Apprentice

Betreff: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

No
Message 401 of 835
schumaku
Guru

@mcbainpc wrote:

There must be some way for me to tell the device to connect with 5Ghz only?

Well, this is an old misconception of many wireless devices/drivers. Indeed, there should be configure the wireless interface either to one band only. In reality, this does not exist on a wide base - many wireless drivers offer such "features" e.g. for the almost obsolete ad-hoc wireless modes only. Modern OS like Windows or macOS do detect the network the computer is connected to, so they can always apply the same security settings (firewall, active services) - this does not make a difference on which band (or even a LAN interface) the computer is connected to.

@mcbainpc wrote:

Or a way to tell windows?

Some WiFi device makers and driver writers are offering the ability to adjust the Preferred Band from Automatic (some kind of "balanced" mode) to 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 60 GHz. Example Intel: Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings. This can massively help to keep the connection to the 5 GHz band up much longer before it does roam to the 2.4 GHz.

The problem often seen on consumer home networks? Even with Orbi, multiple wireless extenders, or multiple APs in the on the claim, the 5 GHz signal is often worse than the 2.4 GHz - what makes the average wireless client roaming much earlier than what the consumer prefers.or does think would be better. What's typically perfectly fine for say a mobile phone or tablet where keeping a reliable connectivity is key, can be fatal for a media player/STB/game stations FullHD units or 4k video stream - by Murphy's Law, exactly these devices lack of good wireless radios, excellent drivers and flexible controls. Under very few conditions, even a weak 5 GHz can bring better results. And this is where the Intel WiFi driver Peferred Band control and enhanced logic does jump in. 

Intel Wireless -Preferred Band.PNG

Message 402 of 835
Solarbuddy
Tutor

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

So Netgear failed to give us what we want (separate SSID's, or the ability to turn off 5gz radio), and users come up with a workaround, and Netgear takes the workaround away, and it's the USERS fault because we don't appreciate Netgear's amazing "design?"  

Forgive me if I misunderstand you, or are reading into your tone, but having been on this thread for years I've seen *nothing* helpful come from Netgear to solve the problem of attaching poorly-designed IOT devices *or* use other devices (such as Apple, which doesn't allow the user to specify connection to 2.4 or 5.0 ghz bands--same mindset at Netgear, no doubt) that users may have.  I'm an experienced user--I wire-wrapped an 8080 S100 system back in the day and have kept current to now.  

Between Netgear's (and Apple's) bloody-mindedness and IOT-makers stupidity I'm going nuts . . . .  Sorry for the rant!

Message 403 of 835
Solarbuddy
Tutor

What would be your first choice?  I'm doing the same thing.

Message 404 of 835
FURRYe38
Guru

NG has made some allowances for users with 2.4Ghz only IoT devices. Disable the 5G SSID Broadcast under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings buy de-selecting the check box. Apply. This disables the 5G ssid long enough for both IoT and setup mobile device to be connected to the 2.4Ghz SSID at the same time to get it setup. After setup, then re-enable the 5G SSID broadcast. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.17.12
RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 405 of 835
schumaku
Guru

@Solarbuddy wrote:

So Netgear failed to give us what we want ... Forgive me if I misunderstand you, ...

Guess @Solarbuddy does refer to my post. Please understand that I'm not a Netgear employee nor participating in the community on behalf of Netgear.

Message 406 of 835
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/v2-5-0-38-undoes-SSD-split-is-there-a-fix/m-p/1816546/highligh...

@Solarbuddy wrote:

So Netgear failed to give us what we want (separate SSID's, or the ability to turn off 5gz radio), and users come up with a workaround, and Netgear takes the workaround away, and it's the USERS fault because we don't appreciate Netgear's amazing "design?"  

Forgive me if I misunderstand you, or are reading into your tone, but having been on this thread for years I've seen *nothing* helpful come from Netgear to solve the problem of attaching poorly-designed IOT devices *or* use other devices (such as Apple, which doesn't allow the user to specify connection to 2.4 or 5.0 ghz bands--same mindset at Netgear, no doubt) that users may have.  I'm an experienced user--I wire-wrapped an 8080 S100 system back in the day and have kept current to now.  

Between Netgear's (and Apple's) bloody-mindedness and IOT-makers stupidity I'm going nuts . . . .  Sorry for the rant!

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 407 of 835
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 I'm not convinced this temporary how-to-discovery-a-silly-IoT-with-a-rubbish-utility is what @Solarbuddy (and some other community members) are behind. They want to lock certain wireless clients to the 5 GHz despite the device itself does discover that the 2.4 GHz would be more appropriate, expecting a more reliable FullHD or 4K streaming over 5 GHz for example, and ensuring these clients don't revert to the 2.4 GHz (which does lack of bandwidth, and has potential interferences, ..).

Message 408 of 835
FURRYe38
Guru

@schumaku I get that and understand that too. Also users need to understand that it's Smart Connect AND the devices themselves are at play here. When Smart Connect it enable on any router, it works to get the devices connect to either frequency based on what the devices support. On the Client HW side, they ultimatly make the determination on what signal to connect to, based on signal quality and noise. So part of this is up to the device, not entirely the WiFi router. Even if SC wasn't enabled, the device may still prefer connecting to a 2.4Ghz signal over a 5Ghz signal though it can be forced to on those routers where SC can be disabled. 

One other thing that users can do to help there devices connect to 5G over 2.4Ghz, try turning down the power out put on the RBR from 100% to 50% and see if there wifi devices will connect differently.

One thing I noticed last night as I was testing this out with my iPhone. After disbling the 5G SSID broadcast, then connecting the iphone to the 2.4Ghz SSID, the iPhone seem to take several seconds longer to complete the connection, 15-20sec approx. With the 5G SSID broadcast, the iPhone never take more than a couple of seconds to complete and it's off and running. So even though the 5G was disable and there was a good signal to the 2.4G SSID, the phone took a longer time to connect as I presumed it was wanting a 5G connection over a 2.4G connection though it supports both. There is some handshaking processes going on during this stage. However the phone eventually connected. 

The Orbi system overall is meant to be mostly hands free simplified setup, hassle free and ease of use for the average home user. Set and forget it kind of design. I most cases this works. However we do have some that have a need for more granual or advanced controls  for there wifi devices or these IoT Mfrs with limited understanding of Smart Connect and there implementations for there products that don't seem to want to make there products be more compatible during the setup process. The devices work, thanks to NG giving some work around solution to this. The Orbi's work as intended. I think for those that need more granular controls, they may want to look at other Mfrs MESH systems for these kinds of controls. Orbi is what is is and NG doesn't seem willing to deviate from there intended course in support and design. Orbi AX is the same boat. 

Message 409 of 835
Eric_Bos
Aspirant

The possibility to split SSID's with telnet is still available but with firmware V2.5.0.38 it sets the SSID of 5G and 2,4G back to the same SSID after a reboot.

So now my $2.500 Macbook Pro has the slowest internet connection you can imagine and my $ 3.500 Samung TV can't even stream youtube anymore. Nice job Netgear!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 410 of 835
FURRYe38
Guru

My MPB pro 2018 and DISH Hopper and Joeys all stream fine for me with v38 loaded. Using single SSID name only. 

I get to spec speeds with the MBP, iPhone and Android pad. Why not use the intended single SSID name and see how it does for you. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Eric_Bos wrote:

The possibility to split SSID's with telnet is still available but with firmware V2.5.0.38 it sets the SSID of 5G and 2,4G back to the same SSID after a reboot.

So now my $2.500 Macbook Pro has the slowest internet connection you can imagine and my $ 3.500 Samung TV can't even stream youtube anymore. Nice job Netgear!

Message 411 of 835
BANsOnLn
Guide

Here is my issue. I have several Wifi cameras that require 2.4ghz and are spread out so I don’t want to turn down the signal strength. I also noticed that almost all my Roku’s and a couple Xbox’s connected to 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz when the SSID is the same. There was no way to force them to 5ghz. I am not sure how to solve this without using different SSID’s.
Message 412 of 835
Pfredd
Guide

So, it's not your laptop & TVs fault because you can't tell them to only connect at 5GHz?
Message 413 of 835
Eric_Bos
Aspirant

No, my Samsung TV prefers to select 2,4Ghz instead of 5Ghz. Both devices are in a range of maximum 3-4 meter away from the base station without obstacles in between and still they select 2,4Ghz over 5Ghz.

Message 414 of 835
Pfredd
Guide

If your TV prefers to select the 2.4GHZ band, it seems to me that it is at fault as much as Netgear.

Have you tried turning down the power of the, 2.4GHz radio, to see if your TV will then select the 5GHz channel?
Message 415 of 835
schumaku
Guru

@Eric_Bos wrote:

No, my Samsung TV prefers to select 2,4Ghz instead of 5Ghz. Both devices are in a range of maximum 3-4 meter away from the base station with

There can be two reasons:

A) The Sammy is not keen enough to use 5 GHz (same applies to some Apple devices).

B) The Orbi WiFi does something "destructive" to the clients connection attempts.

One point I'm keen to understand - is Fast Roaming enabled on your Orbi system? As per the fine manual:

Enable or disable fast roaming
Fast roaming allows your Orbi devices to direct your client devices to the most optimal
WiFi band quicker.

ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings: • To enable fast roaming, select the Enable Fast Roaming check box. 

Message 416 of 835
Eric_Bos
Aspirant

Yes, fast roaming is enabled

Message 417 of 835

@Eric_Bos wrote:

No, my Samsung TV prefers to select 2,4Ghz instead of 5Ghz.

Prefers? Or only works on?

My Samsung kit doesn't do 5 GHz. But it is a bit old. It is also stuck with 100 Mbps LAN.

I guess they reckon that that is fast enough for most TV streams.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 418 of 835
Eric_Bos
Aspirant

Prefers, it's a 2018 high end device.

Just tried the following...

Switch off SSID broadcast for 2,4 Ghz and did a full reset of the network settings of the TV.

Then reconnected the TV to the Orbi and it connected to 5Ghz instead of 2,4Ghz.

Maybe this is the work around for this issue.

That said, my 2018 Macbook Pro also randomly connects to 2,4Ghz and I have no way to make sure it stays on 5Ghz

Message 419 of 835
FURRYe38
Guru

My MBP2018 connects to 5Ghz. Never seen it connect to a 2.4Ghz, unless of course I disable the 5Ghz SSID broadcast. 

Message 420 of 835
Deihmos
Tutor

The reason I kept this router was because I found this method of seperating the bands. Now this no longer works and I am so mad. SOmetimes my devices connect as 2.4ghz and I cannot get them to switch. Why on earth did they disable this from users? This is ridiculous...

Message 421 of 835
Deihmos
Tutor

Downgrading the firmware doesn't even work because it just automatically updates it. This router is a big joke. I really wish I returned it when I had the chance.

Message 422 of 835
FURRYe38
Guru

Separation of the SSIDs is not supported in the first place. 

Why not use the system as its designed and intended to be used? It works generally for those you use the signal SSID. 

@Deihmos wrote:

The reason I kept this router was because I found this method of seperating the bands. Now this no longer works and I am so mad. SOmetimes my devices connect as 2.4ghz and I cannot get them to switch. Why on earth did they disable this from users? This is ridiculous...

Message 423 of 835
Deihmos
Tutor

This thread wouldn't be 17 pages long if it worked as it should. SOmetimes it connects to 2.4ghz network for no reason andthen my tv stutters. It was working fine for the past year with a seperate ssid. This is the first router I have ever owned that doesn't have that basic option. I plugged back in my asus router and will be looking for a replacement.

Message 424 of 835

@Deihmos wrote:

This is the first router I have ever owned that doesn't have that basic option.

You bought a router that was designed to have a single SSID. It comes with the technology. Some might call it "progress". Anyone who insists on separate SSIDs should buy a device that offers that feature.

But I didn't chip in just to restate the bleeding obvious. When I had wifi problems with my "smart" TV I adopted a much better alternative. I bought into Powerline Ethernet. It uses the mains circuit as an Ethernet link.

Ethernet is easier to set up and less likely to fall over. You may have considered this option already, but many people haven't even heard of Powerline, so there is no harm in adding this suggestion from time to time. I haven't looked back since I took that route. I even use Powerline to connect an Orbi router in AP mode to my router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 425 of 835
Top Contributors
Announcements