How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

khad
Apprentice

Re: How to set a separate SSID for the 5 GHz network on your Orbi

@Bulvine,

I have been using separate SSIDs without any problems starting a few months before I posted the instructions at the beginning of this thread. But I went to go check my firmware version just to see.

I was running 2.1.4.10. I just updated to 2.1.4.16 a couple seconds ago (which included restarting the Orbi devices). My SSIDs remain separate.

Maybe give it another go. I probably won't be able to troubleshoot the issue for you, but perhaps my experience gives you hope to persevere.

Message 176 of 852
Bulvine
Aspirant

I appreciate any assistence.  I tried a third time and it just doesnt work for me,  Are you doing it from a command prompt of Powershell (ive done both).  It just doesnt seem to save the changes.  I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the 5ghz al together so the 2.4 is all that available?  Donno ....

Message 177 of 852
Bulvine
Aspirant

How many satellites do you have?  Do you restart them after make these changes?  Would the satellites sync back changes to the router I wonder....

Message 178 of 852
khad
Apprentice

I only have the one satellite that came as a set with the router. When I followed the very same instructions I posted at the beginning of this thread, it worked for me across both router and satellite.

Message 179 of 852
Bulvine
Aspirant

I found another post that had a command line to disabled the 5ghz for a short time so I could get the outlets to connect to the 2.4.  I guess this will be my work around for this.  Thanks for your attempts on this.

Message 180 of 852
nlsephiroth
Guide

I believe that the telnet is turned off on the reboot with later firmware updates. I know that mine did after I did the restart after the SSID splits. I believe this follows best practices as you don't want the unsecure port left open, even on the internal network

Message 181 of 852
nlsephiroth
Guide

I use Putty for my telnet sessions, but I suspect you can use the command line or even the powershell, but old habits die hard for me.

Message 182 of 852
ek_shaikat
Aspirant

Hi,

When I nter the command (telnet 192.168.1.1) in Terminal on my Mac, I get: 

-bash: telnet: command not found

Could you please help?

Message 183 of 852
khad
Apprentice

Apple removed telnet in macOS High Sierra.

Check out my post #18 for one way to install it.

Message 184 of 852
Schmak01
Apprentice

Thanks for this thread, I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow.  I posted in another that the switching from 2.4 to 5 is driving me nuts.  I have a Macbook Air sitting right next to my Surface Book 2  and the Mac will connect to the 5, the SB2 to the 2.4...  Add to the fact the 2.4 won't go above 20 Mbps and it's a giant pain.  I was hoping this would give me an easier setup and not have to go back to 2 SSID's but I guess that isn't the case. 

Message 185 of 852
st_shaw
Master

@Schmak01 wrote:

Thanks for this thread, I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow.  I posted in another that the switching from 2.4 to 5 is driving me nuts.  I have a Macbook Air sitting right next to my Surface Book 2  and the Mac will connect to the 5, the SB2 to the 2.4...  Add to the fact the 2.4 won't go above 20 Mbps and it's a giant pain.  I was hoping this would give me an easier setup and not have to go back to 2 SSID's but I guess that isn't the case. 

Client devices make the final decision regarding which band to connect to.  You might check to see if you can select 5 GHz from within Windows.  This might not be possible on your hardware though. See this:

https://anderson.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014906108-Change-Preferred-WiFi-Band-for-Windows-C...

OR

https://superuser.com/questions/872956/setting-5-ghz-and-2-4-ghz-networks-with-same-settings

Message 186 of 852
BrightBox
Initiate

Thank you for this - I followed KHAD's instructions then got stuck - you saved my day!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 187 of 852
Pfredd
Guide

WHen I telnet in to my CRB40 (cable modem version), which is at firmware level V2.1.4.6_1.0.8, the shell is saying that config is an unknown command.

Any suggestions?

Message 188 of 852
Hawkmoth
Star

I have a Brother printer that shows two identical SSIDs when I use the setup wizard to connect it wirelessly to my new Orbi. So far, I haven't been able to distinguish which is 2.4 GHz and which is 5 GHz, but the printer can only use 2.4 GHz. It will successfully connect to either of the shown SSIDs, but it will only function correctly on one of them. I assume this means that I have chosen  to connect to the 2.4 GHz network by chance. It seems the printer won't switch to 2.4 if I connect to 5. Or maybe I haven't given it enough time to do that?

So to my question: If I use the protocol in this thread to give distinct names to the two networks, will the router continue to do band steering (I think that's the right term) to allow devices to switch between the two networks automatically as they move around? This steering is supposed to be one of the features that makes the Orbi an attractive option.

I use a Mac, so I'll need to figure out how to restore telnet to pursue this.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 189 of 852
nlsephiroth
Guide

That is odd that your Brother printer would be able to see both SSIDs if one is the 5Ghz and the other is 2.4. I avoided this entire issue by naming my SSIDs as SSIDNAME24 (for the 2.4Ghz)and SSIDNAME (for the 5Ghz). With that, devices that can do both bands will only stick to the one it remembers the password for. 

I had to do this for my smart plugs so that I was able to setup and communicate with them. The only issue now that I have is that the printer on the 2.4 wifi cannot communicate with 5Ghz wifi devices

Message 190 of 852
Hawkmoth
Star

@nlsephiroth wrote:

That is odd that your Brother printer would be able to see both SSIDs if one is the 5Ghz and the other is 2.4. I avoided this entire issue by naming my SSIDs as SSIDNAME24 (for the 2.4Ghz)and SSIDNAME (for the 5Ghz). With that, devices that can do both bands will only stick to the one it remembers the password for. 

I had to do this for my smart plugs so that I was able to setup and communicate with them. The only issue now that I have is that the printer on the 2.4 wifi cannot communicate with 5Ghz wifi devices

This sounds as if you used separate passwords for the two networks. Do I have to right? If you used the same password for both, whould your printer be able to communicate with the devices on the 5 GHz network?

My puzzle really is that the Brother printer detects two networks with identical SSIDs in the first place. No other connected device does that, so setting them up was easy - there was only one choice where to connect. When I check the list of connected devices, some are on 2.4 GHz and some on 5GHz. The printer currently shows as being connected to 2.4 GHz, so it is functioning correctly. Perhaps I should just leave well enough alone, but I am conncerned about what might happen if I have to reset the router and start from scratch again. So back to my original question: If I set up separate names fo the two networks, will band steering still work properly?

Message 191 of 852
cmgreenman
Apprentice

If your printer will only work on 2.4Ghz then it's impossible to be seeing the 5ghz SSID.  In order to see a 5Ghz SSID you MUST have 5ghz hardware.  And if you DID have 5Ghz hardware then your printer would be able to work on 5Ghz. 

What you are seeing is BOTH 2.4Ghz SSIDs.  One from the router and one from the satellite.  

Message 192 of 852
Hawkmoth
Star

@cmgreenman wrote:

If your printer will only work on 2.4Ghz then it's impossible to be seeing the 5ghz SSID.  In order to see a 5Ghz SSID you MUST have 5ghz hardware.  And if you DID have 5Ghz hardware then your printer would be able to work on 5Ghz. 

What you are seeing is BOTH 2.4Ghz SSIDs.  One from the router and one from the satellite.  

Now that actually makes sense! Thanks. (I now have to wonder why my printer would not owrk when I connected to the network several times, but finally did on a subsequent (and final so far) attempt.

Message 193 of 852
Hawkmoth
Star

@cmgreenman wrote:

I can now confirm that when I turn off the satellite, only one instance of the SSID shows on the printer. When the satellite is turned back on, the printer resumes showing two SSIDs with the same name.

Message 194 of 852
strouja
Aspirant

Thanks, I'm pretty tech savvy and did this.  Everything went smoot but the odd thing my devices that can see a 5 GHz netork (iPhone 7 and Mac) do not see the 5 GHz SSID.  The commands worked and I rebooted the router.  I went into the router again via telnet and I do see both SSIDs

root@RBR20:/# config get wl_ssid
James_2.4GHz
root@RBR20:/#
root@RBR20:/# config get wla_ssid
James-5GHz
root@RBR20:/#

I am wondering if the latest firmware which I applied stops this from working??  

I'm on firrmware V2.1.4.16 on my router and 2 orbi satellites.  

I set up my Orbi as an Access Point.  

I even powered off and powered back on both satellites.  

The gui from netgear still shows both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID as only James_2.4GHz

I'm attaching a screenshot of it.

I'd like to know if this still works for others with the latest firmware.  FYI I bought the NETGEAR Orbi Home Mesh WiFi System | 3-Pack (RBK23) and not the RBK53 (there was not drop-down selection for the RBK23).

PS Also after I rebooted telnet was automatically unchecked from the debug GUI.  So they must have added that as a feature to disable telnet after rebooting.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 195 of 852
khad
Apprentice

I can confirm that my setup has been working continuously since my initial post with the instructions. I have automatic updates enabled, so I am also using firmware 2.1.4.16.

I don't know enough about all the variations of Orbi models, but I will say that mine is RBR50. I notice yours is RBR20. I don't suspect that is the culprit, but I did note that difference.

I'm not able to help you troubleshoot the situation, but perhaps that will give you some confidence to press on.

Message 196 of 852
strouja
Aspirant

khad, thanks.  I ended up returning my unit on Amazon.  I spent a few hours and we had worse performance than my original asus router.  I moved sattelites around a bit and played with the channels and could not figure it out.  I did not want to spend more time on it plus not seeing the two different channels was still an issue.  But the knock-out punch was that we got intermittent performance.  I was really surprised as did my homework and recommend the Orbi to others that liked it.  Thanks again for replying, James

Message 197 of 852
Walhalla
Guide

@strouja

I think they changed the variable for the 5g ssid. Here it works on v2.1.4.16 with the following commands:

config set wla_2nd_ssid="YOURSSID"
config commit
reboot

I know that you already returned your unit, but I hope it will be helpful for other people.

Message 198 of 852
Re-natus
Tutor

Khad’s excellent solution to Orbi’s issues with auto-channel selection has still not been adopted as a configuration option by Netgear, oddly. I get that Orbi is supposed to make this automatic, but clearly its deployment of that is not always effective, particularly on iOS devices. Being able to recognise and force selection of either 5 or 2.4 manually does not seem to be an unreasonable ask of an Orbi configuration option. Heck, even Apple Airport has it.  

But, to use khad’s wonderfully effective solution you need Telnet and to get Telnet on a Mac that’s running High Sierra or above requires its installation probably using Homebrew. BUT, Telnet is no longer considered secure for the non-tech-savvy, as it opens a lot of ports as default, (not just as it transmits unencrypted).  Also, some have concerns about Homebrew for the uninitiated given its power and the occasional hack. 

So my question is this. Does anyone know a way to edit the Orbi settings from a Mac, without installing these programmes? 

Thanks, Alan

Message 199 of 852
Schmak01
Apprentice

@Re-natus wrote:

Khad’s excellent solution to Orbi’s issues with auto-channel selection has still not been adopted as a configuration option by Netgear, oddly. I get that Orbi is supposed to make this automatic, but clearly its deployment of that is not always effective, particularly on iOS devices. Being able to recognise and force selection of either 5 or 2.4 manually does not seem to be an unreasonable ask of an Orbi configuration option. Heck, even Apple Airport has it.  

But, to use khad’s wonderfully effective solution you need Telnet and to get Telnet on a Mac that’s running High Sierra or above requires its installation probably using Homebrew. BUT, Telnet is no longer considered secure for the non-tech-savvy, as it opens a lot of ports as default, (not just as it transmits unencrypted).  Also, some have concerns about Homebrew for the uninitiated given its power and the occasional hack. 

So my question is this. Does anyone know a way to edit the Orbi settings from a Mac, without installing these programmes? 

Thanks, Alan

You can create a linux flash drive, boot off of that, and use it to connect:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-boot-a-linux-live-usb-stick-on-your-mac/

Message 200 of 852
Top Contributors
Announcements