Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

adevero
Aspirant

Your response is ridiculous. If you do a search for wirlesss security cameras and look deeply into the specs, most of them run on 2.4 Ghz. Yes, the top of the line Arlos also run on 5Ghz --but the majority of even Arlo cameras do NOT (after reading your reply I checked).  Moreover, the problem is NOT with the "crappy mobile app", the problem is with the actual hub connection.

I wasn't around prior to the Firmware upgrade referenced by everyone here, but it seems idiotic. Why not leave the configuration such that legacy IoT devices work with it. That's what smart technologists do -- they account for interoperability. This is tantamount to insisting on a device walled garden --NO LEGACY DEVICES ALLOWED!

Well, that is BAD design and antithetical to serving your customers, most of whom still have legacy devices that won't work. Those devices now need to be replaced at great expense and inconvenience not to mention irresponsible waste creation --even though there is nothing wrong with them. Or, we have to learn how to do a McGuyver like workaround that likely violates the warranty; and that's if we even have the tech chops to do it. Which, FYI, I Do Not.

Message 826 of 854

@adevero wrote:

Yes, the top of the line Arlos also run on 5Ghz --but the majority of even Arlo cameras do NOT (after reading your reply I checked). 

I have near on a dozen Arlo cameras and gadgets of most generations. (Arlo seems to have abandoned the 5 GHz experiement.) They have no problem being set up with a mobile device on 5GHz. I guess the Arlo techs must be better at writing their installation apps.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 827 of 854
schumaku
Guru

@adevero wrote:

If you do a search for wirlesss security cameras and look deeply into the specs, most of them run on 2.4 Ghz.

Not sure what you try to explain here.

Orbi, Orbi Pro, Orbi AX, Orbi Pro WiFi 6, and Nighthawk WiFi do support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz - and run 2.4 GHz devices perfectly well, equally well dual-band capable devices, and 5 GHz devices only, just in case. No need to dig deeply into the Orbi spec to find this information, too.

Ridiculous is ONLY what ever IoJ which insist the mobile must be on 2.4 GHz for discovery, as this is is at no point required! 

The typical discovery and config IoJ process is this:

• Connct to the network (SSID) you want the IoJ to be connected to.
  • The discovery app does store the current active SSID and the key,
  • briefly disconnecting from the wireless system,
  • searching for some vendor specific hidden SSID of a default devices,
  • connect in a more more or less secure to the IoJ,
  • push the SSID and key to the IoJ,
  • finally return to the wireless again, waiting to see the newly cofigured device will become visible.

It's completely irrelevant to which radio and band the mobile is connecting on a mesh system, regardless from the vendor - as the all radios connect to the very same network, and the app will find the newly configured IoJ on the one and only network.

For a reason, there is NO choice to choose a band to use on most dual-band wireless devices, like most users mobile phones.

At least my information is not as wrong and misleading like the fake nonsense stated here again.

Amazing is that not single IoJ maker with an app requesting to "connect to 2.4 GHz" had joined the discussion here. Those who have removed or allowed to skip the useless check (except for legacy routers with band specific SSIDs) have happy customers again.

Message 828 of 854
madhatter
Apprentice

some people are STUCK on the idea that the problem with IoT devices is not the router mfrs fault and is the fault of the IoT vendor.  But that's not the only reason for allowing for dual SSID's.  As I previously wrote:

Let's say you are converting from your old non-mesh router to the Orbi, and let's say you are using 4 SSID's on the old non-mesh router (2 for guest and 2 for non-mesh) as described below:   100 2.4GHz devices    of various ilk that require keying in the SSID from the keyboard OR a complete RESET of the IoT device or both, on a combination of the Guest 2.4GHz band and the non-Guest band.     2.4GHz SSID = $r'=`zW*X\%xjQ=#7Aby]k_d]nfx4t2r-Nrc`Zh%/]u>nsEGx<G(SRs#>h);~GS  non-Guest band 2.4GHz SSID = $r'=`zW*X\%xjQ=#7Aby]k_d]nfx4t2R-Nrc`Zh%/]u>nsEGx<G(SRs#>h);~GS Guest band [in many cases with IoT devices you need to completely RESET the device in order to reconnect it to a different SSID.  That can take up to 3-5 minutes (or longer) per device]   75 5.0GHz devices  5.0GHz SSID = )P[WcYQQBwtSb;Q'YZ3HQTh=h)__2X]nsTGaR3<mGt7+ZbH&},Te;[Ek-&h7v4 non-Guest band 5.0GHz SSID = )P[WcYQQBwtSb;Q'YZ3HQTh=H)__2X]nsTGaR3<mGt7+ZbH&},Te;[Ek-&h7v4 Guest band   Further, you decide you need to keep the 5.0GHz SSID the same because your guest users / visitors use that SSID   How do you propose we go about making this work in a Single SSID world???? are we really going to go into the apps for all of the 2.4GHz devices to RESET and keystroke the following for each device:  )P[WcYQQBwtSb;Q'YZ3HQTh=h)__2X]nsTGaR3<mGt7+ZbH&},Te;[Ek-&h7v4   At 3 minutes per device * 100 devices, that's 300 minutes or 5 hours.  Meanwhile on average 150 devices are not available during the the 5 hour period.  Does this make any sense at all?  I don't think so. 

Converting from a non-mesh router is a pain in the butt.  End of discussion.  Oh and to say legacy routers, please note that non-mesh routers today still support multiple SSID's.

It looks like amplifi's mesh has solved the problem, even though most mesh systems on the market today use the Netgear approach of a single SSID:

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010201854-Configuring-SSIDs

I should add that another problem with the workaround in this forum for splitting rSSID's does not allow separate passwords for 2.4 and 5.0 bands.  It never occurred to me when I bought the Orbi that this would be a limitation, i.e. 1 SSID, so I learned the hard way.  My next mesh system WILL allow separate SSID's and separate passcodes.  

And if readers here don't need separate SSID's then just go away, we don't need you telling US that we don't need or want separate SSID's.

@schumaku wrote:

@adevero wrote:

If you do a search for wirlesss security cameras and look deeply into the specs, most of them run on 2.4 Ghz.

Not sure what you try to explain here.

Orbi, Orbi Pro, Orbi AX, Orbi Pro WiFi 6, and Nighthawk WiFi do support both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz - and run 2.4 GHz devices perfectly well, equally well dual-band capable devices, and 5 GHz devices only, just in case. No need to dig deeply into the Orbi spec to find this information, too.

Ridiculous is ONLY what ever IoJ which insist the mobile must be on 2.4 GHz for discovery, as this is is at no point required! 

The typical discovery and config IoJ process is this:

• Connct to the network (SSID) you want the IoJ to be connected to.
  • The discovery app does store the current active SSID and the key,
  • briefly disconnecting from the wireless system,
  • searching for some vendor specific hidden SSID of a default devices,
  • connect in a more more or less secure to the IoJ,
  • push the SSID and key to the IoJ,
  • finally return to the wireless again, waiting to see the newly cofigured device will become visible.

It's completely irrelevant to which radio and band the mobile is connecting on a mesh system, regardless from the vendor - as the all radios connect to the very same network, and the app will find the newly configured IoJ on the one and only network.

For a reason, there is NO choice to choose a band to use on most dual-band wireless devices, like most users mobile phones.

At least my information is not as wrong and misleading like the fake nonsense stated here again.

Amazing is that not single IoJ maker with an app requesting to "connect to 2.4 GHz" had joined the discussion here. Those who have removed or allowed to skip the useless check (except for legacy routers with band specific SSIDs) have happy customers again.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 829 of 854
KVR
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, so tried to follow your (excellent) instructions, but when run the telnet 192.168.1.1, it asks for an ID and Password. I tried putting in the ID/PW that I use to log into my orbi, but it says that's not correct. Help! How do I either find, or set a telnet ID and PW?

Thanks!

KR

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 830 of 854
schumaku
Guru

@madhatter wrote:

some people are STUCK on the idea that the problem with IoT devices is not the router mfrs fault and is the fault of the IoT vendor.  But that's not the only reason for allowing for dual SSID's. 

Nothing does change this.... I was one of the people nagged WiFi vendors to ALLOW a single SSID, beeing on routers, beeing on wireless extenders, ... And I understand what and who was riding far to many customers into the initial problem. The problem started there with the WiFi industry not understanding basic network concepts. It's almost like the sales people which have sold yet another router when they wanted bettwr WiFi in a different part of the house. And again the industry which started to design crazy WiFi extenders (with MAC translation to make things even worse). And the stupid idea making everything wireless. ...---... 

@madhatter wrote:

Converting from a non-mesh router is a pain in the butt.  End of discussion.  Oh and to say legacy routers, please note that non-mesh routers today still support multiple SSID's.

Perfectly aware of many people have lost contol over their own network. Again, if it takes up to five minutes the IoT system is to complex to deal with. And that's again not Netgear's mistake if changing a simple SSID, changing to a new password, does take days on such a network. 

Can't wait for the people crying that thier wonderful expensive IoT can't work because they have enabled WPA2-PSK and WPA3-SAE (commonly designated WPA2-/WPA3-Personal).

And we already hear people crying thier IoT stuff can't connect since they have the wonderful fast WiFi 6 now ... and the old wireless clients struggle over the much more complex WiFi beacon. Even major brand and not to old smart phone moels are affected....

@madhatter wrote:

It looks like amplifi's mesh has solved the problem, even though most mesh systems on the market today use the Netgear approach of a single SSID:

Netgear does also allow multiple SSIDs on the Orbi Pro, on the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 (lack of enough practical experience I can't tell you if these can be mapped to a single network), on all Insight Wireless Access Points, ... 

Hey do understand where you are coming from!

Message 831 of 854
CrimpOn
Sensei

@KVR wrote:

I have the same issue, so tried to follow your (excellent) instructions, but when run the telnet 192.168.1.1, it asks for an ID and Password. I tried putting in the ID/PW that I use to log into my orbi, but it says that's not correct. Help! How do I either find, or set a telnet ID and PW?

The credentials for telnet are the same as for the Orbi web interface: "admin" and the administrative password.

Note that this is totally different from the Orbi WiFi SSID/password, which I would call "connect to" rather than "log into".  Telnet has no facility for displaying the password as it is entered, so my guess is there is at least one character that was entered incorrectly.

I love my Orbi.
Message 832 of 854
KVR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I was able to log in after I realized I was mis-reading the PW, but changing the SSID via telnet didn't help, and didn't display 2 SSIDs in my Orbi dashboard, even though telnet showed 2 different SSIDs. So I set it back to the way it was. The good news is that after trying to get my 2.4G devices to connect, I finally tried setting the 2.4G channel to "automatic" in the router (it had been working fine with a manual channel setting before the upgrade), and that fixed the problem. But I'm happy to have re-learned how to use telnet :-)

Message 833 of 854
CrimpOn
Sensei

@KVR wrote:

Well, I was able to log in after I realized I was mis-reading the PW, but changing the SSID via telnet didn't help, and didn't display 2 SSIDs in my Orbi dashboard,

That will never happen. Splitting SSID's is a hack that Netgear has never endorsed. People have been doing it for years. Sometimes new firmware comes out and the hack no longer works. Then the howls begin, "How DARE Netgear do this to me!!!!"  The Orbi dashboard displays what Orbi thinks is the only SSID.

I love my Orbi.
Message 834 of 854
madhatter
Apprentice

The 2 SSID's don't show up in the dashboard, even when they are separately transmitting.  

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 835 of 854
cblaze22
Tutor

I had a dual channel for two years doing this setup, however upgrading to the new firmware has been causing drops in 2.7.  I went to 2.5 also and drops keep happening.  I cant rememer my original firmware but it must of not had an issue with dual channel but it seems the later firmwares do.  

Message 836 of 854
dhoule
Aspirant

Thanks for that, I was wondering if newer firmware could be stopping this solution from working.  Sounds like that might be the case.

Message 837 of 854
ttb
Tutor
Tutor

Before Orbi, I had a dual band router (I think Linksys E4200) with a number of connected devices including a IP NVR with multiple IP cameras. I wanted to add a WiFi camera to my workshop (+-100ft from house), so I purchased a compatible 2.4 gb WiFi camera. I added the camera to Linksys (via smartphone app) and it worked fine close to the house, but failed in the workshop because it was too far from the router.

From the lit and ads, I decided to "upgrade" to an Orbi with one Orbi satellite to expand my coverage. Removed Linksys and installed the Orbi, satellite, NVR, and mounted the WiFi camera in the workshop and GREAT, all worked fine.

A few months ago, I needed a second WiFi camera in the yard. So I purchased another exactly the same as the first WiFi camera and I could not get Orbi to recognize it. Tried most of the procedures in these posts. WHAT is strange, the first WiFi 2.4gh camera in the workshop STILL works fine with the Orbi and all the upgraded firmware.

So returning to Linksys router, installing the second WiFi camera, and then going back to the Orbi may be a solution. But to risky for now and may generate more problems especially since the NVR manufacturer  went out of business a couple of months ago and all support ceased March 1, 2021.

Message 838 of 854
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't turn down the power output of the 5G radio and turn OFF all RBS, leave the RBR online only and walk your setup mobile device out to a distance to where it only connects to the 2.4Ghz radio is not working, then use the older 2.4Ghz wifi router in AP mode as a quick setup configuration using same SSID name and PW as the orbi long enough to get your new camera connected, once it's connected there then just turn OFF the old router and the new camera should auto connect to the Orbi wifi signal. It should be good from here on out. 

@ttb wrote:

Before Orbi, I had a dual band router (I think Linksys E4200) with a number of connected devices including a IP NVR with multiple IP cameras. I wanted to add a WiFi camera to my workshop (+-100ft from house), so I purchased a compatible 2.4 gb WiFi camera. I added the camera to Linksys (via smartphone app) and it worked fine close to the house, but failed in the workshop because it was too far from the router.

From the lit and ads, I decided to "upgrade" to an Orbi with one Orbi satellite to expand my coverage. Removed Linksys and installed the Orbi, satellite, NVR, and mounted the WiFi camera in the workshop and GREAT, all worked fine.

A few months ago, I needed a second WiFi camera in the yard. So I purchased another exactly the same as the first WiFi camera and I could not get Orbi to recognize it. Tried most of the procedures in these posts. WHAT is strange, the first WiFi 2.4gh camera in the workshop STILL works fine with the Orbi and all the upgraded firmware.

So returning to Linksys router, installing the second WiFi camera, and then going back to the Orbi may be a solution. But to risky for now and may generate more problems especially since the NVR manufacturer  went out of business a couple of months ago and all support ceased March 1, 2021.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 839 of 854
LucasRey
Aspirant

Betreff: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Thank you very much, I can confirm this guide works also on latest firmware (RBR50+2RBS50): V2.7.2.104

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

EDIT: As side effect I have guest network SSID even if in configuration is off. 

I disable SSID broadcast and now there is no guest network listed on devices.

BTW, Enabling guest from GUI it doesnt work, so be carefull if you need it. 

Message 840 of 854
Tymok
Aspirant

config set wla_2nd_ssid="Your_5GHz_Network_Name"

Message 841 of 854
liu88534
Aspirant

Does RBK852 can achieve 2.4G and 5G separate

Message 842 of 854
FURRYe38
Guru

No.

@liu88534 wrote:

Does RBK852 can achieve 2.4G and 5G separate

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.1/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 843 of 854
Skwisgaar11
Aspirant

Just a heads up: With RBR20 & RBS20 on firmware v2.5.1.16, none of the solutions described in the previous 30+ pages are working for me. I'm a professional developer with a lot of *nix experience. I tried:

• setting wifison-monitor_stop=1, wla_ssid=, wla_2nd_ssid=, etc.
  • Commenting lines in /sbin/wifison-monitor.sh
  • using `uci` to set wireless config along with a S99 startup script

One thing I think is happening is that after the device is rebooted, any changes I've made to files are gone and replaced with the originals. I believe the originals are stored in the /rom folder which is mounted as read-only. Once I discovered that, I decided it's not worth fighting this device anymore and I hooked up an old router as a secondary for my 2.4GHz IoT devices.

My advice to others is to stop trying to hack this system because obviously they are working hard to prevent any of that. Disappointing that Netgear has given us a hard time in this regard, and I will remember this next time I have to buy a router.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 844 of 854
Tymok
Aspirant

It looks like the only solution is to set up a separate ssid for 2,4 ghz by creating a guest network ssid and switching of ip isolation. If I’m not mistaken, guest networks run only on 2.4 ghz.
Your primary network will still be a one name dual band network, but you can force the 2.4 clients to connect to the guest ssid
Message 845 of 854
CrimpOn
Sensei

@Tymok wrote:
It looks like the only solution is to set up a separate ssid for 2,4 ghz by creating a guest network ssid and switching of ip isolation. If I’m not mistaken, guest networks run only on 2.4 ghz.
Your primary network will still be a one name dual band network, but you can force the 2.4 clients to connect to the guest ssid

Not true.  The Guest WiFi network also supports both 2.4G and 5G bands.

I love my Orbi.
Message 846 of 854
rdagelen
Aspirant

I have Netgear Orbi RBR-40 Mesh Router w two satelites. There is no way to set guest to 2.4.  I tried and guest comes through as 5ghz.  Original firmware had capability to set seperate ssid for 2.4 and 5 ghz.  Netgear (without consideration) took away that ability in subsequent update. Not sure when. I didn't notice it until it became a problem.  Too late now! I'll never buy Netgear again as well unless they reverse their decision on this issue.

I am amazed that Netgear does not seem to monitore this forum and offer a solution.

Ya!  I', Pissed off !!!

Message 847 of 854
madhatter
Apprentice

As I mentioned before, this pronlem is not unique to Netgear, a lot of the mesh routers implement SSID's this way.  I think the issue is that it's not publicized in the literature and you don't find out about it until you go to implement (which in my case was 4 months after I bought it) and by then your return privilege may have expired.  But, like you, my next router will be something that supports separate SSID's.  In the meantime, I'll just stick with Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30.  It's not ideal, in that I still can't separate out my Guest SSID's but it's the best solution I have come up with on the RBK50.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 848 of 854
Tymok
Aspirant

I had to get a new repeater to replace my rbs20 satellite. The satellite slows down to 72Mbps on 5GHz so I got an netgear ex7500 repeater and it works fine. 

I tried to replace my orbi router with a r8500 and get it work with ex7500. Tried a couple of r8500 routers and one r8000. the connection wasn't stable, I returned to my orbi rbr40.

concluding: for me orbi is the best stable mesh router satellite system. If I'd need a stand alone router, I'd get a linksys.

maybe in the near future I'll test my ex7500 with a linksys wrt ac1900.

Message 849 of 854
ttb
Tutor
Tutor

Concur with Skwisgaar11 (Aspirant) posted a new reply in Orbi on 2021-05-05 06:47 PM.

Move on to another alternative.

Message 850 of 854
Top Contributors
Announcements