Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I haven’t bougt my Ori yet planning to get the 300 when I know how to do this.  You instructions are for naming one 5 GHz band but I need to rename all three bands.  I currently have a Netgear Trib and router with separate names for each band with a lot of equipment paired with each band and don’t want to repair each one.  From past route upgrades by using the same SSID’s and passwords the equipment will connect as before.

Message 376 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

All 3 bands? Is there a new band I'm not aware of?

Message 377 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Theres only two user bands available. The 3rd is for only wireless backhaul for RBS's. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 378 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Im still having trouble doing this....any ideas??
Message 379 of 685
Highlighted
Initiate

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck with the RBR20 either. Tried a few different ways and it doesn't save the updates properly.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 380 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thinking of downgrading the firmware and giving it a shot....any thoughts?
Message 381 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is the actual model, it was not available - AC2200 (RBK23)

I have a wifi bulb that will only connect to 2.4 ghz.  It does not recognize that the one network has both and does not work.  I tried separating the 2 using the telnet debug, but after I reboot, it just merges them back to one.  I cannot connect the bulb.  Others seam to be able to separate them and have no issue, can you please help?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 382 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

It's not the IoT device thats the problem, it's it's setup software for your setup device that when your mobile setup device is connected to the 5Ghz radio, the software isn't recognizing that the 5Ghz radio is also on the same network as the 2.4Ghz radio. 

Try this, uncheck the box next to "Enabled the 5Ghz SSID broadcast". Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings on the RBR. Save and reboot. Disable the wifi radio on your mobile device for 5 seconds then turn back on. It should reconnect to the RBRs SSID however it whould be on 2.4Ghz now. 

@cames63 wrote:

This is the actual model, it was not available - AC2200 (RBK23)

I have a wifi bulb that will only connect to 2.4 ghz.  It does not recognize that the one network has both and does not work.  I tried separating the 2 using the telnet debug, but after I reboot, it just merges them back to one.  I cannot connect the bulb.  Others seam to be able to separate them and have no issue, can you please help?

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 383 of 685
Highlighted

Try disabling the 5Ghz said broadcast when connecting your bulb. I've read where that works for some people. I recently reverted my RBK50 + RBS20 system back to a single SSID and it's working better than when I separated them. All of my 5ghz devices are now being properly steered to the correct band and things are working as they should for now.
Message 384 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Betreff: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I have a problem that when I assign a seperate 5G SSID, the satellite is have connecting problem with router, like seconds on then seconds off. The conection is very unstable. And when I change back the SSID, the problem disappears. Does anyone has this problem? I bought Orbi two days ago and just upgrade to the new FW.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 385 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Another issue is that when I connect to seperated 5G SSID, it always connect to router not to sat.

Message 386 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

I found that I wasn't able to add another satellite until I reverted this hack.

Message 387 of 685
Highlighted
Tutor

This solution worked great for me but with the latest firmware on the RBR50 I can't see the seperate networks in the GUI...

Message 388 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

@BANsOnLn wrote:

This solution worked great for me but with the latest firmware on the RBR50 I can't see the seperate networks in the GUI...

Because it's neither a "solution" nor part of the Orbi design, Netgear does not promote, develop, or support anything like this...

Message 389 of 685
Highlighted
Tutor

it is too bad they don't support it. I was having issues where most of my 5G devices were still connecting to 2.4G. If there was only a way to force the 5G devices to connect to 5G that would be greatt. Without doing this, my wifi cameras don't work at all or barely work. Almost all my Rokus, xboxes and iphones were connecting to 2.4G for no reason. This was the only way I could force them to connect to 5G.

Message 390 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@BANsOnLn wrote:

Because it's neither a "solution" nor part of the Orbi design, Netgear does not promote, develop, or support anything like this...

Netgear needs to address this then. People obviously need a solution because their devices are not connecting at 5GHz and taking advantage of the bandwidth they paid for. Since there is nothing that lets you provide a hint to the Orbi software on a per device basis, people will continue using this hack.

Message 391 of 685
Highlighted
Tutor

I completely agree. Ever since I did that my devices have worked flawlessly. 

Message 392 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes I had the same problem. Had to revert back to one ssid. Bummer.
Message 393 of 685
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@yoekexp wrote:

I have a problem that when I assign a seperate 5G SSID, the satellite is have connecting problem with router, like seconds on then seconds off. The conection is very unstable. And when I change back the SSID, the problem disappears. Does anyone has this problem? I bought Orbi two days ago and just upgrade to the new FW.

Well, you're not alone with this problem.  Check out this post, then decide if you still want to stick with separate SSIDs.

Message 394 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

This hack no longer works with the current firmware. It will force both SSID to same names after a few minutes and reboots the router.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 395 of 685
Highlighted
Tutor

I can also verify this. Reverts back in a few mins. I rolled my firmware back and will be unloading these piece of garbage orbis that lack this most basic of features for some Unifi equipment. What a bunch of dbags. Instead of giving us what we want they completely removed our ability to at least modify to force us into what they want. Never would have bought these had I know that nor will I ever recommend this paper weights to another person especially now.
Message 396 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

They are good routers but of the most basic of all settings they want to force on us when the majority of wireless routers allow the separate names for each bandwidth.

It's truely sad to say the least. I had to pull out a crapy wireless router just to get a separate 2.4 channel since I have some devices that do not like the common channel and will not connect.

I hope Netgear is listening.......but I doubt it and if they are they don't care.

Message 397 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is really unfortunate. Some of my important devices do not connect at 5Ghz without the hack.

Message 398 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

I doubt they care. If they had this would be a option.

I'm getting a different wireless router and tossing netgear into the trash where it belongs.
Message 399 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

There must be some way for me to tell the device to connect with 5Ghz only? Or a way to tell windows?

Message 400 of 685