How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

jay3702
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

I've had it with this struggle. I have solved my own problem by reverting the Orbi routers to the factory configuration, and resurrecting my old router in a bridged configuration. I have the Orbi set to my primary SSID and the old router (a Netgear WRT1900ACS) dedicated to the 2.4 Ghz network. I set the Orbi to not broadcast the SSID on the 2.4 Ghz band, and also set the power to 25%. This seems to have solved my original need to separate the SSIDs, which was to prevent my Amazon Fire Sticks from connecting to the 2.4 GHz access point. It also solved a new issue with one of my laptops which started with the router firmware version V2.7.2.104.

The new problem I encountered with the split SSID configuration posted in the thread is that at least one of the satellites is broadcasting both SSIDs on both bands (!). The net result is that one of my laptops ( (my wife's) will not connect to the 5G band in the living room, and it's connection is ... IDK, funky? on the 2G band. My laptop is fine. Both are Lenovo laptops. I tried redoing the split SSID configuration, but no joy. So, I resorted to the solution described above. BTW - I needed to not only "forget" the previous wifi configuration on her computer, but also reboot before it would stop connecting to the 2.4 GHz band on the primary SSID (stubborn lil bugger!). 

If I get any anomolous connection problems, I'll try completely disabling the 2.4 Ghz radio Even though it's yet another unsupported configuration, I think it's less likely to have side effects.

Failing that, I will completely abandon mesh routers as all of them have the problem of devices occasionally preferring the 2.4 Ghz band over the 5 Ghz band.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 851 of 854
Tymok
Aspirant

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Lenovo wifi issues are common.
I had some with my yoga too.
Unstable WiFi, lost pings, no connection to my iPhone hotspot etc. Even problems with vpn connections. I remember that it took a couple of days to find a solution., lot of updates, driver reverting and so on. Finally I found a patch.

Now my wife uses a yoga, she’s cable connected to a Cisco 2960 switch. Had to change/force/ the port speed on the switch to 10Mbps to make the bloody thing work.

Never ever Lenovo again
Message 852 of 854
alo91191
Aspirant

Rif.: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

Hi,

Is there a way to separate SSIDs that works with Orbi RBK752?

Message 853 of 854
rdagelen
Aspirant

Rif.: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

No

Message 854 of 854
Top Contributors
Announcements