Reply
Highlighted
Star

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@resqui wrote:

Thanks @dwood !   Your input has been extremely helpful.  As a tech novice, I've struggled to get my RBR50 to stop dropping my wifi connections during work hours.  I hear these terms being thrown out like mesh and dynamic that apparently are meant to describe how the router and satelite do some type of workload balance of the devices using the wifi.  Unfortunately for me, nobody cares (but they do complain) when my work softphone and work Skype sessisions temporarely drop while the router/satelite rebalance or reset unexpectedly.  Whatever its called it creates a disruption for my work.   I've applied the steps that you reshared; and currently crossing my fingures that they stick/work.  Unfortunately the supplier I purchased the RBR50 from had a 15 day return policy and I'm about a 1.5 months into this ~$400 purchase.   

 

Lastly, after applying the instructions you provided, once completed, should I disable the Telnet which was required during the initial debug step? 

 

Thanks again and keep posting, everyones ideas are invaluable.      


If i recall correctly telnet defaults to disabled after reboot.

Forgive me for not testing as it will take down my own mesh network! Very pleased I could be of help!

Theres quite a bit of misinformation on here, along with some really unhelpful people who do nothing but question why you need to change or modify the settings!

 

Hope its now all working and you are now enjoying the separate SSID's.

Message 551 of 685
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Updated latest firmware to  2.5.1.8

and now this trick to separate out 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID doesn't work anymore.  Somehow  it reverted to only 1 SSID by itself after   half hour or so...

 

Anyone else having the same problem?

 

I had this separate SSID perviously for more than a year.

 

Netgear, if anyone is ready, please add feature request to  let users have seprate SSIDs

Message 552 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Try voxels FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

 

You can request this from NG here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

May find a post or two already.

 

NG doesn't seem to want to give users this functionality. They have only implemented disabling of either radio SSID broadcast so users can get there 2.4Ghz only supporting devices connected. Which seem to now work for those users keeping with the single SSID name. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-20-cannot-connect-Swann-Camera/m-p/1822475/highlight/true...

 

NG hasn't given separation features to Orbi AX either so I presume NG isn't budging on this one. If you need separation of SSIDs try Voxels. 

 


@kelf wrote:

Updated latest firmware to  2.5.1.8

and now this trick to separate out 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID doesn't work anymore.  Somehow  it reverted to only 1 SSID by itself after   half hour or so...

 

Anyone else having the same problem?

 

I had this separate SSID perviously for more than a year.

 

Netgear, if anyone is ready, please add feature request to  let users have seprate SSIDs


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 553 of 685
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@kelf wrote:

Updated latest firmware to  2.5.1.8

and now this trick to separate out 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID doesn't work anymore.  Somehow  it reverted to only 1 SSID by itself after   half hour or so...

 

Why do you want separate SSIDs?

 

That's a serious question.

 

Think about what you are trying to fix rather than what you think the answer should be.

 

I have seen good reason posted here for wanting separation. But mostly it is not needed.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 554 of 685
Highlighted
Star

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@kelf wrote:

Updated latest firmware to  2.5.1.8

and now this trick to separate out 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID doesn't work anymore.  Somehow  it reverted to only 1 SSID by itself after   half hour or so...

 

Anyone else having the same problem?

 

I had this separate SSID perviously for more than a year.

 

Netgear, if anyone is ready, please add feature request to  let users have seprate SSIDs


You can still have it separated if you run one extra command on the router and satellites BEFORE the other commands

 

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

config commit


(If you ever need to reverse this setting use the command > config set wifison-monitor_stop=0)

 

I have posted the solution here (including a complete set of updated instructions) so many times in the last few weeks yet folks seem to keep missing it. It's getting quite frustrating as all that is needed is to search back a page or two at most to find a solution to the problem on the latest firmware.

 

I run separate SSID's on the latest firmware without issue, and have done for months with the extra command above.

 

 

Message 555 of 685
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Thank you very much dwood, I should have  read   the earlier  posts!   I  wish OP  can   update the original post with this info 


Thanks again

 

Message 556 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Users can try Voxels FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 557 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Have the RBX50 router plus 1 satellite.  Have done the telnet drill with success.  I see my two separated SSIDs.  But now, when I go to the router admin page, and go to check firmware, it confirms router firmware up to date: V2.5.1.16, but cannot connect with the satellite(same firmware version for sat).  When I switch back to singular SSID, it can see satellite.  Something I'm doing wrong? 

 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 558 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I may have just answered my own question.  I didn't see a post that says I need to do the Telnet thing with each- the router AND sattelite.   Thanks everyone on this VERY long thread!  I just needed to read more carefully! 

Message 559 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I seem to have been successful in separating out the bands but the Advanced page in the router still only shows one SSID but when I telnet in and run the various commands, I confirmed it has two separate SSID's for the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands. Shouldn't this show somewhere in the router settings on the ADVANCED - HOME page? 

Message 560 of 685
Highlighted
Star

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@A1MB1G wrote:

I seem to have been successful in separating out the bands but the Advanced page in the router still only shows one SSID but when I telnet in and run the various commands, I confirmed it has two separate SSID's for the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands. Shouldn't this show somewhere in the router settings on the ADVANCED - HOME page? 


No is the short answer. My advanced page doesn't show theses settings either. Been running split networks for many months, but the only way you know is by seeing what network SSID's are advertised by the router and satellite after reboot or using the Telnet commands. 

 

At the risk of annoying those on here that keep banging the drum for not separating the networks, I still can't fathom why netgear has not allowed this option, it's ridiculous to have the setting available in its firmware, but not shown on the web front end. Very daft...

 

Now  wait for the those that will profess we are daft and don't know what we are doing... (I work in IT by the way, and have done for 25 years, with both Cisco and Checkpoint network devices and never come across something as daft as this before).

 

Cue the Trolls... 🤣

Message 561 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@dwood wrote:


No is the short answer. My advanced page doesn't show theses settings either. Been running split networks for many months, but the only way you know is by seeing what network SSID's are advertised by the router and satellite after reboot or using the Telnet commands. 

 

At the risk of annoying those on here that keep banging the drum for not separating the networks, I still can't fathom why netgear has not allowed this option, it's ridiculous to have the setting available in its firmware, but not shown on the web front end. Very daft...

 

Now  wait for the those that will profess we are daft and don't know what we are doing... (I work in IT by the way, and have done for 25 years, with both Cisco and Checkpoint network devices and never come across something as daft as this before).

 

Cue the Trolls... 🤣


Not sure why anyone would want to Troll your comment as it's extremely valid. Why a company would want to prevent its users from separating out the bands manually is beyond me. I'm finding there are still a ton of IoT devices that will only play nice on 2.4Ghz, without the flexiblity of separating out the bands, there is no way to ensure they only connect to that band.

 

Thanks for the post, I'm all setup for now until Netgear screws it up with another firmware update Smiley Happy 

Message 562 of 685
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@A1MB1G wrote:


I'm finding there are still a ton of IoT devices that will only play nice on 2.4Ghz, without the flexiblity of separating out the bands, there is no way to ensure they only connect to that band.

 

That is not true.

 

I step in only to warn other visitors that there are easier ways of doing this that do not break the Mesh technology.

 

I leave it to someone else to explain the simple process that has worked for many people, me included.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 563 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@michaelkenward wrote:

That is not true.

I step in only to warn other visitors that there are easier ways of doing this that do not break the Mesh technology.

I leave it to someone else to explain the simple process that has worked for many people, me included.


How can we go about maintaining the mesh technology while ensuring that these IoT devices connect to the 2.4Ghz band? With other routers, I know people who will temporarily disable 5Ghz, connect all their devices, then enable the 5Ghz band again but that doesn't prevent the devices from later switching bands. 

With the Orbi's, I've had constant issues with the Nest Camera and one other device constantly disconnecting from the Wi-Fi. This was never an issue when I used Asus Routers separating out the two bands and ensuring these devices connected to the 2.4Ghz band. 

Message 564 of 685
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@A1MB1G wrote:

I know people who will temporarily disable 5Ghz, connect all their devices, then enable the 5Ghz band again but that doesn't prevent the devices from later switching bands. 

 


It is impossible for a device that works only on 2.4 GHz to connect to 5GHz.

 

It is in the physics.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 565 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@michaelkenward wrote:

It is impossible for a device that works only on 2.4 GHz to connect to 5GHz.

 

It is in the physics.


You're kind of missing the point. Some of these IoT devices can work on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz, otherwise they wouldn't connect or work at all to begin with. What I'm saying is that I've noticed several of such devices that only work consistently on 2.4Ghz. For example, going back to my Nest camera. it has worked on my 5Ghz band, but at least once a week it would drop connection. This never happens when I force it to stay on the 2.4Ghz band.

Message 566 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

This.

>>I've noticed several of such devices that only work consistently on 2.4Ghz

 

There is a lot of great Theory being thrown around, but the net net is that there are dozens of devices by main brands (Google, Amazon, Apple, Samsung, etc.) that do not handle switching between 2G and 5G well and perform horribly on 5G.

 

Either the Orbi has absolutely horrible band steering or these devices are flawed.  Good news is we have found a work-around to make the Orbi successful. Sadly there are people here who only believe in theory.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 567 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@soundersfc wrote:

There is a lot of great Theory being thrown around, but the net net is that there are dozens of devices by main brands (Google, Amazon, Apple, Samsung, etc.) that do not handle switching between 2G and 5G well and perform horribly on 5G.

 

Either the Orbi has absolutely horrible band steering or these devices are flawed.  Good news is we have found a work-around to make the Orbi successful. Sadly there are people here who only believe in theory.


Exactly right! Which is what makes Netgear's stance on this so puzzling. Why restrict your user base from making the necessary adjustments to ensure these devices operate more reliably? If anything, it just makes me want to dump Orbi Routers/Satelites altogether. Having to telnet into the router simply to separate the bands is archaic at best.

Message 568 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Its up to most wifi device to pick and choose the signal to connect too. Orbi only provides a plat form and steering based on what the device picks first. Also noise, signal and environment contribute to what devices will pick to connect too. 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 569 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Its up to most wifi device to pick and choose the signal to connect too. Orbi only provides a plat form and steering based on what the device picks first. Also noise, signal and environment contribute to what devices will pick to connect too. 


Exactly, and why we have to break them out.  I don't want my IoT devices, even if they are 5Ghz capable, on my 5 Ghz network, there is no need since they are low bandwidth but need the higher reliability, 2.4 Ghz is perfect for them.  

 

Unfortunaly most wireless NIC manufactures' built in logic for switching bands when the SSID matches is pretty dumb.  It prefers signal strength over bandwidth, so it will default to either.  It's a huge problem with dual band IoT devices like my Nest Thermostats or Ring cameras that I don't need the bandwidth of the 5Ghz network on, and then the opposite on my Surface Book and iPhone, that will both default to the 2.4 Ghz network because its signal is "stronger" but the bandwidth will be 40-50 Mbps, where as the "weaker" 5 Ghz signal will still net me 300-400 Mbps.  Sure on the laptop I can set it to only use 5 Ghz band, but not all users know how to do that, and not all devices, like my iPhone and pretty much all IoT devices cannot do that.

 

From what I can tell manually breaking it out doesn't impact the mesh capabilities, so I'm not sure why Netgear is so against this.  It's why I am highly contemplating switching to Amplify's HD system.  

Message 570 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi


@Schmak01 wrote:

It's why I am highly contemplating switching to Amplify's HD system.  

Any idea of the Amplifi system supports IGMP Proxy & Snooping? THe reason I ask is that I'm stuck with my ISP's Router as I have my IPTV service with them as well and it uses IGMP. It doesn't allow me to put their router in bridge mode, so I've been using the Netgear routers in Access Point mode. 

When I tried plugging the TV receiver in through the Netgear router, it won't work, I had to use a switch that was connected directly to the ISP's router and then to the TV receiver box supplied by the ISP.

If Amplifi supports IGMP, I believe there is a way I can disable the ISP's router altogether. I can't recall the steps but something worth looking into I suppose.

Message 571 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I know. NG hasn't given in since they released Orbi. Even Orbi AX is the same way. I presume there are reasons why they don't. We don't know. It's a preference I'm sure with users wanting to control where there devices connect to. Thats fine. However Orbi as desgined works pretty well. I also have some dual band cameras and NEST Contollers. They work well when connected to Orbi using single SSID. I've been using Smart Connect configurations since 2012 when it first came out. I to was used to having separate SSIDs. Smiley Wink

 

If Orbi isn't working for you or for your needs, then of course, find something that does. Smiley Wink


@Schmak01 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Its up to most wifi device to pick and choose the signal to connect too. Orbi only provides a plat form and steering based on what the device picks first. Also noise, signal and environment contribute to what devices will pick to connect too. 


Exactly, and why we have to break them out.  I don't want my IoT devices, even if they are 5Ghz capable, on my 5 Ghz network, there is no need since they are low bandwidth but need the higher reliability, 2.4 Ghz is perfect for them.  

 

Unfortunaly most wireless NIC manufactures' built in logic for switching bands when the SSID matches is pretty dumb.  It prefers signal strength over bandwidth, so it will default to either.  It's a huge problem with dual band IoT devices like my Nest Thermostats or Ring cameras that I don't need the bandwidth of the 5Ghz network on, and then the opposite on my Surface Book and iPhone, that will both default to the 2.4 Ghz network because its signal is "stronger" but the bandwidth will be 40-50 Mbps, where as the "weaker" 5 Ghz signal will still net me 300-400 Mbps.  Sure on the laptop I can set it to only use 5 Ghz band, but not all users know how to do that, and not all devices, like my iPhone and pretty much all IoT devices cannot do that.

 

From what I can tell manually breaking it out doesn't impact the mesh capabilities, so I'm not sure why Netgear is so against this.  It's why I am highly contemplating switching to Amplify's HD system.  


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 572 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Here's my use case. I was using an x4s with around 80 devices. Most of them iot stuff like light bulbs and plugs, etc. on the 2.4 band with a 60 character passcode. Had I known that the orbi didn't support separate ssid's I wouldn't have bought it but I did. And fortunately this forum showed me how to do it. There's no way I was going to reconfigure every device's passcode. And now that it's working I'm not going to upgrade the firmware until and unless orbi supports dual ssids. It's too much work. I switched from the x4s because it couldn't handle the large number of devices and from time to time devices would just stop working. That hasn't happened with the orbi. But if I find a router that can handle 100-200 iot devices I would dump the orbi in an instant. The mesh is a nice idea, but managing firmware across a router and 3 satellites is too much work, especially when the satellites aren't all the same model. if anyone knows of a good central router let me know. I replaced the x4s 4 times and have one new in the box and can attest that it doesn't work in my environment.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 573 of 685
Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

It's sad that this "feature" is still not available in the GUI as an option.

It may not be needed by everyone, but for me and others who have viewed and commented on this post, it should at least be an available option.

 

Thanks for the great post!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 574 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

So it looks like the router and satelite are resorting back to sharing the same name SSID after about 24 hours of operation. I even executed the following commands via telnet session after I changed the name of the 5Ghz SSID:

 

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1
config commit 

 

Unfortunately, despite these commands, the ORBI's are still reverting back after some time to a shared SSID for both bands. Anyone find a work around to this. I'm about ready to throw these things out the window!!!

Message 575 of 685