Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

testuserguy
Aspirant

Dwood, literacy may not be your strong suit, and I'm really sorry to hear that. If you had the ability to read anything that I wrote earlier, you would have understood that my post articulated in detail how to split the SSIDs and survive the reboot, and be perma. And, I don't have to disable one of the main features of the mesh network, unlike you. Your fix is just... gross, I guess is the only word to choose. Next time, I highly suggest looking into understanding how things work, before just disabling them and then touting it as a "fix". You're providing ill advice to others in the forum, and it seems I've struck a cord with you. What's even more odd, is that you still browse this forum even though you no longer own an Orbi it seems...? This is very odd territorial behavior for some post you made months ago.

Anyway, here's the post, again, and hopefully you can read and comprehend it this time. But, I'm not going to hold my breath, lol.

Post 779: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 801 of 849

@mjkamerick wrote:

The solution, which lay somewhat buried in these archives, was to stop broadcasting the SSID in the 5G network.

(See Wireless Settings under Advanced Setup on the web interface).

Then my phone and/or tablet would connect to the 2.4G signal, and I could configure the devices appropriately.

Having done that, I turned the SSID broadcast on the 5G signal back on, and everything works and is connected,

to the 5G signal if the device can or the 2.4G signal if that is what the particular device can do, 

because at that point, it's not about the signal, it's about IP connectivity.

Congratulations, you have stumbled upon a solution that some of us have advised several times in this discussion.

I gave up on repeating that message because too many people here seem to have forgotten the original quest, getting IoT stuff to work. And because you get shouted at when you ask people to explain why they want separate SSIDs.

Some people have very good, and documented, reasons for wanting separate SSIDs. Others just seem to be looking for this ability for its own right. They rarely explain why they are busting a gut trying to get this to happen, so it is hard to know how many people genuinely need separate SSIDs.

With luck, other people will find the message that you discovered and will succeed in setting up their IoT devices.

Just one problem, Netgear, in its wisdom, seems to have disabled the ability to turn off SSID broadcasts. If it insists on doing that, then it really needs to come up with a sensible solution for people who come across badly written IoT apps that cannot handle set up apps on devices connected to 5 GHz  wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 802 of 849
dwood
Apprentice

@testuserguy wrote:

Dwood, literacy may not be your strong suit, and I'm really sorry to hear that. If you had the ability to read anything that I wrote earlier, you would have understood that my post articulated in detail how to split the SSIDs and survive the reboot, and be perma. And, I don't have to disable one of the main features of the mesh network, unlike you. Your fix is just... gross, I guess is the only word to choose. Next time, I highly suggest looking into understanding how things work, before just disabling them and then touting it as a "fix". You're providing ill advice to others in the forum, and it seems I've struck a cord with you. What's even more odd, is that you still browse this forum even though you no longer own an Orbi it seems...? This is very odd territorial behavior for some post you made months ago.

Anyway, here's the post, again, and hopefully you can read and comprehend it this time. But, I'm not going to hold my breath, lol.

Post 779: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Touched a nerve did?  Of course, that's why you resort to pathetic veiled insults regarding literacy. It masks your inability to listen to any opinion contrary to your own. You carry on hiding behind your little forum posts. It's the only place where self indulgent egotists like you can thrive.

Message 803 of 849
testuserguy
Aspirant

Haha, that's cute. What's funnier, is that you replied and simply quoted everything I said, with no content. Finally, 20min later, you were able to edit it an put content in there. Nice. 

Anyway, you were wrong and tried to insult me for it? And now you're just upset. Smiley Sad Try being wrong less often and learn how to read. You literally are in your position now, because you failed to read, or comprehend what I wrote. You thought you had such a stellar argument, but wow, that's just... embarassing.

Mods, dwood is really of no value-add. He continues to harass users to buy another product (is he an Asus shill?) because he's very sad about his Orbi that he had to sell on eBay because he couldn't figure out his own problems, and continues to tout piss-poor advice that is detrimental to the product's functionality. 

In short: try not being useless, and self-reflect a bit more. So toxic. Also, reading comprehension is definitely key.

Message 804 of 849
dwood
Apprentice

@testuserguy wrote:

Haha, that's cute. What's funnier, is that you replied and simply quoted everything I said, with no content. Finally, 20min later, you were able to edit it an put content in there. Nice. 

Anyway, you were wrong and tried to insult me for it? And now you're just upset. Smiley Sad Try being wrong less often and learn how to read. You literally are in your position now, because you failed to read, or comprehend what I wrote. You thought you had such a stellar argument, but wow, that's just... embarassing.

Mods, dwood is really of no value-add. He continues to harass users to buy another product (is he an Asus shill?) because he's very sad about his Orbi that he had to sell on eBay because he couldn't figure out his own problems, and continues to tout piss-poor advice that is detrimental to the product's functionality. 

In short: try not being useless, and self-reflect a bit more. So toxic. Also, reading comprehension is definitely key.

You really are a very sad individual. Hovering over your keyboard refreshing this forum page... 
Waiting for the next opportunity to send yet another antagonistic reply, while still attempting to profess your amazing intellect to anyone stupid enough to listen to you.

Fortunately I quickly realised just what a pompous twit you really are. Do us all a favour and crawl back in to the hole you came out of. Unlikely to happen though as people like you simply do not go away and have to have the last word.

Message 805 of 849
testuserguy
Aspirant

Lol, kid is crying. He's never going to stop replying, is he? Big oof. I bet he'll reply to this too since he has nothing else better to do. Don't worry boo, I'll be here :*
Message 806 of 849
ORCLMAN
Aspirant

Hi,

Running RBR50 with 2 satelites all on fw 2.5.2.4

I tried to seperate the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi networks using the steps in the first post.

Although i was able to see the 2 wifi ssid, I was unable to connect to the 5G and shortly afterwards it appears that the change reverted itself.

I telnet to the router and the name under both wk_ssid and wla_ssid is back to the be the same.

Any thoughts?

Apologize as it may have been discussed previously in the 800+ pages.  Smiley Happy

TIA

Message 807 of 849
FURRYe38
Guru

You all need to understand that the RBK50 differs from the RBK850 series, so there maybe differences in telnet coding and modification between these two systems. Modifications seen may not work right between the two different models. 

Users with 50 series systems should probably use derwoods method:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Users with 850 series systems can try @testuserguy s method for that system. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Good Luck. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 808 of 849
Franky_D
Aspirant

Hi All,

Would similar fix apply to 20 model? Same coding?

Cheers

Message 809 of 849
testuserguy
Aspirant

I'm not familiar with the other models, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try and let us know your results. Good luck!
Message 810 of 849
rdagelen
Aspirant

I too have a problem with seperating the SSID for 2.4ghz/5ghz band. I have several legacy devices that only can be configured by accessing them from the same 2.4 network. My iphone automatically logs into the 5hgz. I have no way of forcing it to log into the 2.4 as they have the same SSID. My earlier version allowed seperate naming but now I can't. I quess Netgear thinks I should trow away over 20 perfectly function legacy devices that are affecte by this issue. I recently discovered this issue when I had to reset a camera. Now I cannot connect it to my network. What do you advise?

RBR40 — Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router  (Not listed above)

Purchased: 2019-07-13

Windows 10 environment

Router Firmware Version
V2.5.1.22

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 811 of 849

@rdagelen wrote:

What do you advise?

Tried talking to the people who made these IoT toys?

I bet they have other users on Mesh systems.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 812 of 849
CrimpOn
Sensei

@rdagelen wrote:

My iphone automatically logs into the 5hgz. I have no way of forcing it to log into the 2.4 as they have the same SSID. My earlier version allowed seperate naming but now I can't.

Many Orbi users have found this procedure works:

* Access the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net)
  using the admin credentials user "admin" and the Orbi router password
  (not the WiFi password) I do this on my computer, laptop, or tablet
• Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
• Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G Channel". Click "Apply"
  This will cause the Orbi to restart the WiFi
  and may appear to take a looooong time.
  This will not affect any devices which are currently attached to the Orbi at 5G.
• On the smartphone settings, "forget" the Orbi WiFi
• Search for WiFi networks and select the Orbi WiFi
• Enter the WiF password and connect.
  Because the Orbi is only broadcasting the SSID on a 2.4G channel,
  the smartphone will connect at 2.4G.
• At this point, open the IoT device app and go through the steps to configure it.
  Once the device is configured, the smartphone app will work
  no matter how it is connected to WiFi.
  (Most will even work when "away from home". - so you can really mess with the family!)
• After the device is connected, reverse the steps
  On the Orbi check the 5G box "Broadcast SSID" and "Apply"
  On the smartphone "Forget Orbi WiFi"
  On the smartphone Search for the Orbi WiFi and connect.

Can you try this and see if it works for you? (It did for me)

I love my Orbi.
Message 813 of 849
rdagelen
Aspirant

Can I get the older version of the firmware from Netgear that allowed seperate SSID;s?  I never should have trustred them to upgrade. This is BS. This was my third and LAST generation of Netgear router. Never again.

Message 814 of 849
CrimpOn
Sensei

@rdagelen wrote:

Can I get the older version of the firmware from Netgear that allowed seperate SSID;s?  I never should have trustred them to upgrade. This is BS. This was my third and LAST generation of Netgear router. Never again.

I am pretty certain that 2.3.5.0 allowed splitting the SSID's.

It should be available from the Netgear support web page.

Sorry to hear that when you tried the "don't broadcast SSID on 5G" technique it did not work for you.

Also really confused that a camera is that hard to set up.  All of my cameras have set up by creating a QR code that the camera scanned to pick up the SSID/password. Which model camera is this?

I love my Orbi.
Message 815 of 849
adevero
Aspirant

CBR750 (not listed in dropdown). /AX4200

Small home office to cover 100 sf home.

Not sure of firmware version (I'll update later)

This is great info --but, although I work in technology I would be too uncertain to try this. The discovery that the two bands are not separate was a real let down after upgrading to gig speed. My home security cameras only work with 2.4 Ghz (and that's true for 90% of all wireless camera networks.). I can't figure out who in Netgear's product team thought this was a good place to skimp on the roadmap.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 816 of 849

@adevero wrote:

My home security cameras only work with 2.4 Ghz (and that's true for 90% of all wireless camera networks.).

Things that work on 2.4 GHz will not see 5 GHz. The problem  comes when you set them up and you have to rely on a hopeless mobile app that cannot cope with devices on 2.4 GHz when the phone connects at 5 GHz.

Fortunately, most makers of IoT stuff are not that thick. My Arlo cameras happily work with on 2.4 GHz with a 5 GHz app. Most other big brands are also up to the task.

Your beef is with whoever made these anonymous devices. Tell people what they are and they may be able to guide you through the setup process. (Temporarily disabling the broadcast of the 5 GHz SSID  works on some Orbi devices.) Or you could ask the people who made your cameras. Netgear is not the only maker of Mesh systems.

Just another user.

Message 817 of 849
rdagelen
Aspirant

I tried your suggestion but my phone picks up the 5ghz band anyway.I verify this on the Orbi APP. Both bands have the same SSID. Why cant Netgear get their act together??

Message 818 of 849
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this:
Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

Be aware that there seems to be a time limit with some iOS or Android devices that will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio for a short period of time before changing automatically to the 5Ghz SSID, even though it's been hidden. The SSID is hidden only, thus the signal is still present. So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

This is NOT a NG issue. It an IoT mfr issue with there limited designed app. 

@rdagelen wrote:

I tried your suggestion but my phone picks up the 5ghz band anyway.I verify this on the Orbi APP. Both bands have the same SSID. Why cant Netgear get their act together??

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 819 of 849
rdagelen
Aspirant

I have tried this approach numerous times and it does not work for me. Even after forgeting the WiFi connection, disableing broadcast for 5ghz, rebooting everything, my phone still connects to 5ghz as verified on the Orbi App. What is the advantage for Netgear to combine the control for the two bands? It worked fine before. I have lost all respect for Netgear!  Is there a phone number for support to call? When I look for support it pushes me out to the community. You guys are great but this is not a good way to support a product.

I have a dozen devices that rely on the 2.4 connection. The only reason they stil function is that I installed them before the stupid upgrade that combined the control for 2.4 & 5ghz. I discovered the issue recently when I had to reset one of my cameras and couldn't reconnect it. I will say this "LoT" gear is MUCH more stable than anything Netgear makes as I haven't had to mess with them since initial instalation prior to the Orbi v2.3.5.0 upgrade. How long ago was that?  I'll take LoT reliability over High priced Low performance solutions all day long.

Sorry for venting but this pisses me off.

Message 820 of 849
schumaku
Guru

@rdagelen wrote:

I have tried this approach numerous times and it does not work for me. Even after forgeting the WiFi connection, disableing broadcast for 5ghz, rebooting everything, my phone still connects to 5ghz as verified on the Orbi App.

It's well possible the Orbi does continue to share all Orbi system radio MAC (BSSID) for both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz radios. Even with the name broadcast on the 5 GHz band disabled, a modern wireless client will discover very quickly that a much better and preferred band is available.  

Additional suggestions by community members was also to lower the 5 GHz power level to the minimum, and make between the Orbi and the mobile device.

@rdagelen wrote:

I have a dozen devices that rely on the 2.4 connection. The only reason they stil function is that I installed them before the stupid upgrade that combined the control for 2.4 & 5ghz.

Since Orbi (starting with the RBx50) appeared on the market, there was always only a single mesh SSID supported:

Orbi one SSID both band.png

@rdagelen wrote:

What is the advantage for Netgear to combine the control for the two bands?

It worked fine before. I have lost all respect for Netgear!  Is there a phone number for support to call? When I look for support it pushes me out to the community. You guys are great but this is not a good way to support a product.

Not for Netgear - for the majority of the user base: Because this design does provide the best mesh experience for mobile clients. Because the Orbi does have only ONE network, there must be only one SSID. It's the industry standard to ofer ONE SSID for ONE network. 

@rdagelen wrote:

It worked fine before. I have lost all respect for Netgear!

Here again: You are nagging at the wrong end. The problem is the poor discovery design by your camera maker! The single SSID is standard on many Mesh systems!

@rdagelen wrote:

Is there a phone number for support to call? When I look for support it pushes me out to the community. 

The support does always work via https://my.netgear.com/ resp. https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx - there should be a paid support option (offering chat and call numbers) - however, at least here here from central Europe there isn't any paid option shown.

However, before considering paid support: The feature you are looking for is not part of any Orbi Data Sheet, User Manual, sales and marketing documentation. This does translate to the hard fact that support can't provide a solution (and you will be up set again for paying support up front...). 

@YeZFYI, sorry if some teams think I'm the bad-ass here, but this is still not fixed after years!

NTGR support hardware complimentary expired - no paid choice.PNG

@rdagelen wrote:

It worked fine before. I have lost all respect for Netgear!  Is there a phone number for support to call? When I look for support it pushes me out to the community. You guys are great but this is not a good way to support a product.

Temporarely stop Orbi, set-up an old/legacy WiFi router where you can configure the 2.4 GHZ radio to SSID and passphrase as on the Orbi, discover and config the legacy IoC, ...and then bring up Orbi again, and restart the camera.

Would love to give you any better feedback.

Message 821 of 849
fmalloy
Luminary

@rdagelen wrote:

I hear you and agree completely. It's the same arrogant design culture as Apple - "we think we know better than you and hey, look how simple it is for you dummies, because we are the brilliant UI designers who have to simplify everything for idiot users"

Yeah, it's very convenient to have one SSID. So easy and so simple for "stupid" users. We get it. If 2.4GHz IoT devices have trouble, well it's their problem not ours, amirite?

So instead of adding a checkbox for separate SSID (off by default) and a field for the 2.4GHz SSID, they feel they know better than dumb users.

It's a cocky, arrogant attitude.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 822 of 849
rdagelen
Aspirant

RBR40 w 2 Satellites

I’ve been using Netgear since 100 Base T was the standard but I am done with them. Thanks to all who offered constructive advice and to those who only offered criticism: bite me!
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 823 of 849
madhatter
Apprentice

It doesn't pay to get upset with the people who think that it's their way or nothing.  The fact is that there are valid use-cases for wanting to split the SSID's.  I've documented some of those.  And in those cases, having a single SSID simply doesn't work .... but it's not worth wasting my breath over it as these people are just simply uninformed.

Now the best solution I've come up with is with Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30

Using this firmware it's easy to split the SSID's and also to rebuild the fix if you do something that breaks it later on.

Here's how to split the SSID's using the above firmware:

=============================================
telnet in

list all the config settings that I can set SSID's 
config show | grep ssid

config set wla1_ssid="CHROME-5G"
config set wlg1_ssid="CHROME"

config commit

reboot
Now I get my main network SSID and 2 separate guest networks where:

CHROME-5G = whaterver you want your 5G SSID to be

CHROME = whatever you want your 2.4G SSID to be

don't use the quotes

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 824 of 849
Faiozen
Initiate

My beef is with Netgear.

There are MULTIPLE reasons to split wifi bands, not just older IoT devices...

The fact they have actively started preventing usage scenarios, which worked previously, is not the Netgear I've been a fan of for a long time.

It's a move away from enthusiast & tinkerers that Netgear has always been supportive of. (eg. MyOpenRouter project)

The real problem is fanboi users are happy to accept functionality being taken away from them.

How is this ever a good thing? Why do you want fewer features or less control?

They will keep accepting reduced functionality, all the while making nonsensical comments about how "thick" other products are...

If you don't use this functionality... fine... move along... that does not mean it doesn't provide value for other users.

Why are you even posting in this thread if it's not relevant to you? I see nothing but a toxic contribution to this discussion by a supposed "superuser".

As Netgear has shown me that they dio not wish for me to tweak, improve & play with this hardware... mainly so that it works for me in a way I can derive the most utility... going forward I'll buy my network devices from another manufacturer.

The change has plagued the use of this product since the firmware update... and I'm genuinelly thankful for those investigative minds which keep this product viable to me a little longer. Heart

Message 825 of 849
Top Contributors
Announcements