Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

A lot of good info and resources in this thread.  Kudos to all those who contributed! 

Can someone explain the differences between these variables.

wla_ssid

wla_2nd_ssid

wlg_ssid

wlg_2nd_ssid

Thank you in advance.

Message 651 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

Problem solved

I found that the Orbi has the option to open 3 wireless systems  from the single Orbi router.

Found Wireless 2 and Wireless 3,  both have the option to have seperate SSIDs for 2.4 HZ and 5 GHZ. 

Wireless 3 was designated for IoT devices, so I  activated wireless 3 and set up an SSID for both frequencies. 

I activated the Simplisafe doorbell and entered the  (added wireless 3  network)  SSID for the 2.4GHz of the Orbi and it worked!

My primary original Orbi network (Wireless 1) is intact  and is still operating fine as designed.

Message 652 of 739
Tutor

@WalhallaThanks for this.

Breaking down the wifison-monitor.sh file we find the following:

# check whether wireless basic setting 2G/5G not match
# if not match, 5G will follow 2G
match_wireless_basic_setting(){
orbi_project=`/bin/cat /tmp/orbi_project`
if [ "x$orbi_project" = "xDesktop" -o "x$orbi_project" = "xOrbipro" ];then
    ssid_2g=`/bin/config get wl_ssid`
    ssid_5g=`/bin/config get wla_ssid`
    passwd_2g_wpa2=`/bin/config get wl_wpa2_psk`
    passwd_5g_wpa2=`/bin/config get wla_wpa2_psk`
    passwd_2g_wpas=`/bin/config get wl_wpas_psk`
    passwd_5g_wpas=`/bin/config get wla_wpas_psk`
    sectype_2g=`/bin/config get wl_sectype`
    sectype_5g=`/bin/config get wla_sectype`
elif [ "x$orbi_project" = "xOrbimini" ]; then
    ssid_2g=`/bin/config get wl_ssid`
    ssid_5g=`/bin/config get wla_2nd_ssid`
    passwd_2g_wpa2=`/bin/config get wl_wpa2_psk`
    passwd_5g_wpa2=`/bin/config get wla_2nd_wpa2_psk`
    passwd_2g_wpas=`/bin/config get wl_wpas_psk`
    passwd_5g_wpas=`/bin/config get wla_2nd_wpas_psk`
    sectype_2g=`/bin/config get wl_sectype`
    sectype_5g=`/bin/config get wla_2nd_sectype`
fi
if [ "x$ssid_2g" != "x$ssid_5g" -o "x$passwd_2g_wpa2" != "x$passwd_5g_wpa2" \
    -o "x$passwd_2g_wpas" != "x$passwd_5g_wpas" -o "x$sectype_2g" != "x$sectype_5g"  ]; then
    if [ $wifi_basic_setting_not_match_count -gt 6 ]; then
        echo "[wifison-monitor] make wireless basic setting equal for both 2G/5G" >/dev/console
        wifi_basic_setting_not_match_count=0
        if [ "x$orbi_project" = "xDesktop" -o "x$orbi_project" = "xOrbipro" ];then
            /bin/config set wla_ssid=`/bin/config get wl_ssid`
            /bin/config set wla_wpa2_psk=`/bin/config get wl_wpa2_psk`
            /bin/config set wla_wpas_psk=`/bin/config get wl_wpas_psk`
            /bin/config set wla_sectype=`/bin/config get wl_sectype`
        elif [ "x$orbi_project" = "xOrbimini" ];then
            /bin/config set wla_2nd_ssid=`/bin/config get wl_ssid`
            /bin/config set wla_2nd_wpa2_psk=`/bin/config get wl_wpa2_psk`
            /bin/config set wla_2nd_wpas_psk=`/bin/config get wl_wpas_psk`
            /bin/config set wla_2nd_sectype=`/bin/config get wl_sectype`
        fi
        config commit
        wlan updateconf
        wlan down fronthaul
        wlan up
    else
        wifi_basic_setting_not_match_count=$(($wifi_basic_setting_not_match_count+1))
    fi
else
    wifi_basic_setting_not_match_count=0
fi
}

So, it appears that for minimal disruption to Orbi functionality, only one line needs to be commented (depending on whether you have an Orbi Desktop, Pro, or Mini).

/bin/config set wla_ssid=`/bin/config get wl_ssid`

The rest of the script enforeces common passwords for both SSIDs.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 653 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

Well, ignore all the attempts at minimally invasive ediiting by commenting key lines in wfison-monitor.sh. It doesn't work. As @a-brittis points out in post 581:  "This does not work. Once you reboot, the router will overwrite the entire /sbin/* directory from a "read-only" directory putting the file back to its original state."

So I have applied Instructions found in post 489 from Dec 29th, 2019 by @dwood. They have worked.

Message 654 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

I feel really dumb reading through 24 pages of help on this topic exactly and still not having a clue what to do to fix my problem. 

So.... like many before me.... I have a camera system (doorbell & wireless cam for security) that I want to hook up to my awesome new Orbi wifi system, which has (up to this point) really impressed me with speed and coverage. I cannot, nor can the security company I hired to install my new home security system and cams, hook up the cams. They need to be on 2.4ghz exclusively, again, not unlike many on this page. 

Can someone explain me (think computers for dummies style) how to separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz and/or temporarily disable the 5ghz for a period of time to get the cams set up? 

And becasue the drop down box above doesn't actually have my system listed, I purchased an Orbi Ultra-Performance Mesh WiFi System - AX6000 - 3 pack - (RBK853)

(I'm a touch alarmed at the Netgear system in total, I purchased the Orbi from their site yet it refuses to show up in my "Account" as well, some really alarming issues for a Tech company like this, just an FYI)

Message 655 of 739
Highlighted
Sensei

Two thoughts:

1. There is a community forum for the Orbi AX product line, where the participants may have more experience with your product than those of us on this forum who have the older WiFi5 product.
  2. I have installed several brands of security cameras, and every one of them worked by generating a QR code on the smartphone app which the camera is pointed at. The camera actually "reads" the WiFi SSID and password from the QR code and connects.  Does this camera system NOT generate a QR code?
I love my Orbi.
Message 656 of 739
Highlighted

@jbooms8 wrote:

Can someone explain me (think computers for dummies style) how to separate the 2.4ghz and 5ghz and/or temporarily disable the 5ghz for a period of time to get the cams set up? 

Here are some earlier messages on this theme:

Re: Installing Apps/Devices that cannot connect on... - NETGEAR Communities

Re: Installing my Govee wireless system - NETGEAR Communities

With most IoT stuff, there is no need to mess around with separate SSIDs . Many, many people have connected devices using a simple and temporary fix that does not break the whole reason for buying a Mesh wifi system.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Many makers of IoT devices use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices often connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your Orbi's wifi set up
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This solution appears in this discussion several times, but, like decent advice on how to separate SSIDs for those who really do need to achieve that, is buried in the noise.

For more specific advice, tell people what devices you are playing with. There's a chance that someone has "been there, done that".

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 657 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

The app does generate a QR code, and then when I go to enter my WIFI password (which it requires) it tells me it will not authenticate or my credentials have failed. I'm being told that it is happening because it can't authenticate the 5ghz, this is all very frustrating but thank you for the heads up on a separate forum for discussion. 

Message 658 of 739
Highlighted

@jbooms8 wrote:

The app does generate a QR code, and then when I go to enter my WIFI password (which it requires) it tells me it will not authenticate or my credentials have failed. I'm being told that it is happening because it can't authenticate the 5ghz, this is all very frustrating but thank you for the heads up on a separate forum for discussion. 

What devices? Which app?

I suspect that temporarily disabling the 5 GHz SSID will get yoiu there.

If you cannot force your mobile to connect to 2.4 GHz, one way around this is to

• temporarily disable the router's 5 GHz.
  • Tell the mobile to forget the 5 GHz SSID.
  • Give it a minute or two to forget the 5 GHz wifi connection
  • Connect to 2.4 GHz.
  • Do your thing with the IoT device
  • Enable the 5 GHz wifi
  • Complain to the people who made the IoT gadget

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 659 of 739
Highlighted
Sensei

@jbooms8 wrote:

If it's not too personal, could you identify the brand/model of security camera?  I know Netgear Arlo, Reolink, Wyze have all installed for me.

Just to clarify, the WiFi SSID and password are entered into the app first, THEN it creates a QR code, and then LAST the QR code is shown to the camera.  At which point does the "cannot authenticate" error pop up?

I love my Orbi.
Message 660 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

@michaelkenward Yes, that is a really great idea... except that it is not an option. You cannot disable the 5GHz band in the Orbi AX4200 or the AX6000 (to my knowledge). Maybe you should post some screen shots of that actually as an option.

Message 661 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@jbooms8 wrote:

If it's not too personal, could you identify the brand/model of security camera?  I know Netgear Arlo, Reolink, Wyze have all installed for me.

Just to clarify, the WiFi SSID and password are entered into the app first, THEN it creates a QR code, and then LAST the QR code is shown to the camera.  At which point does the "cannot authenticate" error pop up?

The brand of the camera is a Honeywell, a IPCAM-WOC1 and then a Skybell doorbell. Based on your note maybe I would need to delete the app? Reinstall? The app being used is Total Connect 2.0 

Thank you in advance!

Message 662 of 739
Highlighted

AX4200 is another of those labels, like AC. It is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC/AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

For example, the RBK752 is AX4200 but so are other Orbi devices.

Just another user.

Message 663 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

The solution is something that is very straightforward for logging into Orbi on a dedicated 2.4GHZ network. 

I was trying to connect a Simplisafe doorbell.

I logged into my local ORbi network nd discovered that Orbi offered the option to have 3 wireless networks to be set up. 

Interesting that the Wireless 2 and 3 neworks have the option to have seperate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Wireless 3 was designated for IoT devices, so I  activated wireless 3 and set up an SSID for both frequencies. 

I activated the Simplisafe doorbell and entered the  "added wireless 3  network  SSID for the 2.4GHz"  of the Orbi and it worked!

My primary original Orbi network (Wireless 1) is intact  and is still operating  as designed with the multi-band function.

I am using an Orbi SRR60 with a SRS60 satelite.  So not sure if all  or which Orbi models offer the option to have it generate multiple networks but worth looking for the option since it is very straightforward and a design feature from Orbi.

Message 664 of 739
Highlighted
Prodigy

Besides the earlier recommendation to temporary hide the 5Ghz SSID (stop the broadcast), you have the RBK853 AX system and another useful change to improve wireless compatibility is to set CTS/RTS Threshold to 2347 in Advanced...Wireless Settings at http://orbilogin.com/ .  The firmware default value is much lower and causes problems with some devices.

You can find other RBK853 discussions and suggestions in the Orbi AX forum: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 665 of 739
Highlighted
Sensei

@jbooms8 wrote:

The brand of the camera is a Honeywell, a IPCAM-WOC1 and then a Skybell doorbell. Based on your note maybe I would need to delete the app? Reinstall? The app being used is Total Connect 2.0

Well, I see what appears to be the issue with the Honeywell IPCAM-WOC1.  The camera FAQ on page 2 says clearly that it works with "all dual band" WiFi systems, but does not specifically mention systems where the 2.4G and 5G bands have the same SSID.  It also clearly shows (on page 3) that the camera has a bluetooth antenna. https://prdsecuritydocshare.blob.core.windows.net/fs1/IPCAM-WOC1/Next-Generation-Total-Connect-HD-Vi... 

It appears to me that the camera engineers have combined two technologies to set up the camera.

Watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwMw2dNa_Xw 

After powering the camera and starting the Home Connect app, the app uses bluebooth to "find" the camera.  Starting about the 3 minute mark, a QR code is generated before identifying the WiFi network.  I would love to get a QR reader to interpret what exactly is in this QR code.  Then, the Home Connect app displays a list of WiFi networks and has the user choose one.

How does the WiFi information get to the camera?  It's not through the QR code, so it must be through the bluetooth connection.

If the app told the camera only the SSID and password, then the camera would find the Orbi WiFi and connect.  My guess is that the camera is trying to be too helpful and is also telling the camera the WiFi MAC address of the Orbi and because the smartphone is connected at 5G, the camera cannot find it.

I cannot imagine what their engineers were thinking of.  Either use bluetooth or a QR code.  Why in the world use both?

If you are not too disgusted to go on with this, I would love to see a screen shot of the QR code.

I love my Orbi.
Message 666 of 739
Highlighted
Sensei

@jbooms8 wrote:

The brand of the camera is a Honeywell, a IPCAM-WOC1 and then a Skybell doorbell.

Looks like there are several Skybell doorbell cameras. Which one is yours?

I love my Orbi.
Message 667 of 739
Highlighted
Guru

@WilBloodworth wrote:

@michaelkenward Yes, that is a really great idea... except that it is not an option. You cannot disable the 5GHz band in the Orbi AX4200 or the AX6000 (to my knowledge). Maybe you should post some screen shots of that actually as an option.

We can't disable the 5 GHz (or the 2.4. GHz) on any Orbi - the option he talks about is to disable the 5 GHz SSID broadcast. Unfortunately this control has not made it to the Orbi AX systems yet. So no other way than lowering the power, and make some distance with the mobile...

Message 668 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

Well, the SSIDs were separate for three days before Orbi forced the 5G SSID = 2.4G SSID on the router and satellites.

The whole time the SSIDs were separted short-term dropouts continuted on the 5G network (see screen shot)

The SSIDs reset to be equal when the 5G channel was changed using the Orbi web GUI. Clicking Apply cased the SSIDs to reset. The paramter remains unchanged:  wifison-monitor_step remains = 1.

Bottom line: maintaining separate SSIDs on the Orbi BRB50 is hard work.

Separating the signals did not eliminate network dropouts.

Message 669 of 739
Highlighted
Star

I disagree, I have had separate SSID's that have been completely stable for 8 months. Look at my previous posts and run all the commands I detail in the right sequence and make sure automatic firmware updates are turned off. If your devices merged SSID's again, you either didn't run the commands correctly or you allowed a firmware update to take place which will reset key parameters previously disabled.

Part of the problem here is that there are a lot of folk contributing to this thread with ideas and concepts that they clearly don't really understand or grasp. For example I watch all manner of suggestions here to get 2.4Ghz IoT devices to register with Orbis, some of them quite daft like turning off the 5Ghz band which in itself has nothing to do with 2.4Ghz devices connecting to a completely separate frequency.

My advice to you is as above. Follow my detailed instructions, issuing the commands using telnet in my previous post, and also disable firmware updates. You will be just fine with successfully split SSID's. 

I also have to confess... I have decided to move on from Netgear Orbi devices as they are simply not friendly devices to set up and maintain if you wish to split the SSIDs. You are potentially only ever a firmware update away from breaking split networks all the time. Netgear have dropped the ball here seriously. They don't even respond to legitimate requests for adding the feature to split the SSID's. What possessed them to remove this crucial setting from the GUI is beyond me.

My RBR50 devices will be on eBay this weekend as I am now using ASUS Zen WiFi AX units which allow you to split the networks at set up, and still have a super fast dedicated backhaul channel between nodes. Brilliant devices working very well, and I don't have to worry about firmware updatedates removing my configuration as it is supported properly by Asus!

Message 670 of 739
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi @dwood ,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your Instructions found in post 489 from Dec 29th, 2019 and they did work. They are easy to verify as well by simply telneting into the devices to confirm wifison-monitor_stop=1 and wl_ssid ≠ wla_ssid. I can verify the device did not auto-update, but I did make a change to the 5GHz channel and 2.4GHz power level which immediately caused a device reset and wla_ssid was set equal to wl_ssid, even though wifison-monitor_stop remained set to 1.

Regardless, the dropouts were persistent even when running separate SSIDs. I keep hearing good things about the ASUS product, so my Orbi's will be on eBay right after yours.

Thanks for all your hard work on this topic!

Crick

@dwood wrote:

Look at my previous posts and run all the commands I detail in the right sequence and make sure automatic firmware updates are turned off. If your devices merged SSID's again, you either didn't run the commands correctly or you allowed a firmware update to take place which will reset key parameters previously disabled. ...

My RBR50 devices will be on eBay this weekend as I am now using ASUS Zen WiFi AX units which allow you to split the networks at set up, and still have a super fast dedicated backhaul channel between nodes.

Message 671 of 739
Highlighted
Apprentice

why not just use Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30 ... this allows you to set separate SSID's using telnet and it works very well. The instructions are contained in this discussion topic.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 672 of 739
Highlighted
Star

@Crick wrote:

Hi @dwood ,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your Instructions found in post 489 from Dec 29th, 2019 and they did work. They are easy to verify as well by simply telneting into the devices to confirm wifison-monitor_stop=1 and wl_ssid ≠ wla_ssid. I can verify the device did not auto-update, but I did make a change to the 5GHz channel and 2.4GHz power level which immediately caused a device reset and wla_ssid was set equal to wl_ssid, even though wifison-monitor_stop remained set to 1.

Regardless, the dropouts were persistent even when running separate SSIDs. I keep hearing good things about the ASUS product, so my Orbi's will be on eBay right after yours.

Thanks for all your hard work on this topic!

Crick

@Crick 

Hmm .. I didnt see the merging issue when I was changing channel, however shortly after I split the SSID's I didnt mess with any other setting and it was stable for months on end.  

I had a small issue with security cameras flicking between the satellite and the router for connection. Once I turned off fast roaming they stabilised and stuck to the satellite. Perhaps you can try that to stop the dropouts?

Its shame as Netgear do have a good product here hardware wise. However, the flaky firware, web interface, and the rigid approach from Netgears apparent refusal to engage on this specific issue and resolve it for hundreds of people has put me off completely.

I have had the Zen Wifi AX  units for about a week now and have the same fibre class internet access speeds over Wifi all over the house. These units werent avaialble when I bought the Netgear Orbi's last December. I wish they were!  The Zen Wifi AX firmware is great (stable) and the options in the Web interface are very flexible for even the most hardcore Network Engineer. Big thumbs up for Asus and Big thumbs down for Netgear I am aftraid...

Message 673 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well I have good news! And some continually frustrating news. I was able to set up the Skybell (doorbell/camera like Ring) and connect it to my Total Connect 2.0 system to tie into my security system. But.... I still cannot get the Honeywell IPCAM- WOC1 due to what they are saying is "invalid credentials" which my security company tells me means that its' trying to hook up to the 5ghz. So a small win, all i did really was follow the instructions to lower my 5ghz output to 25% as well as change the CTS/RTS threshold to 2347 as suggest here (thank you!). I'm honestly petrified of trying to set up this telnet thing, but that might be the next step or just return the damn camera to the security company and tell them that if they can't make it work I just won't have one. I really appreciate all of the help here from everyone, even though a lot of it went WAY over my head! lol. I hope to figure out the camera still. I'm going to reach out to Honeywell in hopes they can help me out. 

I do find it ridiculous that Orbi/Netgear doesn't have a better solution for this given the fact that these 2.4ghz devices are all over the damn place and in many homes across the country. I will tell you I love the Orbi system I have as it pertains to speed, as do my gaming kids when I'm pumping over 900mbps on the download side with about 30 devices hooked up. I would say it's "almost perfect" for me and what I need it for, and my capabilities technologically. Thank you again to everyone, I hope to figure out this camera soon!. 

Message 674 of 739
Highlighted
Aspirant

Unfortunately this methode of renaming 2.4 and 5 bandwidths doesn't work anymore. after the latest update to Version V2.3.5.30_1.2.8 ( July 2020) the two bands merged under one name. I assumed that I lost one of the bands ( 5ghz) since it doesnt show anymore, and unknowing that the router has updated its software I did a setting reset, then went to telent and renamed both bands, yet after I finshed they both get merged again under the name I gave to the 2.4 ghz. I have serched the net and someone suggest that adding the following orders on telent  ( config set wifison-monitor_stop=1 then config commit) has stopped the names merging again. I tried it and it didnt work for me. No i can not connect the devices that work on 2.4ghz to net anymore!!!!

If anyone has a solution please share

Message 675 of 739
Top Contributors
Announcements