has something to do with the backhaul signal, even though I am wired.

I can see there are unlabeled signals at the same strength and channel as my 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz

I am not overly worried since I have them separated, but I do have some smart devices that only use 2.4, so I have to have it. Anything that needs more than a few kbps though can connect to the 5 GHz.

I really should set up the guest network for it, but that will be a big PITA to reprogram all our plugs and lightbulbs. I’ll wait until I move to something like the Phillips or Samsung hubs.

That 2.4 GHz though should be 72 Mbps, as that is close to the max for that signal IIRC, not the absurd slowness I get on it.
Message 272 of 835
parmenion
Tutor

" backhaul signal, even though I am wired. "

What do you mean?  If you are using wired backhaul, why is there still a backhaul signal?
And isn't wireless backhaul on 5Ghz?

Message 273 of 835
Schmak01
Apprentice

I’ll see if I can get a screenshot later of what I see on my WiFi analyzer, but it doesn’t seem like Orbi cares if your satellites are wired, the backhaul signal is still there and it is there on both bands.
Message 274 of 835
Schmak01
Apprentice

@parmenion wrote:

" backhaul signal, even though I am wired. "

What do you mean?  If you are using wired backhaul, why is there still a backhaul signal?
And isn't wireless backhaul on 5Ghz?

I typed up a huge post with screenshots showing that the Orbi was emitting a hidden SSID on the same channel as my 2.4 network, and also the 5.0 Ghz backhaul even though I was wired.

They deleted it...

Not sure why, as I didn't get a notice.  If this allows IM notification or PM hit me up and I can show you the proof. 

Message 275 of 835
Top Contributors
Announcements