Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

testuserguy
Aspirant

Unfortunately, it did not survive the reboot, even with a chmod 400. I wanted to go the immutable attribute route with chattr, but that doesn't seem to be present in the firmware, nor is gcc. I could maybe get a precompiled version of it for ubifs? I'll keep mucking around.

Message 776 of 854
Bobalong
Aspirant

Okay, that makes sense, thanks for clearing it up for me.
@schumaku wrote:

@Bobalong wrote:

@tomschmidt 

I have an NBN FTTN connection with a company called TPG, I'm in Australia. Do you know if the ASUS ZenWiFi will connect directly to the internet or will I have to go through the current supplied modem? Orbi currently connected to a Huawei HG559 (as a gateway I think it's called) to get connected. 

I haven't managed to do that with the Orbi, I seem to need both modems to get a connection.

Your Orbi isn't a modem at all - it's an Ethernet WAN router.

FTTN means Fiber to the node - your home is connected to a network node, e.g. a cabinet in your area along the road or so, using a two wire phone cable using DSL technology, so a Modem is required. For plain Internet, it does not have to be a fully blown "Gateway" (with Modem and Ethernet WAN, router, WiFi, phone ports). However, your phone service might require to use it. FMI nbn™ FTTN made easy 

Message 777 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

Well, this has been nightmarish. With the help of a friend, we were able to find the file chattr and dependencies to install it via opkg on the router. And of course, it ignored the immutable attribute flag of the /etc/config/wireless file. The next move was to try a crontab, but that's blown away at reboot. Tried adding it to the /etc/init.d/cron script, but that didn't work (maybe I can sneak it into another script with the boot() function), and I also tried adding it to /etc/rc.local and still no luck there either.

Maybe there's someone in this forum thread that is better at OpenWRT init.d startup scripts that can write a correct boot service, but mine just didn't seem to work when I tried.

I also tried to figure out what's blowing away the /etc/config/wireless file, and I suspect that what's somehow changing it is located in the /etc/init.d/boot script.

If anyone here has any other thoughts on how to modify the script after boot, let me know.

Message 778 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

I got it working thanks to an awesome Redditor. This works perfectly on reboot. This is what I was asking in my previous post, as I'm not as familiar with startup scripts. If you want the split SSID to persist on boot, do the following:

1. Grab your two SSIDs:
uci show | grep -i SSID_NAME_HERE
Output: wireless.FhAp2.ssid='SAME_SSID', wireless.FhAp5.ssid='SAME_SSID'

2. FhAp2 is your 2.4ghz SSID string. Write that down.

3. Create a new file with the following name and in this directory: /etc/rc.d/S99whatever_here
The requirement is that the file is named S99, and then whatever else afterward (such as S99Split). S99 indicates "Start" (I believe) and the 99 indicates the order at which it's executed, which we want at the end of boot.

4. vi /etc/rc.d/S99whatever_here
Look up how to edit and save/quit if you are unfamiliar with vi

5. Paste the following bash script:

#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common

START=99

start() {
	uci set wireless.FhAp2.ssid='DIFFERENT_SSID'
	uci commit wireless
	reload_config
}

6. chmod +x /etc/rc.d/S99whatever_here

7. Reboot for results to take effect

Note: You do not need to do this to the satellites as it will propegate to those systems automatically.

That's it! Let me know how it works for you guys.

Message 779 of 854
fmalloy
Luminary

@Bobalong wrote:

FTTN means Fiber to the node - your home is connected to a network node, e.g. a cabinet in your area along the road or so, using a two wire phone cable using DSL technology, so a Modem is required.

This is interesting, I didn't know that. If they're using just a twisted pair phone line using DSL, how can you possibly get gigabit fiber speeds, even if the distance from your house to the cabinet is short?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 780 of 854
mjkamerick
Aspirant

I have followed this procedure, and it works, but only for about 10 minutes.

I can see two different SSIDs, one for the 2.4Ghz network and one for the 5G network.

I can log onto either one.

But in about 10 minutes, some reset occurs, and the name of the 2.4Ghz network 

becomes the name for both networks, and I can only see one SSID.  

I cannot seem to make the change be permanent.

Fwiw, for the old Unix/Linux hackers (like me), the relevant file is, as I understand it,

/etc/config/wireless.

If you issue the config commands listed in the original post, you can see that the file

has changed.  It will list both SSIDs in separate sections of the file.

But again, following the requisite reboot, the change lasts for about 10 minutes,

and then the second SSID is gone, and the file has been changed.

Unfortunately, I do have IoT devices that only work with a 2.4Ghz network,

and I need to, at least, have a separate SSID in order to configure them.

Current firmware version is 2.5.2.4

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 781 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

Did you follow my method a couple of posts up? Also, how did you commit your changes?

Message 782 of 854
schumaku
Guru

@fmalloy wrote:

If they're using just a twisted pair phone line using DSL, how can you possibly get gigabit fiber speeds, even if the distance from your house to the cabinet is short?

On older, unshielded cable, aggregate data rates of 500Mbit/s can be achieved at 100m, we have some customers with G.fast (successor of xDSL) connections here in Switzerland almost reaching this downstream rate. Uplink again would be slower anyway. The theoretical 1..1.1 Gb/s from lab tests probably never - unless they are going to replace the unshielded two wire telephone cables between the FTTB/FTTC and your endpoint. ISP or carriers won't do that, long before they would bring the fiber direct to you (FTTH), or deploy XGS-PON where multiple customers share a 10G fiber coming from the cabinet, and split in the house using a passive component. 

Sorry for the off-topic...

Message 783 of 854
Mstrbig
Master

@mjkamerick wrote:

I have followed this procedure, and it works, but only for about 10 minutes.

I can see two different SSIDs, one for the 2.4Ghz network and one for the 5G network.

I can log onto either one.

But in about 10 minutes, some reset occurs, and the name of the 2.4Ghz network 

becomes the name for both networks, and I can only see one SSID.  

I cannot seem to make the change be permanent.

If the file is physically changing, can you write protect it?

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 784 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

I've been over this before... In my previous post I already explained how to fix this and for it to keep on a reboot. No, you cannot make it immutable with chattr and even if you make it chmod 400, it sticks, but the file is still changed. Let's see how they changed the file, and if they used my technique or not.
Message 785 of 854
mjkamerick
Aspirant

No, I just saw your post, and I will try that.

I did commit changes, but as I say, they do not persist.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Message 786 of 854
dwood
Apprentice

@mjkamerick wrote:

No, I just saw your post, and I will try that.

I did commit changes, but as I say, they do not persist.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Check out my post number 489. It works for RBK50 routers and RBR50 satellites. There is a command I there to stop the merging happening again.

Not sure what testuserguy is up to with all the posts and investigations he's been re-doing. I'm assuming he has different devices?

Message 787 of 854
dwood
Apprentice

@testuserguy wrote:
I've been over this before... In my previous post I already explained how to fix this and for it to keep on a reboot. No, you cannot make it immutable with chattr and even if you make it chmod 400, it sticks, but the file is still changed. Let's see how they changed the file, and if they used my technique or not.

Why does this not work in your case?

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

config commit

What devices do you have? 

Message 788 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

Dwood, as I described before, in the latest firmware, a couple of things:

1. config no longer exists (gotta use uci, uci commit, and reload_config now)

2. The config /etc/config/wireless no longer saves state on reboot, and nor do several other items (such as crontab)

3. WiFiSON is critical for mesh networks and should NOT be disabled. In the past part of the script may have contributed to splitting up the SSIDs, but it's no longer an attribute to change.

Check out what I posted a few posts earlier, which address the latest firmware changes. I'd like my post to be stickied in this thread to mke it easier for new folks swinging by and so that they don't have to sift through 700+ replies, but I'll do what I can to steer the new folks in the right direction.

I suggest checking out what I posted earlier.

Message 789 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

"Reinvestigating" as it is not applicable to RBK750. Also, your solution for disabling WiFiSON is detrimental to the usage of the mesh network. My solution is far less invassive, by simply modifying the file on boot after all processes have finished. I cannot speak for your RB50, but the latest firmware for the RBK750 does /not/ have "config" anymore.

Message 790 of 854
mjkamerick
Aspirant

Well, this is interesting.

On the RBR50, config still exists.  I'm on the latest firmware, 2.5.2.4

The changes made with commit DO persist across a reboot, but they don't 

remain.  Some system process changes them within a few minutes.

Also, I get a somewhat different syntax in response to the uci command, though

I'm not sure if that matters.

Instead of wireless.FhAp2.ssid, I get wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid for the 2.4Ghz network,

and wireless.@wifi-iface[2].ssid for the 5G network.

I can incorporate that syntax into the script you've provided, and I will try it out, 

but I do wonder if the system will 'correct' itself again after a few minutes.

Frustrating.

Message 791 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

In theory, you should be able to modify /etc/config/wireless with vi, and then run uci commit, and then reload_config.

Dwood is right, in that there are firmware differences between your Orbi, and mine. However, I still think it is detrimental to the functionality of disabling WiFiSON: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualcomm_Wi-Fi_SON Basically, it makes the whole point of "mesh" work.

If you go the startup route as I described, I would add in a sleep of 20-60 seconds, so that it happens far after the bootup has completed.

If it still changes randomly later on, then I suggest dwood or others to look into /exactly/ what the WiFiSON check script is doing, and disable possibly that portion (I assume it's a bash script from the description), instead of just turning the whole thing off blindly.

Since I think you said your background was nix, do you know of any way to see what process grabs a handle on that file to edit it? Not sure if you could setup a procmon of your own on there, given how limited this firmware is.

Message 792 of 854
dwood
Apprentice

@testuserguy wrote:

"Reinvestigating" as it is not applicable to RBK750. Also, your solution for disabling WiFiSON is detrimental to the usage of the mesh network. My solution is far less invassive, by simply modifying the file on boot after all processes have finished. I cannot speak for your RB50, but the latest firmware for the RBK750 does /not/ have "config" anymore.

Detrimental to the mesh network in what way? What have you witnessed/experienced?

I saw no impact whatsoever with a single router and satellite. Even the dedicated backhaul link ran at full speed.

Just because a note in Wikipedia suggests it helps with mesh set up and function doesn't mean it's been fully implemented in the Orbi's by Netgear.

Message 793 of 854
mjkamerick
Aspirant

Well, I created the file in /etc/rc.d as suggested, chmoded it, and rebooted.

File be gone.

It was deleted on the reboot, and it had no effect.

I find curious and completely frustrating that we are having different experiences.

Btw, did you notice that all of the files in /etc/rc.d are actually just links to files /etc/init.d?

Perhaps that explains something...

Message 794 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

Lol, you do you dwood. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/features/wi-fi-son

This is literally what they use, and what makes mesh, mesh. But turning off services when a startup script does the same thing, that's probably the smarter thing to do.
Message 795 of 854
mjkamerick
Aspirant

I conclude that it is NOT possible to run separate SSIDs for the 2.4G and 5G networks on my setup, except for a few minutes

after a reboot, after which some system process overwrites my changes.

My initial issue had to do with wanting to configure some 2.4G IoT devices  (Feit Electric smart plugs, or not so smart plugs),

which I could not do from my phone or tablet, as the phone connected automatically to the 5G signal and configuration requires that

it connect directly to the device, rather than throught the Orbi router.

The solution, which lay somewhat buried in these archives, was to stop broadcasting the SSID in the 5G network.

(See Wireless Settings under Advanced Setup on the web interface).

Then my phone and/or tablet would connect to the 2.4G signal, and I could configure the devices appropriately.

Having done that, I turned the SSID broadcast on the 5G signal back on, and everything works and is connected,

to the 5G signal if the device can or the 2.4G signal if that is what the particular device can do, 

because at that point, it's not about the signal, it's about IP connectivity.

Message 796 of 854
mjkamerick
Aspirant

I thought about some of the things you suggested, like trying to determine which process is modifying the wireless file

after I do, but a certain wife of mine is pointing out that I have spent far too much time on this mess, and besides, I found a 

solution to my particular problem (see below), and the firmware on Orbi is quite limited, as you say.

I have not found most of the common utilities I would expect on a *nix system.

I have been down this road before, when I tried to get ReadyShare to work by modifying the smb.conf files.

It sort of worked, and then it didn't.  The Orbi router and satellite solve enough problems for me that I will live with them,

even though I wish they were more configurable.

Message 797 of 854
testuserguy
Aspirant

At least you found a solution, so that's great to hear. Definitely not worth the time sink.

And yeah, it's definitely stripped down. What's funny is that they went pretty far to make sure casual people don't modify the system. Such as, opkg had the architecture stripped, and all of the distfeed.conf locations had been taken down from the Chaos Calmer repo on OpenWRT for the IPQ folder. Pretty comical really. I had to find the specific IPK for the Cortex A53 microprocessor for chattr as well as the supporting libs, which was not a fun task. Plus, the UBIFS just gave me a big screw you and ignores the immutable attribute anyway lol.

Definitely not a mod-friendly piece of firmware, haha.
Message 798 of 854
dwood
Apprentice

@testuserguy wrote:
Lol, you do you dwood. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/features/wi-fi-son

This is literally what they use, and what makes mesh, mesh. But turning off services when a startup script does the same thing, that's probably the smarter thing to do.

Lol all you like...You've never been able to successfully split your SSID's on your devices so you personally wouldn't know would you???

I can assure you with steps I used previously (and many others in here also) it never noticeably affected anything on the Orbi's I had at all. Backhaul was fine and ran at published speed, performance on each frequency was fine, no routing issues, no roaming problems between AP's. DHCP fine , DNS fine, MAC addressing and management . All features/options in the web interface also functioned fine even shutting down fast roaming. The only thing that had issues were IoT devices that were fine once I successfully split the SSID's.

But hey what do I know...I only successfully split the SSID's ... LOL

Message 799 of 854
dwood
Apprentice

@mjkamerick wrote:

I thought about some of the things you suggested, like trying to determine which process is modifying the wireless file

after I do, but a certain wife of mine is pointing out that I have spent far too much time on this mess, and besides, I found a 

solution to my particular problem (see below), and the firmware on Orbi is quite limited, as you say.

I have not found most of the common utilities I would expect on a *nix system.

I have been down this road before, when I tried to get ReadyShare to work by modifying the smb.conf files.

It sort of worked, and then it didn't.  The Orbi router and satellite solve enough problems for me that I will live with them,

even though I wish they were more configurable.

Do what I I did ... I switched to these....ZenWiFi AX (XT8)

Orbi's were eventually eBayed due to the troublesome customisation and inflexible configuration. 

Message 800 of 854
Top Contributors
Announcements