Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

@soundersfc wrote:

That is such a horrible response.  

With pleasure, thank you. Well, because you don't like facts?

@soundersfc wrote:

You are basically telling people they should go yell at Amazon/Ring, Google/Nest, Wink, Samsung, Domo, Vizio, etc. etc.... and unlimited set of companies... 

You want to tell me that all these vendors/brands require - by an app enforcing the requirement that a mobile must be connected to the 2.4 GHz network to discover and configure? 

HP Envy printers, Google Chromecast, Arlo Q, Samsung washers and dryers, Honeywell Home Security Camera (C1, C2) .... and many more IoT can perfectly discovered and set-up under varying conditions and a single network name either using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz connecting into the same L2/L3 network, being on Orbi, on Orbi Pro, on Insight WAC, ....  

Let's check for example ... nest.com -> Support. I can't find any indication e.g. with Nest (any product) that a mobile must connect to the 2.4 GHz network to discover and configure it. A requirement for dedicated network name for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks? No, there is just an example with two names. How to use Nest products with 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks. There is no word, not even the slightest hint of such a requirement! Of course, 2.4 GHz devices can only "see" and associate to 2.4 GHz. 5 GHz devices can only "see" and associate 5 GHz networks. That is what they say. As well, I can't find many current Netgear devices (including Orbi and Orbi Pro) listed Wi-Fi routers that are incompatible with Nest products. So it can't be as bad as you draw the picture.

Your list of vendors/brands you put up as an argument for Netgear changing the (brilliant) Orbi specs with the single network name for is clearly wrong. q.e.d.

Every vendor telling us in an App that a mobile must be connected to either the 2.4 GHz to discover and configure a 2.4 GHz devices (or to the 5 GHz radio to discover 5 GHz devices) can be sent to Tasmania, one way. Very unpolite and clear. And I know there are some smart plugs/smart power outlets for example facing this problem.

Look, I'm more than happy to argue with the Netgear management on specifications and real problems. Even if my ideas or ideas I pick up as an ambassador from the community are not always in line with Netgear's plans and intentions. 

Message 301 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

My responses above had nothing to do with the 2.4 v.s. 5G on same lan, that was someone else's issue so no need to get mad at me. The more common issue (if you've been reading) is that many devices don't stear correctly to 5G for faster speed, even when close to the Router, and other devices that are 2.4 only not connecting properly or having issues connecting or staying reliable.  The people on this thread are suggesting that the work around that fixes this problem for many people, should be considered to be supported and/or a part of advanced settings.

You can try and argue all day about theoretical perfection, all vendors following the standards perfectly, etc. But in the face of the facts that changing the SSID label for the 5G (or 2.4) radio solved these problems from your user base is undenable.

How about spending your effort in explaining why that is a horrible idea and what one can do to fix the issue, provide logs for the issues to be debugged, etc.

I can understand you may be incentivized to defend, but we are asking for HELP, not for you or anyone else to be defensive. We all want to see Netgear and Orbi succeed in a very competitive Mesh market.

Message 302 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

Happy New Year to all.. My issue with Orbi is that of signal strength. Before splitting SSIDs, my 5ghz devices would connect to the 2.4 ghz network because it would detect the 2.4 ghz SSID signal sooner. Once connected to the 2.4 ghz network it wouldn't switch to the 5ghz network (as it should if band steering really worked) until the signal strength of the 2.4 ghz network deminished. By separating into 2 bands, I now "have the control" to set up my network as I see fit, I place high-bandwidth (e.g. video streaming, audio  streaming devices) on 5ghz and home automation, etc at 2.4. I understand NG is targeting to the non-technical consumer but hope NG realizes there is a group of technical people out here who like more control of their networks. I can get everything to work with a single SSID, but I can't realize the full potential/performace (I desire) without separate SSDIs. 

Message 303 of 674
Highlighted

This is exaxtly my issue and the reason I split my SSIDs. My 5ghz phones, laptops, TVs etc were all connecting to 2.4 only. The ONLY 5ghz device listed in "Connected Devices" tab was the satellite. As a result my throughput was HORRIBLE. Constant buffering, slow browsing, timeouts, etc.

Trust me, I like the idea of having 1 SSID. If it worked. I should also note that this was an issue with my AT&T supplied dual band fiber router. Everything went to 2.4. At least that one lets me change the 5ghz option in the web GUI.

I have a question for those fighting tooth and nail to force everyone to use a single SSID. What exactly is wrong with letting the customer manage their Network how they see fit? I bought an Orbi system EXPLICITLY because the research I had done suggested it allowed more in-depth controls than other options. I had extremely high hopes for the band steering but in practice it didn't work AT ALL.

Thankfully the telnet option was there or I would have returned my Orbi long ago.
Message 304 of 674
Highlighted
Luminary

I am having and RBK43 with one router and one satellite. This setup is working in AP mode. I have tried to separate the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz wlans as has been described on this thread. Currently, both my main AP and satellite are showing these values:

root@RBS40:/# config get wl_ssid
XtremeWLL
root@RBS40:/# config get wla_ssid
XtremeWLL 5GHz

root@RBR40:/# config get wl_ssid
XtremeWLL
root@RBR40:/# config get wla_ssid
XtremeWLL 5GHz

However, rebooting both units doesn't seem to have the APs creating different wlans, as there's still only XtremeWLL available and that still operates in both modes.

The fw in both APs is current: 2.2.1.210

Is there anything else I can try?

Thx,

budy

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 305 of 674
Highlighted
Luminary

So… I finally managed to separate my WLANs on my RBR/RBS40. However, the procedure described at the start of this thread either isn't applicable anymore or the OP simply misunderstood, how the Orbi OS seems to set the WLAN SSIDs. No offense meant!

So the thing is… you simply can't set the WLA_SSID, or it doesn't do you any good to do so by entering config set wla_ssid="xxx". To me it seems, that the WLA_SSID only gets set from the WebUI, when you enter a Wifi name. You can however set the WL_SSID using the telnet access.

This means that for me these steps solved this problem in my RBR40/RBS/40:

1. Rename your Orbi Wifi in the WebUI to the name you want the 5GHz WLAN to have
  2. Reboot
  3. Activate telnet and login to the RBR/RBS and just set the wl_ssid as described
  4. Run config commit/reboot on all RBR/RBS

Obviously, the wla_ssid isn't connected to anything internally anymore. That's also the reason, why it has been empty the first time, I tried to set this up.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 306 of 674
Highlighted

Must be an issues with the RBK40 or it's a recent change. I was able to perform the steps in the OP less than a month ago on my RBK50. I enabled telnet, set wla_ssid, committed the change and rebooted. Then performed the see steps on the satellite. Everything worked as expected.
Message 307 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

Hello. I've been attempting to perform this action on my RBR20 to no avail. No 5GHz SSID appears in my available networks when i split the two channels. I see you mentioned performing the same action on the satellite(s)? How does one split the channels for the satellites?

Thank you all for your continued support.

Message 308 of 674
Highlighted

Exact same thing but use the ip of your satellite instead of your router. You can find your satellite IP address in the Connected Devices section.
Message 309 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

I just bought a brand new RBK50 and setup it up. Tried to split the channel. I tried to enable Telnet in the debug menu but alas it’s completely grayed out and can’t select the telnet button. Every thing else is selectable. Has this option been removed from brand new devices? Firmware is up to date and tried reboot/reset
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 310 of 674
Highlighted

Here is a feature request for splitting SSIDs that someone created. Maybe folks following this thread would like to give it a thumbs up.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/ORBI/idi-p/1673882
Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 311 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

Hello. Thank you for your response. I am unable to log into the XXXX/debug.htm UI for my sattelite to enable telnet. If that is not a required step specifically for the sattelite (already enabled for my router), I am still unable to access the telnet command prompt using my sattelite's IP address. I am somewhat inexperienced with all of this networking customization, but i've followed every step to a T and have had zero results. My 2.4GHz simply splits off onto its own and no visible 5GHz channel is available. Alternatively, if i change the 5GHz name, no SSID appears at all. To top it off, I changed my 2.4GHz SSID (the only channel now visibly available in my networks) and i am seeing our FireTv is still connected via 5GHz, though everything else in my house has lost connection entirely (since i changed the SSID). Why must this be so difficult. Please someone help me out here. What am i doing wrong. P.S. I am using Orbi model RBR20. Thank you!

Message 312 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

Furthermore, none of the "set wl/wla_ssid" commands work for the satellite's telnet command prompt (/bin/ash: config: not found). Ahhh.

Message 313 of 674
Highlighted
Luminary

It may well be, that the RBR20 is a stripped down hardware or even one that is entirely different from the higher models. Usually vendors like Netgear don't really engineer these SoCs themselves, but grab something from Qualcom or Bradcom and design the auxillary system around it.

If you do have telnet access to your satellite, you could hit the tab-key twice to see, what commands come up to "choose" from. This list will have all the ready-to-run commands for the satellite, you're connected to. Try that and see, what comes up in that list.

Message 314 of 674
Aspirant

Hi everyone. Ive just purchased the Orbi rbk23 and i to am having issues with certain devices. I have the Ring door bell pro which connects to Orbi but on the 5ghz band which is not working well for it. Plus the Ring chime is unable to detect the network. Ive tried the steps in this thread to seperate the SSID's but it's not working? I'm using the latest firmware which is V.2.2.1.210. Is this method no longer working. Would love some help on this please.

Thanks.

Message 315 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hello all,

I tried these steps and validated i now have both saperate SSID using TELNET.

But I dont see this SSID in my network list to connect. 

Am i missing anything?

Message 316 of 674
Highlighted
Luminary

@drakesreddy wrote:

Hello all,

I tried these steps and validated i now have both saperate SSID using TELNET.

But I dont see this SSID in my network list to connect. 

Am i missing anything?

If you don't see the new SSID on your network, then the changes haven't been applied by the Orbi OS. Which model do you have?

Message 317 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

My model is RBK30.
I did look up using the telnet command and I see both SSID.
One odd thing happens is after I reboot the router ENABLE TELNET Chek was disabled by default.
Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 318 of 674
Highlighted
Luminary

Telnet is always disabled after a reboot, that's normal behaviour on the Orbis. Have you tried the way I described, to get the WLANs seperated? As I stated, changeing the wl_ssid and wla_ssid didn't do anything for me, since on my RBK40, the wla_ssid has no effect whatsoever on the config. Only changeing the wl_ssid for the 2.4 GHz WLAN worked for me. So I changed the WLAN name to what the 5GHz WLAN should be in the WebUI and performed a reset. Afterwards, I set the 2.4GHz WLAN by changeing wl_ssid via the terminal followed by an additional reset.

Message 319 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Although I was able to change all the names for wl_ssid, wla_ssid, and wla_2nd_ssid, commit them, and confirm they were changed, the only wifi available after reboot is the wl_ssid - the others appear like they are just not broadcast. Changing the name of wla_ssid as per instructions does nothing (5GHz still goes via the old name, advanced does not show two networks even though telnet will confirm I changed the wla_ssid name), and changing wla_2nd_ssid will revert to wla_ssid name after reboot. I am using V2.2.1.210. I feel I tried everything and can't get the SSID for 5GHz to be showing as a separate wifi network.

Message 320 of 674
Highlighted
Luminary

What Orbi model is that?

Message 321 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry, thought it was in my signature: RBR20. I have read through all 300 posts and saw that I may have missed separating the satellites by their IP address. That could explain why I couldn't see the wla network by separating ssids from the router only... It's a long process without a simple option from Netgear, but I may eventually try again.
Message 322 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks OP.  I got this working on RBK53 with V2.2.1.210.  Both the basic and advanced GUI doesn't indicate the 2 SSIDs like you had posted but the SSIDs are broadcast separately now.  I had to move my devices off 2.4ghz since my ISP's speed is 5x better on 5ghz.  Devices kept moving to 2.4ghz at ends of the house and the 2.4ghz speed was unbearable. Going to test and hope that 5ghz will be better.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 323 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

bighead323...can you please mention whose instructions you followed to seperate the ssid?

I was able to seperate the ssid but when I updated the firmware it reverted to 2.4GHZ SSID and I can't see the other one now

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 324 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi man95,

I just followed the 5 steps in the first post. The separate SSIDs show up via the telnet commands and when looking for them. Just won't show up in the GUI. It might be possible that you have to perform the steps again since firmware update may reset the settings.
Message 325 of 674