Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Thought so!

Telnet was removed in Mojave and Catalina.

I used a free Telnet client on my iPhone to do it: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/iterminal-ssh-telnet-client/id581455211

There is a way to install Telnet into the OS, but it's pretty complex and not worth the bother if you can use this. I suspect there's an Android version if you're on that.

Good luck!

Message 626 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

top man, I'll give that a go, thank you...

@WhizzKidUK wrote:

Thought so!

I used a free Telnet client on my iPhone to do it: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/iterminal-ssh-telnet-client/id581455211

There is a way to install Telnet into the OS, but it's pretty complex and not worth the bother if you can use this. I suspect there's an Android version if you're on that.

Good luck!

@WhizzKidUK wrote:

Thought so!

Good luck!

@WhizzKidUK wrote:

Thought so!

Good luck!

Message 627 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

For those that have 2.4GHz only devices (as well as 5GHz), is it not time to move on?

Anyone have another source for MIMO devices that provide selectable SSID speeds?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 628 of 674
Highlighted
Master

@ttb wrote:

For those that have 2.4GHz only devices (as well as 5GHz), is it not time to move on?

Anyone have another source for MIMO devices that provide selectable SSID speeds?

My guess is that 95% of Internet of Things (IoT) devices have only 2.4G radio chips in them.  They are manufactured by the tens of thousands and practically never wear out.  They will be in use for years and years.  Things like smart plugs, light bulbs, garage door controllers, irrigation controllers, smart speakers, microwaves, video doorbells.  Their bandwidth needs are practically nothing and the greater range of 2.4G far outweighs the (unnecessary) speed of 5G.

I love my Orbi.
Message 629 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

my R6300v1 and X4S routers just can't handle the ~75 devices I have, most of which are IoT devices. With these routers, devices periodically disconnect and don't reconnect without a router reboot.  The ORBI isn't having that problem, so that's good... but without jumping through hoops, firmware upgrades break the separation of 2.4 and 5.0 SSIDs that I have setup with firmware version V2.3.5.30 which has been real stable.  So, I'll either wait for firmware that supports separate SSID's from Netgear (unlikely we will see that) or when the firmware V2.3.5.30 becomes obsolete due to security vulnerabilities, etc. I'll find something that can handle a lot of devices and dump the ORBI.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 630 of 674
Highlighted
Guru

There is a very easy telnet program for mac. try ZOC for mac:

https://www.emtec.com/zoc/index.html

Been using it for years. 

@gideonh wrote:
Mac

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK853 v3.2.15.2#(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 631 of 674
Highlighted
Initiate

@HowieL wrote:

Please Help!!!

I bought the RBK30 (RBR40 + RBW30) system last week.  I followed the instructions and successfully set up separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  The system was running firmware v2.3.5.32 then.  The system worked great until last night when it automatically upgraded the firmware to V2.5.1.16.  The system now broadcasting only the 2.4GHz SSID.  So I repeated the setup instructions again to enable the broadcasting of both SSIDs.  This time, the system still broadcasts only the 2.4GHz SSID.  It will not broadcast the 5GHz SSID (wla_ssid) no matter how many times I performed the commands:

config set wl_ssid="2.4GHz"

config set wls_ssid="5GHz".

config commit

reboot

Anyone experience the same issue ?  Thanks in advance.

Same issue.  It seems that the "wla_ssid" is no longer the right variable for the 5GHz band.  After the update, I went back in and reset the wla_ssid to the correct SSID name and did the commit/reboot.  The variable shows as being set, but the SSID is not being broadcast.

All of the other SSIDs (main 2.4ghz and both guest 5ghz and 2.4ghz) are being broadcast.

-ryan

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 632 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

I hit the same issue yesterday.  Everything was working fine for years with split SSIDs.  Then yesterday, my separate 5Ghz network disappeared after my firmware was automatically updated to 2.5.1.16.  The wla_ssid variable was still set to my 5Ghz name, but wasn't broadcasting anymore.  I telneted in and did nvram show | grep *my2.4ghznetwork" (which was the name of my 2.4 Ghz network and the main SSID broadcasting).  I looked to see if there were any other variables that were using the same SSID name other than wl_ssid.  I found one - wla_2nd_ssid.  I unplugged my satellites.  On the main Orbi receiver (not the satellites), I typed:

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1 (hit enter)

config set wla_2nd_ssid="my 5Ghz network" (hit enter)

config commit (hit enter)

reboot (hit enter)

Low and behold, my 5Ghz network started showing up again.  I plugged in my satellites and they started showing the 5Ghz separate network again as well (verified by opening a browser, typing in the IP of each satellite (in my case, 192.168.1.17), and logging in.  

So, on 2.5.1.16, I now have separate SSIDs again for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  

Hope this helps someone and thanks to everyone else on this thread who provided information on how to do this in the first place!

Message 633 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can the SSID of the 2.4GHz radio be changed using:? or is only the 5GHz SSID changeable?

config set wl_ssid="NAME YOUR 2.4GHZ NETWORK"

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 634 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you tgakk.

So I have a question: what is wla_2nd_ssid used for and how is it different from wla_ssid ?

You first remove the satelite router unit before re-configuring the main router.  Is there a reason you had to disconnect the satelite unit first ?  Thanks

Message 635 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

You can change the name of both SSIDs using the config command.

Message 636 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I didn't have to set it with earlier firmware versions, but with the recent firmware, it no longer broadcast without updating the variable I posted about.  I'm 5 days in and everything is working as expected.  

Turning off the satellites may not be required, but I wanted to ensure the new SSID appeared first, and that it propagated successfully to the satellites.

Message 637 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

@tgakk wrote:

I hit the same issue yesterday.  Everything was working fine for years with split SSIDs.  Then yesterday, my separate 5Ghz network disappeared after my firmware was automatically updated to 2.5.1.16. ...

I upgraded to 2.5.1.16 today - though sadly I did this on the same day I attempted to split the SSIDs... hard lesson. Setting wla_ and wl_ to different names would work for a few minutes then the Orbi would resolve to a single SSID (the 2.4 name assigned to wl_ssid).

I telneted in and ran "config show" looking for hidden ssid variables but did not find "wla_2nd_ssid" as you did. I found only the wl_ssid and wla_ssid. (there are also wla1 and wlg1 for guest network with the same SSID name).

Anyone else have this issue and sovle it?

Also, my Orbi also does not list "wifison-monitor_stop" usig "config show" -––  What is this variable?

Message 638 of 674
Highlighted

You must run the command
config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

This will disable a cron job that periodically checks the ssids and makes them be the same. If you do not run this command, your ssids will switch back to the same after several minutes.
Message 639 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Critical information. How did your find this out? (just so I can do it myself next time).

Will setting wifison-monitor_stop=1 prevent the Orbi from switching wla_ssid equal to whatever has been set for wl_ssid? or does it only apply to the specific wla_2nd_ssid that you'd found?

@a-brittis wrote:
You must run the command

This will disable a cron job that periodically checks the ssids and makes them be the same. If you do not run this command, your ssids will switch back to the same after several minutes.

Message 640 of 674
Highlighted
Star

@Crick wrote:

Critical information. How did your find this out? (just so I can do it myself next time).

Will setting wifison-monitor_stop=1 prevent the Orbi from switching wla_ssid equal to whatever has been set for wl_ssid? or does it only apply to the specific wla_2nd_ssid that you'd found?

@a-brittis wrote:
You must run the command

That information has been available in this thread for months. I myself have posted the full procedure and also this specific part to do with prevention of the network merging several times.

However, folk don't read through the entire thread to see how the solution developed so they miss it and experience the same problems and ask the same questions over and over again.

Take a look back in this thread. You will see the answers are all there already. 😉

Message 641 of 674
Highlighted
Guru

You might help users out by point to a permanent link to your information. This thread is very long and users many not want to read the entire thread or may miss important information. Including permanent post links to this information would benefit users look for this information.

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 642 of 674
Highlighted
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You might help users out by point to a permanent link to your information. This thread is very long and users many not want to read the entire thread or may miss important information. Including permanent post links to this information would benefit users look for this information.

I have re-written the pertinent information at various points in this post to help people and whilst I might continue to do this it might also be fair to expect people to do a little reading and research of their own.  As opposed to expecting the answer to be served up on a plate. I joined this thread when it had 13 -14 pages of info and found what I needed within 15 minutes or so.

What I am presently seeing is people not bothering to read back at all and continuing to ask the same questions and make the same assumptions and mistakes over and over again. It's disheartening to see it as all the information is in the thread only a few pages back, I had to go find it by doing a little reading so I think it's perfectly fair to ask others to do the same.

Message 643 of 674
Highlighted
Guru

The thread is long and there maybe so users that dont' have the time to look for some of these points. Reason why NG forum has "perma links" so that you can offer up links to the important information that users maybe looking for. Helps to have these links handy as well. Just something to offer up when users are looking for this information. 

Message 644 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mea culpa. I read the first few pages of the thread and attempted the solution povided early on in post #1. It didn't stick. Seeing that the topic is now 644 messages, it occurred to me that firmware updates may be the culprit so I started over again with the most recent post working backward in time and found your firmware-specific post.

For anywone working backward in this topic:

Instructions can be found in post 489 from Dec 29th, 2019 by @dwood 

I would suggest that @a-brittis's post 579 on modifying wifison-monitor.sh instead of disabling the entire function be considered.

But questions remain:

I would like to know the ramifications of disabling wifison-monitor function (and the source of the information). It's not that I don't read and research, it's that I have not (yet) found source information. Just folks resposting @dwood's post (or their own version of same).

Here are concerning posts in this topic:

1. @a-brittispost number 579 points out that "match_wireless_basic_setting" is line 751 (in firmware version V2.5.1.8.
      ?: What other effectes does disabling wifonson_monitor entirely have?
  2. @mrshadessays "there's a whole lot more going on in wifison-monitor than just forcing the two SSIDs to be the same" in post 530
      ?: What is the "whole lot more"?
  3. @michaelkenwardsays that disabling the wifison-monitor function "disables the monitor process that makes sure both the fronthaul and backhaul connections are up and running" in post 479
      ?: Keeping front- and backhaul connections running is core to the mesh, is it not? What effect does disabling have?

Anyone who is able to locate Netgear documentation on the functions of wifison-monitor.sh, please post them.

Message 645 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

@sjsharkie @HowieL 

the variable for the 5G network on the RBR40 is "wla_2nd_ssid", probably also on the RBR20. RBW30 has no "config" command you need to use "nvram" instead. 

You can check with:

config show | grep wla_2nd_ssid

it should display you current SSID.

Before you change the SSID, be sure that you disable the wifison monitor on the router and satellites:

config set wifison-monitor_stop="1"
config commit

power off you satellites.

then change the 5G SSID on the router:

config set wla_2nd_ssid="YOUR 5G SSID"
config commit

and reboot.

When it's up and running power on the satellites.

Message 646 of 674
Highlighted
Tutor

I am attempting to connect the simpli safe doorbell and it is not finding the network and assume it is the 2.4GHz.

1. In the  solution that splits and assigns a seperate network name for wla, will the original network for wl and network name be able to automatically switch frequencies as per the original ORBI design or will each device need to be set to use one or the other network?

2. In  splitting the 2 bands Im assumming a different password is required for each network or can they use the same?

Message 647 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

This solution does not work on the AX4200.  The config get command wl_ssid returnx /bin/ash: config: not found.

Message 648 of 674
Highlighted

@jfd123 wrote:

I am attempting to connect the simpli safe doorbell and it is not finding the network and assume it is the 2.4GHz.

With most IoT stuff, there is no need to mess around with separate SSIDs . Many, many people have connected devices using a simple and temporary fix that does not break the whole reason for buying a Mesh wifi system.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Many makers of IoT devices use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices usually connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your Orbi's wifi set up
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people. The solution appears in this discussion several times, but, like decent advice on how to separate SSIDs for those who really do need to achieve that, is buried in the noise.

This approach has worked for many people. The advantage is that it does not break one of the whole points of the Orbi Mesh system, a single SSID that devices can connect to seamlessly.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 649 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

I just thought about what Crick brought up. It's probably really better to only comment out the "match_wireless_basic_setting" function.

As I hate vi, I created a sed-line. Here you go:

sed -i.bak 's/^match_wireless_basic_setting$/#&/' /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh

If you want to verify that it was changed:

grep "^match_wireless_basic_setting$" /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh

@WilBloodworth 

try nvram instead of config.

Message 650 of 674