Highlighted
Luminary

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

@A1MB1G wrote:

So it looks like the router and satelite are resorting back to sharing the same name SSID after about 24 hours of operation. I even executed the following commands via telnet session after I changed the name of the 5Ghz SSID:

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1
config commit 

Unfortunately, despite these commands, the ORBI's are still reverting back after some time to a shared SSID for both bands. Anyone find a work around to this. I'm about ready to throw these things out the window!!!

Yes, it does. And this appears to have happened for me in the last week.  

This product is very poorly designed, and the development path is worse.  I will *NEVER* buy another Netgear product.

Message 576 of 685
Highlighted
Star

@A1MB1G wrote:

So it looks like the router and satelite are resorting back to sharing the same name SSID after about 24 hours of operation. I even executed the following commands via telnet session after I changed the name of the 5Ghz SSID:

config commit 

Unfortunately, despite these commands, the ORBI's are still reverting back after some time to a shared SSID for both bands. Anyone find a work around to this. I'm about ready to throw these things out the window!!!

Read the posts carefully sir... RUN the command below BEFORE you attempt to split the networks. 

config commit

Can confirm split SSID's still working perfectly for me after many months on firmware verion 2.5.1.8

Message 577 of 685
Highlighted
Star

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

@A1MB1G wrote:

config commit 

Yes, it does. And this appears to have happened for me in the last week.  

This product is very poorly designed, and the development path is worse.  I will *NEVER* buy another Netgear product.

RUN the command below BEFORE you attempt to split the networks on both the router and satellite via telnet.

config commit

Can confirm split SSID's still working perfectly for me after many months on firmware verion 2.5.1.8

Message 578 of 685
Highlighted

If you are feeling adventurous, you can edit the file /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh and disable the check for matching ssids.  This will leave all other checks in place.

telnet to your router

config set wla_ssid='my-5g-ssid'

config commit

cp /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh.bak

vi /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh

- comment out the line "match_wireless_basic_setting" (line 751 in firmware version V2.5.1.8)

reboot

Message 579 of 685
Highlighted
Luminary

@dwood wrote:

Mine was too.  Suddenly, one SSID.  No log entries, no firmware update. Just "magic"

Message 580 of 685
Highlighted

It was too good to be true.  This does not work.  Once you reboot, the router will overwrite the entire /sbin/* directory from a "read-only" directory putting the file back to its original state.

The only method for keeping the ssids seperate it to completely disable the monitor using "config set wifison-monitor_stop=1"

Anthony

@a-brittis wrote:

If you are feeling adventurous, you can edit the file /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh and disable the check for matching ssids.  This will leave all other checks in place.

telnet to your router

config set wla_ssid='my-5g-ssid'

config commit

cp /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh.bak

vi /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh

- comment out the line "match_wireless_basic_setting" (line 751 in firmware version V2.5.1.8)

reboot

Message 581 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

Despite all the suggestions on here and all the telnet commands, mine just resorted back to a combined SSID again after I decided to change the channel of my 5Ghz band. I'm so done with these routers. Going to wait a few months and then possibly buy the Asus ZenWifi 6 Router or some other variation that allows me way more flexibilty. This is absurd.

Message 582 of 685
Highlighted

@A1MB1G wrote:

Despite all the suggestions on here and all the telnet commands, mine just resorted back to a combined SSID again after I decided to change the channel of my 5Ghz band. I'm so done with these routers. Going to wait a few months and then possibly buy the Asus ZenWifi 6 Router or some other variation that allows me way more flexibilty. This is absurd.

You will need to also disable the monitoring service with the telnet command, otherwise it will return back to the same ssid after several minutes.

If you ever change anything on your wifi page (like your channel) or you update your firmware, you will need to re-run all the telnet commands again.  It is a total pain in the ass.

Since I just bought this system, I have opened a ticket with support and I'm really pestering them to address this.  We'll see how that works out.

Having the same ssid for both bands is just not acceptable.  Clients will continue to join the 2.4 GHz band even though they are capable of joining the faster 5GHz band.  Many clients just aren't that sophisticated in switching or choosing the appropriate band.

Disabling the 2.4GHz band is also not an option because many IoT devices only support 2.4GHz.

In theory - having the client choose the best option themselves makes sense, however, in practice, this doesn't happen.  I'm not going to complain to every manufacturer of devices I own asking them to update their firmware so that uses better intelligence when picking a wifi band.  I'll be writing to Samsung, Apple, Wemo, Nest, HP, Leveno, Feit, and countless others.  (And of course I'd be ignored.)

If there is some technical reason that Netgear has disabled this feature on Orbi, I wish they would explain it here in the community.  At least we would know why.

Message 583 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

I agree with everything you said.  If you want an Orbi router that will work with 2 SSID's I'd recommend that you revert the firmware back to Version V2.3.5.30 and follow the instructions in this thread on how to configure that version.  It does work.

Now, with that said, this single SSID thing caught me entirely by surprise... so I did a quick check on some other mesh products (I don't remember which ones) but it looks like other companies are doing that single SSID thing with their mesh routers too.  And I don't know if they have any workarounds like we see in this forum.

I need a router that can handle ~100 to 200 devices (a lot of them IoT stuff, and right now the Orbi is handling that with my configuration.  However, I'm interested in finding a router that supports 2 SSID's and the # of devices.  If you know of something that works, let me know.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 584 of 685
Highlighted
Master

@a-brittis wrote:

Since I just bought this system, I have opened a ticket with support and I'm really pestering them to address this.  We'll see how that works out.

The solution is obvious, return this product and purchase something else. This issue has existed for several years.  If I were in Netgear support and users were "pestering" me to support a telnet hack, I would tell management, "it's time we disabled telnet access to the router."  My R7000 Nighthawk does not allow telnet, and that really annoys me.  I sure hope you do not succeed in getting Netgear to cut off telnet access to the Orbi.

I love my Orbi.
Message 585 of 685
Highlighted

@CrimpOn wrote:

My R7000 Nighthawk does not allow telnet, and that really annoys me. 

Seems odd.

I have memories of using http://routerlogin.com/debug.htm to dive into the entrails of an R7000P during beta trials. I have definitely been into an R7800 for the same reason.

Is the R7000 unique? Did Netgear break telnet in later firmware? If so, temporarily backtracking firmware versions for the purpose of getting Telnet to work might be an option.

PS Off topic, I know, but this discussion lost any structure or logic a long time ago.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 586 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

I believe if I remember right, my R7000 at work didn't have a telnet option. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 587 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

If I were in Netgear support and users were "pestering" me to support a telnet hack, I would tell management, "it's time we disabled telnet access to the router."  My R7000 Nighthawk does not allow telnet, and that really annoys me.  I sure hope you do not succeed in getting Netgear to cut off telnet access to the Orbi.

Thank the heavens you are not in Product Management at Netgear, as that is the opposite of being Customer Focused!!

Instead a seasoned PM would take this feedback and understand empathetically what the problem their customer base is running into and work on solutions that help resolve the issues. An easy route is to expose this separation to users, but if that didn't accrue to long term strategic goals that are customer aligned then a larger improvement would be on the roadmap.

Message 588 of 685
Highlighted

@CrimpOn wrote:

@a-brittis wrote:

If I were in Netgear support and users were "pestering" me to support a telnet hack, I would tell management, "it's time we disabled telnet access to the router."  My R7000 Nighthawk does not allow telnet, and that really annoys me.  I sure hope you do not succeed in getting Netgear to cut off telnet access to the Orbi.

I didn't ask them to support a telnet hack.  I asked them to expose the ability to have separate SSIDs in their web interface and Orbi Apps.

The ability is clearly available.  They just need to expose the functionality to their interfaces.

I'm assuming there is either a "technical issue" with having separate SSIDs in a mesh network, or Netgear thinks its a "fechur" to have just a single SSID.  If it is the latter, I prefer to have separate SSIDs for the reasons I stated in my previous post.  Apparently there is a trend amongst other mesh router manufacturers to also only have a single SSID, so I'm wondering if there is some technical reason for it.

Message 589 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've been a happy split SSID user for a few months now on v2.5.1.8 but the computer security side of me is getting itchy staying on old firmware when v2.5.1.16 is available.  Can anyone confirm this workaround still works with v2.5.1.16?  Normally I'd be the first to test but I don't want to break anything while my family is home all day during the lockdown Smiley Sad

To pre-empt any questions and to add to the "why split SSID" question: streaming to my Chromecast/TV from my Oculus Quest is unusable with a shared SSID.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 590 of 685
Highlighted
Master

The only claimed improvement in 2.5.1.16 regards device information displays.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I love my Orbi.
Message 591 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

The only claimed improvement in 2.5.1.16 regards device information displays.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'm always skeptical that the release notes are a comprehensive listing of everything that was modified.  If you look at the forums here and on Reddit, people claim to have significant performance differences even when the changelog looks super beign.

On a whim, I did a simple/dumb diff betwen the router firmware v2.5.1.8 and v2.5.1.16 root filesystems and there are 420 modified files to include things like /usr/sbin/smbd and /usr/sbin/openvpn.  There's no way those binaries are relevant for "Fixes the attached device list incomplete issue."

EDIT: I did a slightly more in depth comparison of at least the binaries in /usr/sbin, it looks like the only difference is the embedded timestamps that reference the compile date.  This at least means that everything is recompiled on each release (judging by some of the strings I'm seeing, by different people) which, while not terribly surprising, means other things can be changing as well.

Message 592 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok, I followed all the steps. I did it on a mac. Everything worked except I am not seeing the second channel I named for the 5ghz. I am still only showing 1 channel when I look up the wifi on my phone. So I went back and double checked via telnet and yes, there are 2 different names for wl_ssid and wla_ssid.

Any advice? 

Message 593 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

@pizziola28 wrote:

Ok, I followed all the steps. I did it on a mac. Everything worked except I am not seeing the second channel I named for the 5ghz. I am still only showing 1 channel when I look up the wifi on my phone. So I went back and double checked via telnet and yes, there are 2 different names for wl_ssid and wla_ssid.

Any advice? 

I officially gave up on the Netgear Orbi and just sold them. Have been using the new Asus Zenwifi 6 and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Best thing I ever did was get rid of this hunk a junk. 

Message 594 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

My main issue to doing this is I have 9 devices that are 2.4. So on the Asus was it easy to set up the devices that require 2.4 set up. 

Message 595 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

@pizziola28 wrote:

My main issue to doing this is I have 9 devices that are 2.4. So on the Asus was it easy to set up the devices that require 2.4 set up. 

It was super easy. Asus allows you full control over separating your bands even when using their AIMesh system. What makes the Asus ZenWifi 6 even better is that if you have an ethernet backhaul from the router to the node (satelite), you can open up a third 5GHZ band for whatever you like.

I have all my IoT devices now on 2.4Ghz band and all high-end devices like my Macbooks, iPhones, iPads etc on the 5Ghz bands. Haven't had a single issue and super easy to setup. The granular control you get from the Asus Router far supasses anything I had on the Netgear Orbi. My only gripe is that for the security features (AiProtection) they use a 3rd party (Trend Micro) and I'm not crazy about Trend Micro having data on my router.

Message 596 of 685
Highlighted

@pizziola28 wrote:

It has been said before, but things easily get lost in long running discussions, but the easiest way for most people to achieve this is to temporarily turn off the 5 GHz SSID broadcast. Set up the IoT toys, then turn the 5 GHz SSID back on.

There are circumstances where permanent separation may be required, but experiments by different people with dozens of different IoT devices have show that separation matters only during the set up phase, which requires the setup client to connect to 2.4 GHz. After that, the IoT device won't even know about the 5 GHz wifi.

My latest encounter with this was when connecting a Canon camera to the wifi so that it could transfer pictures. Once set up, it happily latches on to 2.4 GHz, regardless of the presence of 5 GHz.

Like I said, nothing new here, just a reminder so that newcomers see the alternatives.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 597 of 685
Highlighted
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@pizziola28 wrote:

It has been said before, but things easily get lost in long running discussions, but the easiest way for most people to achieve this is to temporarily turn off the 5 GHz SSID broadcast. Set up the IoT toys, then turn the 5 GHz SSID back on.

this simply won't work. Once you turn the 5Ghz band back on, the Orbi will re-route some of the IoT devices back to the 5Ghz band. There sometimes seems to be no rhyme or reason for it doing so.

Message 598 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Most Iot devices are 2.4ghz so for those that only support 2.4Ghz, will never connect to 5Ghz. 

For devices that are dual band supporting, one can turn down the power output of the 5Ghz radio to help keep devices connected to 2.4Ghz if thats needed. 

Of course instead of trying to control were devices are connecting, which they pick and choose where they connect regardless of what users try, why not let the devices and Orbi system work as designed. Orbi does work well with devices connected letting the system and devices connect. 

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 599 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

I followed the instructions (using telnet) to separate the SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  All worked well except now I notice that the LED ring light on top of the router (RBR40) does not stay on during normal operation.  The LED ring light will cycle through the different colors during reboot.  However, it stays off after the boot is complete.  The system appears to be working just fine.  I am running firmware V2.3.5.32.  The system is RBK30 which consists of a RBR40 (router) and a RBW30 (satellite wall plug).

I wonder if anyone else has this issue.  Thanks.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 600 of 685