Highlighted

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

@HowieL wrote:

All worked well except now I notice that the LED ring light on top of the router (RBR40) does not stay on during normal operation. 

It isn't supposed to be on.

If it was before you dug into the entrails, something was wrong.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 601 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

@HowieL wrote:

I followed the instructions (using telnet) to separate the SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  All worked well except now I notice that the LED ring light on top of the router (RBR40) does not stay on during normal operation.  The LED ring light will cycle through the different colors during reboot.  However, it stays off after the boot is complete.  The system appears to be working just fine.  I am running firmware V2.3.5.32.  The system is RBK30 which consists of a RBR40 (router) and a RBW30 (satellite wall plug).

I wonder if anyone else has this issue.  Thanks.

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 602 of 685
Highlighted

@A1MB1G wrote:

Once you turn the 5Ghz band back on, the Orbi will re-route some of the IoT devices back to the 5Ghz band.

If your 2.4 GHz IoT devices go "back to the 5 GHz band", they are breaking the laws of physics.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 603 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

True, but many IoT devices do support both (I have many in this case), and this has happened for me when i've tried the suggested work around for turning off 5G to connect the IoT devices first, then enabling 5G again.

In theory, this would be good band stearing from these devices, but for whatever reason with Orbi this is causing their reliabiliy and data throughput to absolutely tank for me. So my only option is to seperate SSID - either via the hack, or I have to let go of my Guest Network to achieve the same thing there is a slightly more supported way at the cost of no longer having a guest network Smiley Sad.

Message 604 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

@A1MB1G wrote:

Once you turn the 5Ghz band back on, the Orbi will re-route some of the IoT devices back to the 5Ghz band.

Band steering won't try moving a device which has not attempted to connect to the 5 GHz band before, because of it can't know if the IoT device does support 5 GHz at all. If the IoT device does support both, there is no reason for not attempting the 5 GHz band ...

Message 605 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

Band steering won't try moving a device which has not attempted to connect to the 5 GHz band before
I believe you, just stating what issues I have run into when following some of the alternative work-arounds here.

there is no reason for not attempting the 5 GHz band

My Cameras and TV which support both frequencies even after factory resets, will eventually try and connect to the 5GHz (and in the reverse order) and that is when I start running into issues for whatever reason.

I appreciate your responses here, but it's a bit counter productive to always rebuttle when someone like me is sharing their experience. If you are trying to prevent people from sharing their experiences, that's unfortunate, but I understand Smiley Sad .

Message 606 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Devices will pick and choose where they connect too.

Message 607 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

There are people on product boards that will defend features that don't fit a use case. We have explained why the router should have separate ssids but some folks just won't listen. It's not worth the effort.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 608 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 609 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have RBR20 Orbi and want to connect few IOT device who needs 2.4G. I do have 15 existing devices which is already connected to Orbi on 2.4G. For recent new devices I am not able to make connection with ORBI and need to split 5 G and 2.4G SSID. 

I tried all the options - Change auto firmware upgrade , Going back to old firmware update but still it changes automatically. 

Tried Spliting wl and wla SSID but still it merges both to one. Tried auto merger disable with config set wifison-moniotr_stop=1

Is there any thing else we can do? can someone guide ? 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 610 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

try this:

Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

Be aware that there seems to be a time limit with some iOS or Android devices that will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio for a short period of time before changing automatically to the 5Ghz SSID, even though it's been hidden. The SSID is hidden only, thus the signal is still present. So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. Or turn down the power output of the RBRs 5Ghz radio to 25%. 

@anilseh wrote:

I have RBR20 Orbi and want to connect few IOT device who needs 2.4G. I do have 15 existing devices which is already connected to Orbi on 2.4G. For recent new devices I am not able to make connection with ORBI and need to split 5 G and 2.4G SSID. 

I tried all the options - Change auto firmware upgrade , Going back to old firmware update but still it changes automatically. 

Tried Spliting wl and wla SSID but still it merges both to one. Tried auto merger disable with config set wifison-moniotr_stop=1

Message 611 of 685
Highlighted

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1 should prevent it from reverting back.  I've been running mine with separate ssids for 2.4 and 5 Ghz for over a month now without any problem.

I did notice that you have a typo in your message.  Did you mis-type it when setting the config?  

Anthony

@anilseh wrote:

Message 612 of 685
Highlighted
Master

@anilseh wrote:

For recent new devices I am not able to make connection with ORBI and need to split 5 G and 2.4G SSID.

If it is not too personal, would you mind identifying which devices cannot be connected to your Orbi?

I am accumulating a list of "things not to purchase" and would like to add them to it.

Thanks

I love my Orbi.
Message 613 of 685
Highlighted

@anilseh wrote:

See above.

This discussion covers just about everything that can be said on this subject.

A lot depends on which camp you fall into.

If you are a rabid "separate SSIDS" believer, then you can pick which approach suits you.

If you just want to get your IoT toys to play nicely, then read the messages about temporarily disabling the 5 GHz SSID.

Just another user.

Message 614 of 685
Highlighted
Virtuoso

The simplest solution requires no changes to the settings on your Orbi.

If your SmartPhone keeps connecting to the 5GHz band, then try moving further away from your router and satellite with the phone. The 2.4GHz signal has a longer range than 5GHz, but a slower bandwidth.  So if you are 50 feet or more away from the router/satellite,  your phone may change to the 2.4GHz signal.  Once it does, then do the setup of the IoT device.

RBK53 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System (RBR50v1 router and two RBS50v1 satellites) running v2.5.1.16 firmware
Message 615 of 685
Highlighted

Nice idea. One of those blindingly obvious, "why doesn't it get mentioned more often?" suggestions.

It is another seriously sensible idea for setting up badly designed IoT stuff. But it will never convince the flat earthers who can see nothing beyond a permanent divorce between 2.4 and 5 GHz, "because it is there".

Let battle continue.

Just another user.

Message 616 of 685
Highlighted
Apprentice

Stupid solution. Sorry about that as I go wandering around my house waiting for my phone to switch to 2.4. Seriously?
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 617 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

It's not that hard to do. Smiley Tongue

Message 618 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Please Help!!!

I bought the RBK30 (RBR40 + RBW30) system last week.  I followed the instructions and successfully set up separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  The system was running firmware v2.3.5.32 then.  The system worked great until last night when it automatically upgraded the firmware to V2.5.1.16.  The system now broadcasting only the 2.4GHz SSID.  So I repeated the setup instructions again to enable the broadcasting of both SSIDs.  This time, the system still broadcasts only the 2.4GHz SSID.  It will not broadcast the 5GHz SSID (wla_ssid) no matter how many times I performed the commands:

config set wl_ssid="2.4GHz"

config set wls_ssid="5GHz".

config commit

reboot

Anyone experience the same issue ?  Thanks in advance.

Message 619 of 685
Highlighted
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. After walking thru the setup wizard, check to be sure your seeing the 5Ghz radio SSID broadcast with a wifi analyzer app on a wireless laptop, pc or pad. 

@HowieL wrote:

Please Help!!!

I bought the RBK30 (RBR40 + RBW30) system last week.  I followed the instructions and successfully set up separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  The system was running firmware v2.3.5.32 then.  The system worked great until last night when it automatically upgraded the firmware to V2.5.1.16.  The system now broadcasting only the 2.4GHz SSID.  So I repeated the setup instructions again to enable the broadcasting of both SSIDs.  This time, the system still broadcasts only the 2.4GHz SSID.  It will not broadcast the 5GHz SSID (wla_ssid) no matter how many times I performed the commands:

config set wl_ssid="2.4GHz"

config set wls_ssid="5GHz".

config commit

reboot

Message 620 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yeah exactly the same issue. Been through all the steps to re-enable but no joy
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 621 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Having been delighted to find this thread, having implemented it, it is not stable, and after a few minutes the system reverts to both bands being named whatever you sset the 2.4 to.

I have stopped the 5 SSID broadcast and simply will run 2.4 as it's the only way I am going to get these fussy things to work and I probably don't need the 5 anyway.

Message 622 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is all fantastic information, thank you... however i have fallen at the first hurdle, the comand is not recognised in terminal, I have searched to see if there have been any changes to this command and have got out of my depth, is anyone able to help please?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 623 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Windows or Mac?

Message 624 of 685
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mac
Message 625 of 685