Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

jay3702
Aspirant

I've had it with this struggle. I have solved my own problem by reverting the Orbi routers to the factory configuration, and resurrecting my old router in a bridged configuration. I have the Orbi set to my primary SSID and the old router (a Netgear WRT1900ACS) dedicated to the 2.4 Ghz network. I set the Orbi to not broadcast the SSID on the 2.4 Ghz band, and also set the power to 25%. This seems to have solved my original need to separate the SSIDs, which was to prevent my Amazon Fire Sticks from connecting to the 2.4 GHz access point. It also solved a new issue with one of my laptops which started with the router firmware version V2.7.2.104.

The new problem I encountered with the split SSID configuration posted in the thread is that at least one of the satellites is broadcasting both SSIDs on both bands (!). The net result is that one of my laptops ( (my wife's) will not connect to the 5G band in the living room, and it's connection is ... IDK, funky? on the 2G band. My laptop is fine. Both are Lenovo laptops. I tried redoing the split SSID configuration, but no joy. So, I resorted to the solution described above. BTW - I needed to not only "forget" the previous wifi configuration on her computer, but also reboot before it would stop connecting to the 2.4 GHz band on the primary SSID (stubborn lil bugger!). 

If I get any anomolous connection problems, I'll try completely disabling the 2.4 Ghz radio Even though it's yet another unsupported configuration, I think it's less likely to have side effects.

Failing that, I will completely abandon mesh routers as all of them have the problem of devices occasionally preferring the 2.4 Ghz band over the 5 Ghz band.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 851 of 875
Tymok
Aspirant

Lenovo wifi issues are common.
I had some with my yoga too.
Unstable WiFi, lost pings, no connection to my iPhone hotspot etc. Even problems with vpn connections. I remember that it took a couple of days to find a solution., lot of updates, driver reverting and so on. Finally I found a patch.

Now my wife uses a yoga, she’s cable connected to a Cisco 2960 switch. Had to change/force/ the port speed on the switch to 10Mbps to make the bloody thing work.

Never ever Lenovo again
Message 852 of 875
alo91191
Aspirant

Rif.: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Hi,

Is there a way to separate SSIDs that works with Orbi RBK752?

Message 853 of 875
rdagelen
Aspirant

Rif.: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

No

Message 854 of 875
Pmw0813
Aspirant

I need to have one SSID for my 5 GHZ and another for the 2.4GHZ.  There seems to be directions in a response, but they are buried - any chance someone can paste them in the reply to this?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 855 of 875

@Pmw0813 wrote:

I need to have one SSID for my 5 GHZ and another for the 2.4GHZ. 

Why?

It can be easier to deal with that than to "remake" your network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 856 of 875
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Pmw0813 wrote:

I need to have one SSID for my 5 GHZ and another for the 2.4GHZ. 

Why?

Because of the industry forced people to have two different SSIDs on the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz radios for about two decades. Now it's difficult to get rid of old behaviours 8-)

I'm still convinced there is virtually no reason for this "feature" - except of laziness avoiding to reconfigure a quickly grown number of IoT's and other legacy wireless devices on a network.

Message 857 of 875
rdagelen
Aspirant

Please don’t waste our time with snide remarks if your not going to help. It only shows your ignorance and lack of consideration.
Message 858 of 875
schumaku
Guru

@rdagelen wrote:
Please don’t waste our time with snide remarks if your not going to help. It only shows your ignorance and lack of consideration.

Look, this thread and the is now almost four years old with several hundered posts.

I'm neither Netgear, and as a user don't I consider to promote the idea turning back the WiFi usability to an industry standard from decades ago.  The de-facto mesh system standard is having one SSID for connecting to one network. Works best for >99.99% of the use case. The other <0.01% might require some fixes on the wireless client sides. There _are_ reasons why Netgear (and other leading Mesh vendors like Google) have set this one SSID for one network as the de-facto standard.

Where possible, e.g. for the Nighthawk Mesh MK8x (MR80/MS80, Tri-band), I'm happy to help with some potential workarounds -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Mesh-System/MR60-How-do-I-split-my-wireless-network-into-... 

Message 859 of 875
Pmw0813
Aspirant

I tried this and I dont think it works on the latest Orbi.  I followed the directions and it takes, and even if I check the info via Telnet it shows correct, but when I look for SSIDs - I am only seeing the one for 2.4.

Is there a way to make this work with more current BIOS?

Message 860 of 875
LucasRey
Aspirant

@Pmw0813 Which model? I have RBK53 (1 router RBR50, 2 satellites RBS50) with latest firmware 2.7.2.104, and it works perfect. Don't use procedure from OP, instead, check my post there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 861 of 875
madhatter
Apprentice

I have the separate SSID's working on my RBR50, 1xRBS50 and 2xRBS40 with Router Firmware Version
V2.3.5.30.  Right now I'm frozen at this firmware as I think it may be the last firmware to work properly.  Here are the steps I took:

telnet in
list all the config settings that I can set SSID's and then trial and error to figure out which one was which.
config show | grep ssid

config set wla1_ssid="CHROME-5G"
config set wlg1_ssid="CHROME"

(where "CHROME..." is your SSID of choice

config commit

reboot
Now I get my main network SSID and 2 separate guest networks.

NOTE TO HATERS

I was stupid and didn't realize that some mesh systems don't allow multiple SSID's.  But that doesn't mean I don't want or need them,  it's just that I was past my return privilege and I'm stuck with these mesh units.  My next router WILL support multiple SSIDs.  So don't waste your time telling me that I neither want or need separate SSID's, we've all heard that before.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 862 of 875
madhatter
Apprentice

if I read the post you reference below, your guest SSID is not working,  On my setup with Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30 theguest SSID does work, but it can't be split between 5.0 and 2.4 frequencies with separate guest SSID's.  So basically I have 

2 non-guest SSIDs: 1 for 5GHz and 1 for 2.4 GHz

1 guest SSID that handles both frequencies like a regular mesh system

@LucasRey wrote:

@Pmw0813 Which model? I have RBK53 (1 router RBR50, 2 satellites RBS50) with latest firmware 2.7.2.104, and it works perfect. Don't use procedure from OP, instead, check my post there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 863 of 875
LucasRey
Aspirant

@madhatter Maybe downgrading to 2.3.5.30 could solve my guest ssid issue, but I don't need guest network, so I didn't spend much time to analyze why it didn't work for me. 

Message 864 of 875
schumaku
Guru

@madhatter wrote:

NOTE TO HATERS

No hate here.

Just grief that mid 2021 there are still IoT makers requiring this "connect to 2.4 GHz WiFi" nonsense, and that community members need to suggest using outdated, vulnerable firmware.

@madhatter wrote:

My next router WILL support multiple SSIDs.

We're in the happy position that in the area typical Internet connections and my customers are almost forced to use the ISP CPE for triple-play reasons (especially to provide the in-house two wire POTS). The router market broke down almost completely except for SMB security appliances and some geeks on the cable TV operator network. We deploy Netgear SMB (among one other brand) WAC and WAX with Insight management where we could bring up multiple SSIDs, if required band-specific ones. The irony? Except for testing purposes and during migration phases, we could not adjust any "need" or "must have it" for band-specific SSIDs. All production WiFi - from the 7 bed alp hut (battery powered, with solar and micro hydropower plant, all pure IP managed with a lot of legacy controllers) to the 1500+ user SMB sites - run on a SSIDs spanning all available bands.

Oh there are some pre-existing sites with Orbi and Orbi Pro we took the management and operation responsibility.

Now please explain the interested reader about the absolute killer argument we have missed.

Message 865 of 875
FURRYe38
Guru

Also for the users that seem to need separate SSIDs, Its you responsibility to do diligence and research first in wifi MESH systems to see what is officially offered before you buy something, IoT or WiFi MESH. Just because something doesn't have what you wanted doesn't mean it's up to the Mfr to make it happen a whim or a users needs just because something doesn't seem to work for you. Don't blame the router mfr. Not everyone has problems using single SSIDs either. 

If some IoT mfrs would make there products more compatible with MESH systems and single SSID considering both radios are on the SAME network, wouldn't be a need much for separate SSIDs or discussion about this. 

Enjoy your endevours. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 866 of 875

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Its you responsibility to do diligence and research first in wifi MESH systems to see what is officially offered before you buy something, IoT or WiFi MESH.

I was waiting for someone to say that.

"I just bought this car. It has got only three wheels. How can I add another one?"

"Just bought this plane ticket. It says it takes me to Australia. I want to go to China. What's wrong with this airline?"

In business, it is known as due diligence.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 867 of 875
madhatter
Apprentice

ok, right I'm an idiot ... but where in the product marketing literature does it say there's only 1 SSID ... please send me links to that info

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 868 of 875
rdagelen
Aspirant

No… In business it’s called “Planned Obsolescence”! It’s what keeps our land fills booming🤮
Message 869 of 875
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50.pdf

"One WiFi Network.
Enjoy the convenience of a single
WiFi name for your whole home."

All there in BLUE and WHITE. Right on the first page. Smiley Surprised

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 870 of 875
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah yes, lets blame the mfrs for the buyers lack of due diligence and impulsive buying decisions. Smiley Tongue

I wanna make changes to something thats not in the design, nor supported and long past development and manufacturing. Smiley LOL

@michaelkenward wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Its you responsibility to do diligence and research first in wifi MESH systems to see what is officially offered before you buy something, IoT or WiFi MESH.

I was waiting for someone to say that.

"I just bought this car. It has got only three wheels. How can I add another one?"

"Just bought this plane ticket. It says it takes me to Australia. I want to go to China. What's wrong with this airline?"

In business, it is known as due diligence.

Message 871 of 875

Dont take Netgear's word for it.

What Is Whole Home Mesh WiFi

Mesh WiFi or Whole Home WiFi systems consists of a main router that connects directly to your modem, and a series of satellite modules, or nodes, placed around your house for full WiFi coverage. They are all part of a single wireless network and share the same SSID and password, unlike traditional WiFi routers.

With luck, no one from Netgear will notice this link to the competition.

Just another user.

Message 872 of 875
FURRYe38
Guru

Another competators take on MESH systems that include a single SSID:

https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1045875

Ok so we don't get into trouble with the parents:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061555/What-is-EasyMesh-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-NETGEAR-Mesh-WiFi-6-S...

Smiley Wink

Message 873 of 875

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061555/What-is-EasyMesh-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-NETGEAR-Mesh-WiFi-6-S...

That one is particularly interesting:

EasyMesh is a Wi-Fi Certified standard that makes mesh WiFi hardware compatible regardless of the manufacturer.

Anyone who knows about standards will tell you that it is more than your life's worth to break them. (Bloody lawyers.)

Perhaps someone can find the standard and point to the bit that covers separate SSIDs.

Just another user.

Message 874 of 875
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems like the router mfrs chose to go with what is easiest and avoids less hassle for development and troubleshoot support. Also in mind that for most average home users, they just want something easy and something that works. 

All this is based off of Smart Connect which first appeared back in 2012. Back then you had the choice to disable it on thoughs non MESH routers. I believe it still the same for NON MESH routers. When it comes to MESH, it's different. Where Mfrs seems to do it there way and probably for good reasons. Wifi and MESH is a complex technology. Just can't turn it off. Smiley Embarassed

@michaelkenward wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That one is particularly interesting:

EasyMesh is a Wi-Fi Certified standard that makes mesh WiFi hardware compatible regardless of the manufacturer.

Anyone who knows about standards will tell you that it is more than your life's worth to break them. (Bloody lawyers.)

Perhaps someone can find the standard and point to the bit that covers separate SSIDs.

Message 875 of 875
Top Contributors
Announcements