How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Separation of SSID on Orbi AX isn't support. There you can enable telnet under \debug.htm. Though know that the Orbi AC commands don't work for Orbi AX.

Be sure to post in the Orbi AX forum for your RBK853 needs:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

@dsy5567 wrote:

I have the new AX6000 - RBK853 system (RBR850 and 2 RBS850); the RBR850 is connected to my R8000 router (w/ wifi turned off completely); it is important to mention that the RBR850 is in AP mode only (Access Point) b/c it is receiving DHCP via the R8000 router.

The current firmware is 3.2.9.2

I would love to use the above commands to split out the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi

Would the commands work on my devices?  If so, how and where do I enable Telnet/debug mode on the devices?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you,

dsy

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle, DST and Traffic Meter>Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 501 of 841
dsy5567
Aspirant

UGH!!! that's a total bummer in a huge way...any idea of when/if that will work down the road?

thank you,

dsy

My Setup (Cable Optimum Online 400Mbps/50Mbps)>Arris1683>Netgear R8000 Router>Orbi RBR850 (AP Mode) and 2 RBS850 Satellites
Message 502 of 841
FURRYe38
Guru

No idea or if NG will implement that. NG seems to keep one SSID under lock and key and again, is not officially supported. Orbi AX works with 1 SSID for many. Thought we do hope that NG will implement the disabling of either SSID broadcast so that those with 2.4Ghz IoT setup software can get there devices connected to Orbi AX like they did for Orbi AC. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CM1200 v2.02.03(LAG Disabled)>RBK50 v2.7.2.104(WW) Circle, DST and Traffic Meter>Enabled
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CAX80/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 503 of 841
Sherlock7269
Aspirant

Betreff: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Im working on following your instructions and everything makes sense to be except the part about doing it to BOTH devices at the same time. I started off with following the Enable Telnet part on my Desktop. Had no issues. However how do I connect to the Satellite and do the debug? I thought that maybe i just needed to hook a laptop up to the satellite via ethernet and use the same IP address and go through the same process. However Telnet was already turned on? So i was wondering if there is a seperate process i need to go through to connect to the satellite itself? 

Basically can you elaborate exactly how i would do it for the satellite itself? 

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 504 of 841
CrimpOn
Sensei

Each satellite has an IP address. The Orbi "Attached Devices" web page shows these IP addresses.
I love my Orbi.
Message 505 of 841
Reddit18
Aspirant

Hi,

I’ve been following all recent instructions:

Upgraded firmware 2.5.1.8 (both)
Telnet to RBR50 and RBS50
Config set wifison-monitor_stop=1
Config set wla_SSID=“ORBI10 5G”
Config set wla1_SSID=“ORBI10-Guest5G”
Config set wl_SSID=“ORBI10”
Config set wlg1_SSID=“ORBI10-Guest”
Config commit
Reboot

Reboot RBR50 first, keep RBS50 off
Then boot RBS50

Config get shows all SSIDs as above
Networks ORBI10 5G and ORBI10-Guest5G are not advertised

ORBI10 and ORBI10-Guest operate as dual 2.4/5GHz - a mix of devices is connected to either 2.4G or 5G

Any ideas why wlg1_SSID and wla_SSID are not advertised?

PS I have two reasons to split networks,

1 My work laptop refuses to work with dual Orbi but connects just fine to iPhone hotspot 2.4G

2 my connection to some of my 2.4G WiFi cameras is slow when I access from Orbi but works just fine when I am on cellular or someone else’s Wi-Fi outside my home
Message 506 of 841
dwood
Apprentice

@Reddit18 wrote:
Hi,

I’ve been following all recent instructions:

Upgraded firmware 2.5.1.8 (both)
Telnet to RBR50 and RBS50
Config set wla_SSID=“ORBI10 5G”
Config set wla1_SSID=“ORBI10-Guest5G”
Config set wl_SSID=“ORBI10”
Config set wlg1_SSID=“ORBI10-Guest”
Config commit
Reboot

Reboot RBR50 first, keep RBS50 off
Then boot RBS50

Config get shows all SSIDs as above
Networks ORBI10 5G and ORBI10-Guest5G are not advertised

ORBI10 and ORBI10-Guest operate as dual 2.4/5GHz - a mix of devices is connected to either 2.4G or 5G

Any ideas why wlg1_SSID and wla_SSID are not advertised?

PS I have two reasons to split networks,

1 My work laptop refuses to work with dual Orbi but connects just fine to iPhone hotspot 2.4G

2 my connection to some of my 2.4G WiFi cameras is slow when I access from Orbi but works just fine when I am on cellular or someone else’s Wi-Fi outside my home

Have you actually enabled the guest network in Web interface? It's disabled by default.

Message 507 of 841
Reddit18
Aspirant

Yes, enable and let devices see each other; devices are connected to it
Message 508 of 841
dwood
Apprentice

@Reddit18 wrote:
Yes, enable and let devices see each other; devices are connected to it

Not sure what you mean. How are devices connecting to the Guest SSID if it is not advertised?

Are you manually joining them?

i would start again. Split the home network first, make sure that works. Then enable the guest network and split that. You are trying to split all the networks at the same time. I don't think anyone posting in this thread has tried that before,so it may be you can't do them all at the same time?

Message 509 of 841
Reddit18
Aspirant

Please read my post. I have 4 networks, 2 primary (wla_SSID - not advertised and wl_SSID- advertised, a mix of 5G and 2.4g devices connected) and 2 guest (wla1_SSID not advertised, and wlg1_SSID - advertised, a mix of devices connected)

I did everything from scratch. (Return settings to what they were before, settle, repeat as described in my post). Same result.

I also reset satellites to factory. No help

I have not reset the router to factory. That’s the only thing I can think of but I hoped to get a response here first
Message 510 of 841
Reddit18
Aspirant

Tried splitting them separately. Didn’t work
Message 511 of 841
eljarviso
Luminary

Have you taken a look at Voxel's custom firmware?  i'm pretty sure you can split the networks on his via terminal and the changes survive a reboot.

Message 512 of 841
fiddlesticks
Initiate

dwood, thanks very much for the recap. Really helpful.

Apparently telnet access shuts itself off when you reboot, so no need to turn that off as a last step?

Thanks very much to khad for starting this.

Not sure if it has come up in this thread yet, but the Satellite has a status page that you can access by logging the satellite by entering its IP address in a web browser. (Look up the IP address in the Device listing in the browser.) It's another way to confirm that your SSIDs are set up properly.

Hardware Version: RBS50
    Firmware Version: V2.5.1.8

Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (2.4GHz)

Name (SSID): [2.4 Ghz SSID IS HERE]
    Channel: 6(P)+10(S)
    Region: North America
    Mode: Up to 400 Mbps
    Wireless AP: On
    Broadcast Name: On
    Security Type: WPA2-PSK[AES]

Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (5GHz)

Name (SSID): [5 Ghz SSID IS HERE]
    Channel: 36+40+44+48(P)
    Region: North America
    Mode: Up to 866.7 Mbps
    Wireless AP: On
    Broadcast Name: On
    Security Type: WPA2-PSK[AES]

Message 513 of 841
soundersfc
Apprentice

Chiming in here giving some of the flack from others.

I recently did an update that reverted my spit SSIDs to one (as intended by Orbi), so I bit the bullet and decided I would give it another ago aftera  year of split SSIDs.

Good news: It works

Bad News: I get less than half of the speed I get when I split them out.

In particular my iPhone X, my brand new Mac Book pro and my new Roku TV, all loose roughly 1/2 the speed I'm able to get when I have the SSIDs split, even if I'm just 4 ft away from the main Orbi router.

That really sucks to be honest, and only thanks to the people on this thread I'm back in a state (seperate SSIDs) where the Orbi's work great at my house and my setup.

I also have Guest network setup that is single so I can keep testing that on a whim.

Message 514 of 841
ttb
Tutor
Tutor

This process did not work on the RBR20.  Have one satelite that I unplugged. And have W10 Dell system.  What I did.

1. Firefox tab URL http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm

2. Check enabled Telnet box near bottom

3.On the W10 search box lower left screen in tray.  RUN

4. Then enter telnet 192.168.1.1

5. login UN and PW (not echoed)

6. config get wl_ssid (2 ghz ssid displayed)

7. config get wla_ssid (2 ghz ssid displayed)

8. config set wla_ssid="5ghz ssid"

9. config get wla_ssid (new 5 ghz ssid displayed)

10. config commit

11. reboot

Using iPhone to check ssid, only the 2ghz displays

Repeat steps 1 to 7 and both ssids are the same, 2 and 5 ghz.

Repeated the process several times.

I have to have the 2ghz on my iphone to link my wifi camera to my LAN. And even with the iPhone on 2ghz (which is required by the manuf), if the ssids are the same the camera tries to connect to the 5ghz (guess default for Orbi) amd camera does not move on to the 2ghz.

If I remember correctly from a year or two ago when I connect another wifi camera (same manf), I must turn of my satelite orbi, and move far enough away form the Orbi where by my iPhone only sees the 2ghz.  Then with the wifi camera at the same location, connect it to my LAN.

Netgear surly could make this all a bit simpler, allow two ssids.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 515 of 841
lmelling
Guide

Looks like Netgear changed the software. I can set them to different SSID, two networks show up, then after a bit the second one disappears and the SSIDs are mirrored again. Please give us back the flexibility. The constant drops are annoying and getting stuck on the 2.5 slow bandwith. 

Is there a workaround? I want to stay on 5G unless it is too weak to connect.

Message 516 of 841
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@lmelling wrote:

Looks like Netgear changed the software. I can set them to different SSID, two networks show up, then after a bit the second one disappears and the SSIDs are mirrored again. Please give us back the flexibility. The constant drops are annoying and getting stuck on the 2.5 slow bandwith. 

The constant drops are infuriating.  Every few minutes my mobile devices are clocking as they shift back and forth between 2.4 and 5ghz.  It had finally gotten stable and netgear decided to muck it up again.

Unless something changes, I'll be looking for a new mesh system.

Message 517 of 841
soundersfc
Apprentice

Up above @dwood mentions this command still works:

Which I believe prevents the Ori from doing the separation.

Message 518 of 841
lmelling
Guide

I found a partial solution, on my Windows PC I can set a preference for 2G or 5G, I set it to 5G. 

I still can not segregate my networks for most devices or easily attach

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

@lmelling wrote:

The constant drops are infuriating.  Every few minutes my mobile devices are clocking as they shift back and forth between 2.4 and 5ghz.  It had finally gotten stable and netgear decided to muck it up again.

Unless something changes, I'll be looking for a new mesh system.

IOT devices.

Message 519 of 841
dwood
Apprentice

Folks have already provided the correct answer to your problem, myself included, as below:

Before you try to change the SSIDS run the below command on each device. This turns off automatic merging of the two SSID's back in to one SSID after a reboot. (This is the most common issue on the latest firmware).

config set wifison-monitor_stop=1

config commit

(If you ever need to reverse this setting use the command > config set wifison-monitor_stop=0)

The above command must be run before you run the other telnet commands that separate the networks.

Look for my earlier post a couple of pages back that gives the complete instructions if you are still struggling to get it to work.

Lastly the assumption here of course is that you are using an RBR50 and satellite on the latest firmware? If not there's no guarantee it will work at alll.

My RBR50 and satellite have been rock solid with separate networks for several months without any issues at all. 

Message 520 of 841
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@soundersfc wrote:

Up above @dwood mentions this command still works:

Which I believe prevents the Ori from doing the separation.

Not sure how I missed that,   thank you!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 521 of 841
madhatter
Apprentice

I'll have to dig through the thread to find the instructions since this no longer works with v2.5.1.8 using the original instructions.   After applying the update, both ssid's are the same.  Changing it per the instructions for telnet simply reverts back to a single ssid after the reboot command.  I reverted back to v2.3.5.30 because it's 1:15am <g>

Thanks to all who are helping with this.  Has anyone figured out how to set separate passwordfor each SSID like on a regular router?

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 522 of 841
schumaku
Guru

@madhatter wrote:

this no longer works with v2.5.1.8   After applying the update, both ssid's are the same.  Changing it per the instructions for telnet simply reverts back to a single ssid after the reboot command

Have included the additional step as shwon in port 520 above?

Message 523 of 841
madhatter
Apprentice

yes, I saw that, thanks, was a little confused when you said to run this on each device?  Do you mean the router, and each satellite?  Not sure how to do that, do you telnet into each satellite?

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 524 of 841
dwood
Apprentice

@madhatter wrote:

yes, I saw that, thanks, was a little confused when you said to run this on each device?  Do you mean the router, and each satellite?  Not sure how to do that, do you telnet into each satellite?

You need to telnet to both devices individuallly. If you are using DHCP you can find the IP address of the satellite by looking at the attached devices page on the main router.

You must run all commands previously mentioned. However the most important one is this command:

Run this command  on both devices before anything else otherwise the SSID's will merge back together after a few minutes of separation. This has been mentioned many times but people seem to keep missing it.

I have had separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5Ghz on version 2.5.1.8 and its worked perfectly for many months.

Message 525 of 841
Top Contributors
Announcements