× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

If you only new really how much. Hehe. Smiley Very Happy

@michaelkenward wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

I doubt that Honeywell was so silly to use this kind of technology

Hewlett Packard has demonstrated its ability to do silly things many times over.

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 451 of 633
Highlighted

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

Hewlett Packard has demonstrated its ability to do silly things many times over.

I have some past insights into HP's incompetence. It used to hire bright R&D people that I could write about. Sadly, its business practices didn't reach the same standard.

Even now, HP's printer interface is so bad that it makes Canon look reasonably competent, which takes some doing.

So if HP's IoT interface is equally crummy, I would not be at all surprised. Then again, which bit of HP are we talking about these days. It seems to have fallen apart. Does the IoT kit come from the same people who made that whizzo decision to buy Autonomy?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 452 of 633
Highlighted

There are as many problems as there are people in this world, perhaps more.

@schumaku

It appears to be very difficult to help people here.

I don't know why the Honeywell designed the app to be on 2.4Ghz network to configure it or why didn't they build the configuration wizard right on the damn thermostat itself when it has a large LCD glaring at me. I am no longer seeking help for it anymore. If it helps you, the model is T5.

Try to understand the reason behind the why we ask for some flexibility. Not all problems are solved through automation, at times one needs to roll up their sleeves and go under the hood. This is not uncommon in the real world.

Message 453 of 633
Highlighted
Guru

Ah yes, you echo what I see Sir. You are pretty correct in your evaluation. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

I have some past insights into HP's incompetence. It used to hire bright R&D people that I could write about. Sadly, its business practices didn't reach the same standard.

Even now, HP's printer interface is so bad that it makes Canon look reasonably competent, which takes some doing.

So if HP's IoT interface is equally crummy, I would not be at all surprised. Then again, which bit of HP are we talking about these days. It seems to have fallen apart. Does the IoT kit come from the same people who made that whizzo decision to buy Autonomy?

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CM1100>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16 and Orbi RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK852, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 454 of 633
Highlighted
Guide

Has anyone who has expirenced the various connection issues that are being discussed here tried to contact the various vendors of the products?

Have you opened support cases with Netgear, Samsung, Microsoft, etc? If so, why was their response?

Just because this is a Netgear sponsored form doesn't mean that Netgear support and development personnel read it....
Message 455 of 633
Highlighted
Guru

@Crazy-Bubble wrote:

I don't know why the Honeywell designed the app to be on 2.4Ghz network to configure it ... If it helps you, the model is T5.

Because they use a cheap [and therefore popular] WiFi-SoC where the vendor (not Honeywell) only offers some "strange" non-industry and non-networking standard L2 discovery capability.

@Crazy-Bubble wrote:

Try to understand the reason behind the why we ask for some flexibility. Not all problems are solved through automation, at times one needs to roll up their sleeves and go under the hood. This is not uncommon in the real world.

Hey, I'm fully with you. However I have a strong belief in using single SSIDs in simple to enterprise grade WiFi. As this is only a discovery issue, Netgear offers two possible workarounds to discover and pair a 2.4 GHz-only IoT requiring the App to use 2.4 GHz, too:

• Lower the 5 GHz power and make some distance between the mobile phone with the discovery App and the wireless, so the mobile will connect to the 2.4 GHz (that was the original community solution - used by many).
  • The ability to temporary disable 5 GHz (don't know exactly if this is just do a "hide" [disable the beacon] or effectively shut down the 5 GHz radio.
Message 456 of 633
Highlighted

Hello,

is the telnet method still working with firmware 2.3.5.30? After setting wla_ssid using telnet both satellites show the magenta colored ring and can no longer connect to the router. :-( Sync buttons do not help.

Cheers,

SearchingSignal

Message 457 of 633
Highlighted

Telnet method does not work. It goes back to 1 SSID after a while.
Message 458 of 633
Highlighted
Apprentice

What's fustrating to me is that yes, this is probably on the IoT devices who have used cheap wifi components (and/or bad firmware) to reduce the price to us consumers, it is pervasive in most IoT devices. This isn'y an anomly, and there is a solution that works, having independent 2.4 and 5 SSIDs.  For example, when I use a single SSID, if I can manage to get a device to connect to it - which is challenging- it's bandwidth is abysmal. I'm getting 5-20 mbps at a maximum. If I separate out the SSIDs, I'm getting up to 100mbps on the 2.4 and over 400 on the 5.

So for those of us with IoT devics, our only option is to have sepatrate SSIDs, or to use the Guest Network for this as a complete work-around wich has other negative outcomes.

So a solution to the problem that exists today is here, what's frustrating is NetGear is ignoring it and actively trying to block it apparently, and for some reason part of the community here is playing the blame game and not sympathetic to the actual real-world challanges we have a the need to work around them, despite what vendor is actually at fault here.

It's sad. Lukcily I blocked this latest fireware update, but I can't live on outdated firmware that will evantually have security issues. So unless Netgear pulls a 180, time is ticking for how much longer I can be a Netgear customer after 20 years of loyalty Smiley Sad

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 459 of 633
Highlighted
Tutor

I downgraded the firmware but woke up today with the firmware updated. Is there now way to disable auto updates?

Message 460 of 633
Highlighted
Tutor

@soundersfc wrote:

What's fustrating to me is that yes, this is probably on the IoT devices who have used cheap wifi components (and/or bad firmware) to reduce the price to us consumers, it is pervasive in most IoT devices. This isn'y an anomly, and there is a solution that works, having independent 2.4 and 5 SSIDs.  For example, when I use a single SSID, if I can manage to get a device to connect to it - which is challenging- it's bandwidth is abysmal. I'm getting 5-20 mbps at a maximum. If I separate out the SSIDs, I'm getting up to 100mbps on the 2.4 and over 400 on the 5.

So for those of us with IoT devics, our only option is to have sepatrate SSIDs, or to use the Guest Network for this as a complete work-around wich has other negative outcomes.

So a solution to the problem that exists today is here, what's frustrating is NetGear is ignoring it and actively trying to block it apparently, and for some reason part of the community here is playing the blame game and not sympathetic to the actual real-world challanges we have a the need to work around them, despite what vendor is actually at fault here.

It's sad. Lukcily I blocked this latest fireware update, but I can't live on outdated firmware that will evantually have security issues. So unless Netgear pulls a 180, time is ticking for how much longer I can be a Netgear customer after 20 years of loyalty Smiley Sad

How did you block the update? I downgraded the firmware but it auto updated. 

Message 461 of 633
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Deihmos wrote:

I downgraded the firmware but woke up today with the firmware updated. Is there now way to disable auto updates?

Check this post on how to disable auto firmware upgrade.  Good Luck!

Message 462 of 633
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks man. I was reading this https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update and was wondering why i don't see a button. Makes me wonder how it ended up in the knowledge base in the first place. 

Message 463 of 633
Highlighted
Guru

NG doesn't support the disabling of FW udpates on Orbi systems. The applies to Orbi links maybe incorrect and mis-leading. 

@Deihmos wrote:

Thanks man. I was reading this https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update and was wondering why i don't see a button. Makes me wonder how it ended up in the knowledge base in the first place. 

Message 464 of 633
Highlighted

@soundersfc wrote:

Wrong, as you will find if you read through this tedious and over extended discussion.

It may be "your" only option, although I need convincing, but for many people, including me and many others who have reported back here, IoT works fine with a single SSID.

Sorry to bang on, but it is important to stick to facts and not to allow fake news to infiltrate this place. There is plenty of that elsewhere.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 465 of 633
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Deihmos wrote:

I was dig around the FW codes looking for hidden features a while back and found this.

Hopefully, NG doesn't take away this feature in future FW update. Smiley Happy

Message 466 of 633
Highlighted
Guru

What hidden feature are you referencing? 

@SW_ wrote:

@Deihmos wrote:

I was dig around the FW codes looking for hidden features a while back and found this.

Message 467 of 633
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

@Deihmos wrote:

The hidden feature to enable/disable auto firmware upate mentioned in NG's kb link above.

Message 468 of 633
Highlighted
Guru

Ah, ok. I sent a message to NG to see if they can comment on this KB. 

@SW_ wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

@Deihmos wrote:

The hidden feature to enable/disable auto firmware upate mentioned in NG's kb link above.

Message 469 of 633
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! I was not able to set up my Phillis Hue lights until I used this step by step tutorial, and created SSIDs for both the 2.4 and the 5 G network. Long story short your phone or the device that you use to connect / discover the Hue lights with MUST be on the 2.4 network that the lights are on, but Orbi unfortunately does not allow you to manually select 2.4 G network for devices it automatically chooses for you. I even tried to walk far away to see if it would switch my phone from 5 G  to 2.4 G network but it did not work. Called both Orbi support and Phillips Hue support - no help from either.  I was finally was able to connect my phone to the 2.4 G network by following the directions in your post.  After I was connected I had no trouble adding the lights to the Hue app because both my phone and the lights were thanks to you on 2.4 G network!  So helpful thank again for taking the time to write the tutorial. I am not super techy and was still able to follow it. This saved me $$$ and I did not have to go out and buy another router that would allow me to manually switch the device from 5 G to 2.4G!

Message 470 of 633
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ya, I have had nothing but issues with NG's One SSID implamentation that I have not seen with others.

No issues:
Computers

1 Cell phone

Issues

Roku Ultra

Steam Link

Philips Hue

Google Home

2 Cell Phones

1 Tablet

NG is daft to the extreme, I have also helped Apple users also having issues by doing this mod on their Orbi, ZERO issues after with router restarts or connectivity problems

Message 471 of 633
Highlighted
Guru

FYI, for users who are trying to get some 2.4Ghz supporting only devices setup on there Orbi's you don't have to separate the SSIDs. You can however disable the 5Ghz SSID from being seen temporarily by setup devices. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Take the check mark out of the Enable SSID (5G) box. This will hide 5Ghz SSID support for any 5Ghz supporting setup devices and force them to connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID frequency. This should allow the 2.4Ghz setup software on the mobile device to fully discover the 2.4ghz device and get it setup correctly on Orbi. Once completed, Check mark the Enable SSID (5G) box to put the Orbi back in normal operation. 

@AnnaKidder wrote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! I was not able to set up my Phillis Hue lights until I used this step by step tutorial, and created SSIDs for both the 2.4 and the 5 G network. Long story short your phone or the device that you use to connect / discover the Hue lights with MUST be on the 2.4 network that the lights are on, but Orbi unfortunately does not allow you to manually select 2.4 G network for devices it automatically chooses for you. I even tried to walk far away to see if it would switch my phone from 5 G  to 2.4 G network but it did not work. Called both Orbi support and Phillips Hue support - no help from either.  I was finally was able to connect my phone to the 2.4 G network by following the directions in your post.  After I was connected I had no trouble adding the lights to the Hue app because both my phone and the lights were thanks to you on 2.4 G network!  So helpful thank again for taking the time to write the tutorial. I am not super techy and was still able to follow it. This saved me $$$ and I did not have to go out and buy another router that would allow me to manually switch the device from 5 G to 2.4G!

Message 472 of 633
Apprentice

Great point Furry - however for me personally that was only a short-term solution, as any-time the Orbi lost power, or I had to reboot it due to slow speeds I would run into the same issue again.  That's not acceptable while I'm on vacation or a work trip where I need my devices and security sensors to be working.

Message 473 of 633
Highlighted
Guru

@soundersfc wrote:

... however for me personally that was only a short-term solution, as any-time the Orbi lost power, or I had to reboot it due to slow speeds I would run into the same issue again.  That's not acceptable while I'm on vacation or a work trip where I need my devices and security sensors to be working.

This does again not make any sense. The workaround is only for crappy IoT discovery tools requiring the mobile phone with the App and the IoT on the same 2.4 GHz band.

You say that a properly configured 2.4GHz-only-IoT do not re-establish the connection to the wireless access point (here the Orbi systems) if the AP temporary disappears? This must be IoC category then. As mentioned many times in this thread: A 2.4 GHz must connect to a 2.4 GHz AP - it does not care if there is a 5 GHz  on air with the same name, because it does not see it.

Message 474 of 633
Highlighted
Apprentice

@schumaku wrote:

This does again not make any sense.

That doesn't matter to me. Your theory literarily means zero to my Ring Camera's, my TV, and IoT devices. The one-time setup recommended here does not survive a power or router outage. Sorry.

Message 475 of 633