Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set up Orbi with optical fiber connection?

shankara
Tutor

How to set up Orbi with optical fiber connection?

Hello: We have been happily using the Netgear Orbi RBR50 router with one satellite in our home here in India. But we have just got a new broadband connection for which we are having trouble setting up the Orbi.

The new connection is over optical fiber network. The new ISP gave us their own router with the connection but we want to use the Orbi instead. The trouble is that the ISP's router connects to the wall-mounted box (presumably the modem) via a PON (passive optical network) port. The Orbi does not have a PON port. So I cannot connect the Orbi directly to the wall-mounted device. How should I set up the Orbi in such a situation? Should I connect it to the ISP's router and switch off the ISP-router's WiFi? Or is there some other way? Thanks for any help! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to set up Orbi with optical fiber connection?

Orbi must be connected with an ethernet cable.  If the ISP's router has an optical port that connects to the actual fiber, then the only option is to connect the Orbi to that ISP device.  (My son has similar service in North Carolina.)  Yes, it would be be better to disable any WiFi feature on the ISP device.

(It would be even more desirable to disable any "routing" features as well.)

Good Luck

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7