Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

No theories here, just simple facts.

A 2.4 GHz IoT will re-connect to the SSID (and security) configured following a Orbi or IoT reboot, no matter if there is also a 5 GHz on air with the same name.

If the (recommended? No, just a community proposal!) hack includes temporarily setting different SSID for the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz band, to assist with the config of some crazy discovery utility IoG. Set the temporary SSID wisely - especially for the 2.4 band - as the IoT will be configured to that SSID. With this hack reverted on a Orbi reboot (or update), if using a different 2.4 GHz SSID the IoT won't find the SSID because it's not on air again. And this is what happened to your devices.

Message 476 of 674
Highlighted

@soundersfc wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

This does again not make any sense.

The one-time setup recommended here does not survive a power or router outage. Sorry.

That the workaround is successful elsewhere confirms that what you see is not a unversal problem. I would investigate your network for other issues.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 477 of 674
Highlighted
Star

I haven't tried it but it looks like the function to merge the 2.4 and 5 ghz ssid in the recent versions can be disabled by entering the following at the command prompt:

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

config commit

Note that disables the monitor process that makes sure both the fronthaul and backhaul connections are up and running. Use at your own risk.

Message 478 of 674
Highlighted

@yata001 wrote:

I haven't tried it but it looks like the function to merge the 2.4 and 5 ghz ssid in the recent versions can be disabled by entering the following at the command prompt:

config commit

Note that disables the monitor process that makes sure both the fronthaul and backhaul connections are up and running. Use at your own risk.

How do you reverse it?

set wifison-monitor_stop=0?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 479 of 674
Highlighted
Star

To re-enable the wifi monitor and disable the split ssid, run the following:

config commit

Then restart the router (it's probably sufficent to kill the wifison-monitor.sh process since the script should restart itself but restarting is easier).

Message 480 of 674
Highlighted
Star

Opps. The commands should be

config set wifison-monitor_stop=0
config commit
Message 481 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for this solution! I can verify that it works with the Orbi 3-pack from Costco. They list it as Model RBK53S-100NAS The model number on the router module is RBR50v2.

I followed the instructions in the original post, and I picked up three important hints from this (long) thread that made it finally work. It did not go well the first two times I tried this. 

The first hint is that white space is significant on the router's command line. That means that these two commands don't produce the same result:

config set wl_ssid=FooBar

config set wl_ssid = FooBar

The first one works, the second one doesn't, and it doesn't complain or give you any hint that it was a bad command. If you have a space (or any other punctuation) in the ssid name, you need quotes:

config set wl_ssid="Foo Bar"

but no spaces around the equal sign.

The second hint is that you may need to repeat these commands on the satellites as well as the router. I say "may" because it's possible that the router config will propagate to the satellites after a while, but I didn't wait long enough to be sure. I executed the commands by opening 3 simultaneous putty sessions, one to each device. You get the satellite's IP address from the Connected Devices list. Watch that list because their IP addresses change (twice) after you update the configuration. I pasted all of the commands, except for the reboot command, into each window so that the commands would all get executed in quick succession. I was going to do the same thing with the reboot command, but as soon as I entered it on the router, all three devices rebooted immediately.

Third hint: cycle the power on the satellites. When the router reboots after a configuration change, it seems to have trouble finding the satellites. I cycled the power on both satellites, and then they came right up. Be patient at this stage though, it seems to take quite a while for the system to settle down.

Now this mesh system works perfectly for me. It's pretty awesome! I really can't understand why this configuration is not officially supported...

Message 482 of 674
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

There is a new custom Orbi FW, which would enable separate SSIDs in the near future.  If you're desperate and willing to load this Orbi custom firmware, you're in for a wild ride.  Good luck!

"Yet another issue with Orbi is the same name for 2.4GHz and
5GHz SSIDs. I do not like it (personal preferences) and it is
problematic for me during testing. So I'll allow different
SSIDs in the next release..."
Message 483 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Betreff: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Since I’ve update my orbi to the latest firmware V2.5.1.8 that way isn’t working anymore. The orbi takes the second ssid for a couple of minutes, but kills the wla_ssid the afterwards.

Is there a solution available?
Message 484 of 674
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Message 485 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nothing I have that connects only to 2.4 GHz will connect... Why does such an expensive networking not provide an easy way to do this?

@michaelkenward wrote:

@soundersfc wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

The one-time setup recommended here does not survive a power or router outage. Sorry.

That the workaround is successful elsewhere confirms that what you see is not a unversal problem. I would investigate your network for other issues.

I beg to differ that it is not a universal problem

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 486 of 674
Highlighted

@Kaeflem wrote:

Nothing I have that connects only to 2.4 GHz will connect... Why does such an expensive networking not provide an easy way to do this?

@michaelkenward wrote:

@soundersfc wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

I beg to differ that it is not a universal problem

Universal = everybody, everywhere with everything.

That simply is not the case, unless you have a new definition of universal.

@plemans has been trying to compile a list of IoT devices that are so badly designed and implemented that they are beyond redemption. The last I heard it was a very short list. But there is no accounting for people who find it hard to follow simple advice.

Just another user.

Message 487 of 674
Highlighted

Have you tried reverting back to stock and temporarily disabling the 5ghz ssid broadcast while connecting these 2.4ghz only devices?
Message 488 of 674
Highlighted
Star

I can confirm that all of the required information is already in this thread and confirmed as working on the latest firmware ( ver 2.5.1.8) for the RBK50 pack ( 1 x RBR50 router and 1 x satellite RBS50):

Thanks to all those who contributed. Here it is alll in one place again!

Apply all of the following commands to BOTH devices at the same time via telnet sessions. You can enable Telnet for each device by ticking the Telnet check box in the debug page for each unit. http://YOUR DEVICE IP ADDRESS GOES HERE /debug.htm

Before you try to change the SSIDS run the below command on each device. This turns off automatic merging of the two SSID's back in to one SSID after a reboot. (This is the most common issue on the latest firmware).

config commit

(If you ever need to reverse this setting use the command > config set wifison-monitor_stop=0)

The commands below will then set the the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks to the names you want:

config set wl_ssid="YOUR SSID 2.4Ghz NAME"
config set wla_ssid="YOUR SSID 5Ghz NAME"
config commit

The commands below check the SSID names have been set as required and apply a reboot when ready.

config get wl_ssid
config get wla_ssid
reboot

Only reboot the RBR50. Switch the satellite RBS50 off once you have issued the command and dont bring it back online until the RBR50 has fully rebooted and settled and you can see both SSIDS's

Again...  Make sure you have commited all of the commnds on both devices before issuing the reboot command to reboot the RBR50.

Once the RBR50 is back on line and both SSID's are availabel switch onthe sattelite RBS50 and let it settle. It will also begin advertising the new SSID's

Thats it .. your done! Enjoy using the separate networks with a nice fast 1.73Gb backhaul between them ! Smiley Happy

Message 489 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

Trying to get this to work on the RBR20 however no luck as of yet, anyone know of a workaround?

Message 490 of 674
Highlighted

@Craigyy wrote:

Trying to get this to work on the RBR20 however no luck as of yet, anyone know of a workaround?

Workaround for what?

What are you trying to achieve?

This is a long-running discussion that has meandered around a lot of territory.

Just another user.

Message 491 of 674
Highlighted

I have the hardest time getting my garage door to connect to my Orbi RBK 23. It always wanted to try to connect with the 5 GHz when it's only a 2.4 GHz device. They should've thought about legacy devices and that most of them are on 2.4 GHz and given us an option to separate or an easier way for the legacy an older devices the bear. I was on the phone with NETGEAR for two hours and they couldn't get it to work. And then I ended up spending probably 40 to 50 hours myself making adjustments and doing pairing after pairing after pairing and I finally realized that my phone was on 5 GHz so I ran out into the yard as far as I could to get onto 2.4 GHz and then ran back into the garage as fast as I could and got it to pair. Even the manufacturer didn't think it was possible. So I understand and I appreciate the values of a mesh system but I also think there should be easier ways to separate them out if need be.

God Bless

Chris〽️

Message 492 of 674
Highlighted

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:

Even the manufacturer didn't think it was possible.

This is really the heart of the problem. Too many IoT manufacturers have yet to wake up to Mesh technology.

Netgear is not the only network device maker to feel the brunt of customer criticism for something that really rests at someone else's door. Netgear cannot possibly test every IoT gadget on the market. But the people who make the stuff should test their things in basic circumstances,  including the presence of 5 GHz wifi.

There has been a lot of discussion of this around here – some of it more productive than this rambling sprawl of a conversation that generates more heat than light – and a pattern is becoming clearer.

It all tracks back to the wifi clients that people use to set up these things.

The first move is to see if you really do need to put the wifi app on to 2.4 GHz. Often then IoT device will not work on anything else, but the app can still work at 5 GHz despite dire warnings.

If that fails, then many people find that they can simply temporarily disable the SSID broadcast for 5 GHz while they set up their new toys. They may have to tell the app to forget about its past connection at 5 GHz, but do that and they can proceed as expected.

Another temporarily workaround is to reduce the 5 GHz strength as low as possible. which seems to have the same effect.

Even if that fails all is not lost. One avid investigator, @plemans, has uncovered hidden advice on some IoT makers' web sites. Things like turning of mobile data, believe it or not

@plemans has also gone beyond the call of duty and has been buying up inexpensive toys to see which will and won't work. They have found that they can even get seriously awkward stuff to play ball.

It seems that there is little, if anything, that is impossible to configure. And if something really won't work, usually cheap junk far the Far East, then it is probably a good idea to buy an alternative.

You don't say what your devices are, so there is no way of knowing if they have played with your gadgets.

It is a shame that investigating this falls on the shoulders of fellow users. It may not be Netgear's fault that this problem exists, but it could do a much better job of supporting its own customers with KnowledgeBase articles, for example.

Just another user.

Message 493 of 674
Highlighted
Master

@NightKITTEN321 wrote:

I have the hardest time getting my garage door to connect to my Orbi RBK 23. It always wanted to try to connect with the 5 GHz when it's only a 2.4 GHz device.

I certainly feel your frustration.  As this situation is likely to come up again, a couple of suggestions:

Although it is obviously impossible ("try to connect with the 5 GHz"), there could be something to that IF the setup app is passing the actual MAC address of the 5GHz Orbi radio to the garage door controller.  What is more likely is that the setup app has detected that the phone is connected at 5GHz and simply refuses to go any further.  We simply do not know what is going on because the manufacturers do not share what their app is actually doing.  In truth, they may not even know.  They may have purchased "a solution" when they bought the WiFi chip to put in their product and have no idea what the software is doing.

A solution that is easier than running out into the yard (although I like the image) is to temporarily stop the Orbi from broadcasting SSID on the 5GHz channel (on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, WiFi Setting), tell the phone to "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then select from the list of available WiFi networks (Orbi), and connect.  This time, it should connect at 2.4GHz, which can be verified on the Attached Devices screen.  After the setup is completed, go back and turn the SSID broadcast back on.

Another wrinkle that just came up with the Wyze smart plug was to turn off LTE data on the phone.  Apparently when the Android phone connects to the smart plug WiFi, it loses internet connectivity and immediately turn to LTE data, which screws up the connection.  I was dumbfounded when I read that on the Wyze web site, but did it and the app worked immediately.

Could you please share the brand and model of garage door controller?

I love my Orbi.
Message 494 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

And yet, here we are in this thread where a very valid solution works for many of us. What is that solution? Changing the name of the two different bands.

It works, it's reliable, it survives IoT devices rebooting, the Orbi rebooting (until recent firm-wares). It "just works".

The suggestion that we should all go out and buy brand new IoT devices to work specifically with Netgear is not even worth addressing it's so rediculous.

To your point, Netgear should help their customers out here more with KB articles and I personally am of the opinion they should allow the name changes of the seperate SSIDs for those who are in the situation that everyone on this thread is.  If you go to the Orbi Redit sub, this is also one of the most common issues people are running into, yet there again, is a solution that has worked for all of us.

With this (hack) in place, I went from about to throw my Orbi in the trash to loving it, as it now works as I would have expected when I purchased it.

Message 495 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

Just an FYI that none of these solutions work for the RBR20 model. I've been following this thread since day one and I've basically given up hope.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 496 of 674
Highlighted

@cmgizzi wrote:

Just an FYI that none of these solutions work for the RBR20 model.

Which IoT device is this?

Just another user.

Message 497 of 674
Highlighted
Guide

Just any device in general. Everything I own connects without issue, but there are heavier bandwidth devices that I'd prefer running exclusively on the 5ghz network. As far as I've seen there is no work around for the Orbi RBR20 model. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 498 of 674
Highlighted
Apprentice

Yeah, I had this problem with my TV. It connected fine, but despite having 1G internet, I would get constant buffering on Netflix, Hulu and Prime Video. And speed check would show a paltry 4-10 MBps. When I seperate out the SSIDs and connect my TV directly to the 5G, I'm getting north of 100Mbps and zero lag ever.

Unlike some of my IoT devices had an impossible time connecting to the dual SSID default.

Message 499 of 674
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the new AX6000 - RBK853 system (RBR850 and 2 RBS850); the RBR850 is connected to my R8000 router (w/ wifi turned off completely); it is important to mention that the RBR850 is in AP mode only (Access Point) b/c it is receiving DHCP via the R8000 router.

The current firmware is 3.2.9.2

I would love to use the above commands to split out the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi

Would the commands work on my devices?  If so, how and where do I enable Telnet/debug mode on the devices?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you,

dsy

My Setup (Cable Optimum Online 400Mbps/50Mbps)>Arris1683>Netgear R8000 Router>Orbi RBR850 (AP Mode) and 2 RBS850 Satellites
Message 500 of 674